Menu

e-reader - Nook vs everything else

My sister-in-law showed us her Nook (color) and told us how much she loves it. She said she never thought she would be able to read off one because of her love of books (my thoughts right now).

Anyway, my college aged nephew as a Kindle (black and white) and wishes he had a color Kindle (I guess that would be the Fire).

I just did a quick search and apparently there are two other e-readers that are nicer than both the Kindle and Nook, just no name brand recognition.

Since I am now a little more interested, I thought I should buy one with color (because my nephew told us that some of his college classes are e-reader only and it would be nice to have colored textbooks). Anyone think that is important?

*** - I really don't like Barnes and Noble, so I hate the idea of buying anything from them, but the Nook has a much higher rating than the Fire.

*** - We don't have anything with "i" in our house, so we probably wouldn't be open to the "i-pad" or whatever reader the "i" stuff has ... HOWEVER ... I'm open to reading any suggestings you have on the "i" reader.

Thanks for any direction you have to offer.

Looking at both the Kindle Fire and the newest Nook Color, I prefer the Nook Color. One advantage it has over the Kindle is the ability to add a micro SD card to increase storage capability. The Kindle does not offer this. I dislike running out of space, so it is an important feature to me. It may not be important to you.

If all you want to do is read books, then the black and white ereader would be good, and it is less expensive. My dd loves her Nook Touch (black and white). She got it before going away to college so she could have lots of books with her, and she can download books without needing a car (she doesn't have one) to go to a book store. It is not practical to take so many paper books away to college. If you want to read magazines or books with illustrations or use it for more than reading - like playing app games, looking at photos, watching movies, etc. - then having color is important.

We have a Nook Color and Kindles (just the regular one with the keyboard). I so much prefer the e-ink Kindle that I just purchased two for my girls. (One already uses the Nook.) I really dislike the Nook Color. I like reading the e-ink. I much prefer the longer battery life! I dislike touch screens in general... And, the Nook just confuses me! The Kindle is much simpler to operate. On top of that, I can find free books much, much easier! The books I've gotten for free on the Nook are formatted oddly. :confused: I haven't been able to check out library books on it. I can't find any that are available that I am interested in reading.

I have a Nook Color and a 3rd Gen Kindle (with the keyboard). I've made the Nook Color into a fully functional Android tablet with a Nook to Android SD card. I love it as a tablet, but not as an e-reader. I FAR prefer the Kindle as an e-reader because of the e-ink. I do not like reading on the NC because it is backlit. It's the same reason I wouldn't want to use an iPad as an e-reader.

The Fire is brand new (just released on 11/15), and is an e-reader tablet. This means you can surf the web, watch movies, use apps, and read books. You cannot expand the memory, but you do have access to free cloud storage through Amazon.

I've got a Kindle 2nd generation and love it for reading. The e-ink is just like reading a book. My boys are getting Fires for Christmas, and after playing around with theirs (uh, I mean setting them up), I would really like one of those, too. I don't know if it would replace my Kindle for long stretches of reading (I don't know how long I could comfortably read on the backlit screen), but it would be nice to have (reading at night when I wake up, etc.).

I love Amazon and their customer service. I tolerate B&N and am frustrated by their customer service, website, and coupon codes/discounts online. Because of this bias, I've never considered a Nook.

I have an original Nook color that has been rooted and turned into an Android tablet. We play android games on it. I can also use it to check email upstairs if I don't want to go down to a computer. For using it as a reader....I installed the Kindle app for Android, and I set the background to sepia and enlarge the print, and it's great ! I don't read many Kindle books though. Just the free or super cheap ones. Otherwise I use the library and paperbackswap because it costs less.

I have an original Nook color that has been rooted and turned into an Android tablet. We play android games on it. I can also use it to check email upstairs if I don't want to go down to a computer. For using it as a reader....I installed the Kindle app for Android, and I set the background to sepia and enlarge the print, and it's great ! I don't read many Kindle books though. Just the free or super cheap ones. Otherwise I use the library and paperbackswap because it costs less.

Ohhhhh. I'm going to try this!

For reading pure text, any of the eInk Pearl devices is the way to go. The truth is that despite the efforts of their marketing departments, the eInk Nooks and Kindles are pretty much interchangeable in terms of hardware features, display quality, and so on. The real difference is their "ecosystems". Most people find Amazon a lot better to deal with than B&N.

For reading pure text, I'd recommend either the Kindle 3 (now the Kindle Keyboard) if you need a keyboard and/or support for audiobooks. Otherwise, go with the new baby Kindle 4. A lot of people have bought the Kindle Touch, but it has (in my opinion) a fatal flaw: no page-turn buttons. You have to move your finger to touch the screen every time you want to turn a page, which gets in the way of reading (not to mention smearing up the screen).

The Kindle 3 was my first e-reader, and I liked it a lot. When the new Kindle 4 shipped, I ordered one for my wife, forgetting that she likes to play Scrabble and other games. The lack of a physical keyboard on the baby Kindle 4 makes that pretty much impossible, so I gave her my Kindle 3 and took her baby Kindle 4. We bought the $79 version, with ads. I hate and despise ads, but the ones on the baby Kindle 4 don't bother me a bit. They're only on the screensaver and as a tiny box on the page that lists your books. They're not displayed while you're actually reading.

The other thing I like about the baby Kindle 4 is that it's enough smaller and lighter than the Kindle 3/Kindle Keyboard that anyone should be able to read with one hand. I'm a big guy. I can palm an NBA basketball, but the Kindle 3 is just large enough that I wasn't completely comfortable holding it with one hand.

All of that said, the e-Ink Kindles and Nooks suck for anything other than reading plain text. If you want to read children's books, technical books, magazines, and so on, the Kindle Fire or the equivalent Nook is a better choice. The problem with them is that they suck for reading plain text. The backlit displays cause eyestrain, and short battery life (relative to the e-Ink devices) means you're likely to run out of charge right in the middle of reading something.

Most serious readers I know have an e-Ink Kindle or Nook for reading fiction and other text-based stuff. Some of them also have an iPad/Kindle Fire/Nook Color for handling things that the e-Ink devices don't do very well.

i have a nook color with an sdcard that makes it rooted into a full tablet. I love it! (typing on it now actually). I bought it refurbished from Barnes and noble on ebay...it was 119 and free shipping. the sd card was 30...but you can root it for free. I love it.

eta...i have the kindke app...so I can access those books too

Edited by mytwomonkeys

Is a Kobo one of the other good e-readers you have discovered?

I haven't heard about it yet, but I'll go look it up.

We went to B&N today to look at their Nooks and (surprise surprise) I fell in love with the Tablet. My son wants one for Christmas and since his laptop (my old one) is dying, I might consider buying him one.

My daughter still only wants an e-reader (e-ink), so we need to do a lot of thinking.

We are an Amazon Prime family, so I like the idea of the Fire. Decisions, decisions, decisions. :D

I haven't heard about it yet, but I'll go look it up.

We went to B&N today to look at their Nooks and (surprise surprise) I fell in love with the Tablet. My son wants one for Christmas and since his laptop (my old one) is dying, I might consider buying him one.

My daughter still only wants an e-reader (e-ink), so we need to do a lot of thinking.

We are an Amazon Prime family, so I like the idea of the Fire. Decisions, decisions, decisions. :D

Did you know that you can play around with the Fire at Target, Staples, and other places?

Did you know that you can play around with the Fire at Target, Staples, and other places?

We went to B&N today to see the Nooks. We definitely loved the Tablet, but we all agreed to consider the Fire because Amazon.com is a much more stable company and has a larger selection of everything.

After we got home today and looked at the Fire's info, etc., I told the children that I wished we could see a Fire before we bought one.

I am so very happy I checked back here and read for tip. THANKS!

I have a Nook Color and a 3rd Gen Kindle (with the keyboard). I've made the Nook Color into a fully functional Android tablet with a Nook to Android SD card. I love it as a tablet, but not as an e-reader. I FAR prefer the Kindle as an e-reader because of the e-ink. I do not like reading on the NC because it is backlit. It's the same reason I wouldn't want to use an iPad as an e-reader.

:iagree:

Same here.