Menu

Reading programs for a first grader that "may be" dyslexic?

Hi all,

My 6.5 y/o is working her way through her phonics and learning to read (Yeah!) She was recently evaluated by a team of SLP, neuroguy, and MD; they mentioned she may have dyslexia, but she is young, and we haven't met formally with them yet to get results. Is Spalding the way to go? I don't want to curriculum jump, but AAR level 1 is working, she likes it, but AAR 2 may not be out for some time. I don't want to lose the progress we are making.

Thoughts?

I would use Orton/Gillingham methods rather than Spalding with a potential dyslexic. This thread talks about using Spalding with a dyslexic and post 5 talks about why it might be a problem. http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116897 My concern would be that it wouldn't be incremental enough for most dyslexics.

What I did with my "potentially dyslexic" was I See Sam to get us going and then Recipe for Reading. Recipe for Reading is an inexpensive way but there are other Orton Gillingham methods as well--Barton Reading, Wilson, Go Phonics, Sensational Strategies, and I'm sure there are others.

A different altogether approach that might work with dyslexia is ABeCeDarian. I used parts of it for my son and would have perhaps done it outright if I hadn't already spent what I had available that year.

We really liked First Start Reading by Memoria Press because it was nice and slow with tons of review and it focused on short vowels for nearly the entire year. I would also start AAS as soon as you can, it has been a huge lifesaver here for ds and is improving his reading as much as his spelling (it is an O-G program).

Hi all,

My 6.5 y/o is working her way through her phonics and learning to read (Yeah!) She was recently evaluated by a team of SLP, neuroguy, and MD; they mentioned she may have dyslexia, but she is young, and we haven't met formally with them yet to get results. Is Spalding the way to go? I don't want to curriculum jump, but AAR level 1 is working, she likes it, but AAR 2 may not be out for some time. I don't want to lose the progress we are making.

Thoughts?

I'd wait for the evaluation results before making any changes. If she does have dyslexia, there are a variety of excellent programs available, but which programs to use may depend on the slp results.