Menu

Critical Thinking - K4/K5 and Early Elementary

JKKJ04

Long story short, I am curious what some good resources are for critical thinking skills for young children.

It was recommended to another friend to skip "teaching reading" and work on critical thinking because reading will come to her child anyways. I am just wondering the logic behind that and what resources are out there. I have seen a few critical reasoning things listed in peoples signatures, so I figured you were a good group to ask.

Thanks!

~ Kara

Long story short, I am curious what some good resources are for critical thinking skills for young children.

It was recommended to another friend to skip "teaching reading" and work on critical thinking because reading will come to her child anyways. I am just wondering the logic behind that and what resources are out there. I have seen a few critical reasoning things listed in peoples signatures, so I figured you were a good group to ask.

Thanks!

~ Kara

I'm not sure who your friend is taking advice from, but if she is being told to skip "teaching reading" you might suggest she look to different people for educational advice. Developing critical thinking skills is great, but it is not a substitute for learning to read. It is terrible "advise."

Bill

I should of clarified things more so, my friends daughter is three, the suggestion was to focus more on critical thinking and spend a lot of time reading because she is already learning basic phonics and such. The friend suggesting critical thinking teaches her children Using systematic sequential phonics which is where I think she was coming from.

Any other suggestions other than critical thinking company?

I should of clarified things more so, my friends daughter is three, the suggestion was to focus more on critical thinking and spend a lot of time reading because she is already learning basic phonics and such. The friend suggesting critical thinking teaches her children Using systematic sequential phonics which is where I think she was coming from.

At that age, I'd say neither is necessary. Independent play would be more beneficial. Get out of the way and let your 3 year old be a 3 year old. :)

I strongly doubt "critical thinking" workbooks at age 3 will have any effect on long term critical thinking abilities. Imaginative play, however, is incredibly beneficial for that age child.

Any other suggestions other than critical thinking company?

Prufrock Press. Tin Man Press.

Also, mathematics curriculums like CSMP, MEP, Singapore maths, reading aloud and discussion, all of these improve a child's critical thinking ablities.