Menu

Question on Foerster Alg. 1 problem

Could someone please explain problem #13 on page 344. I understand how to get "a" and "b" and I have set "c" up using the point-slope form of the equation, but why the continuation sign (...) in the solution?:blush:

Also, could some kind person explain about "d" on the same problem. I have spent all day on working ahead in math and science and I think my brain is fried.

Looking at the solution, it appears the continuation sign is just their rather odd way of showing that it's a repeating decimal that they're not rounding off to 0.07667 or 0.0767 or 0.077 - I've much more commonly seen this as a dot or line above the repeated number(s).

(d) is just y=mx+b. You figured out the formula when you plugged the x and y values in and solved for b in © - in either one, the constant "b" ends up being 0.11. (which it doesn't if you round the slope to .07667 - which I guess is why they didn't round it).

Edited by matroyshka

Could someone please explain problem #13 on page 344. I understand how to get "a" and "b" and I have set "c" up using the point-slope form of the equation, but why the continuation sign (...) in the solution?:blush:

Also, could some kind person explain about "d" on the same problem. I have spent all day on working ahead in math and science and I think my brain is fried.

the ..... is used to symbolize that the 6 is going on forever. I'm not sure why he used it in the problem though.

Did you understand how the point-slope answer? If so, the cost of the box is what it would be when the box is empty or the # of ozs in the box is 0. 1.49-(18 * .076666)= .11

Does that help?

the ..... is used to symbolize that the 6 is going on forever. I'm not sure why he used it in the problem though.

Did you understand how the point-slope answer? If so, the cost of the box is what it would be when the box is empty or the # of ozs in the box is 0. 1.49-(18 * .076666)= .11

Does that help?

Eight, that helps a lot. I have a tendency to over-analyze and make the problems more difficult than they are.