Menu

Any secrets to making it through a few extremely rough days when depressed?

As I have mentioned, I am in a depressed phase right now. Overall, I am dealing pretty well and making progress but the last two or three days have been very bad and I am wondering if there is something specific I can do to deal with the pain immediately, as in right now today. I have an appt. on Monday but I am in a very bad place today. None of my usual distractions are working at all. Does anyone know of anything that will temporarily lift my mood until I cna get in on Monday?

:grouphug:

What works for me is one of two things, or both of them:

Starting the day over, taking a good deal of time on hygiene. I take a nice, long hot shower including washing and conditioning my hair and doing a really good job shaving. Then I pluck my eyebrows so they look really nice, apply lotion and maybe a little perfume, do my hair really nice, and apply make up. I might give myself a manicure and paint my toenails. I finish with putting on an outfit that I feel good in.

Then get busy doing something social. I might run errands, but the better option is to find a friend to socialize with. A play date for the kids where the moms hang out and chat works. Better is a mom's night out...chatting over coffee, dinner out, a movie, etc.

It can be really hard to want to put in that effort when depressed, but I've found that it works really well so I'm more likely to put in the effort as soon as I realize I'm heading downhill. It's easier to stop the slide at the beginning than to climb back up from the bottom.

I hope you find relief.

I agree with joannqn. Even if you have to force yourself (and you probably will), go through the motions and DO SOMETHING. Anything. Taking good care of hygiene and keeping yourself busy are huge. The hardest times for me were when I had nothing to do but think and feel bad. Move move move, even if it's just busy work.

It sounds silly but Red Bull really picks up my mood.

Something else that might help is to keep in mind that "it's just a feeling". I would think, it's like my leg hurts...I know it will not always hurt. There will be a time when it feels better. This will pass and be behind me. It helped me to feel somewhat detached from the feelings, observing them from outside myself, instead of being carried away by them, and focus on reaching the other side of the experience.

I hope you feel better soon. :grouphug:

Edited by laundrycrisis

:grouphug: I'm so sorry!

As crazy as it sounds, when I'm really down or upset, I do housework. Heavy housework like scrubbing floors, cleaning windows, scouring the fridge (inside and out,) or really polishing *all* the furniture in the house (even the icky crevices in our ancient, monster, upright piano) makes me feel like I'm doing something useful. It can also be exhausting, which can be a very good thing if I'm battling insomnia.

Hope the cloud lifts soon for you!

Exercise if you can, outside is best. If you can't exercise, at least sit in the sunshine for half an hour. Set a timer for 5 minutes and clean something--anything. Call a friend or extended family member on the phone just to chat--even if you don't feel like it and can't think of anything to talk about. Better, visit someone in person or invite a friend over. Keep some easy-prep healthy meals laid in so you don't have an excuse to not eat, or to binge on junk. Taking 2000 IUs per day of vitamin D has helped me a lot too.

When you see your doc, make sure he checks your thyroid and vit. D levels.

What I don't do--

I don't listen to any music, as the lyrics make me cry.

I don't carry any money, as I'll probably buy fast food with it and feel even crappier.

I don't isolate. Well, I do, but it's better if I get around some people I love who can just help me get out of my own head. Do you have someone like that? Someone who wouldn't just indulge you or pat you on the heart with platitudes, but can distract you?

:grouphug: Been there, Honey.

Now get off your butt and do something. Maybe go outside and run a bit?

Said in love. :D

I read an article a couple of years ago outlining the connection between doing something with your hands and an improvement in mind/mood. The related study found that people who DO something with their hands--knit, knead bread, build something, paint, scrapbook, garden, etc. etc. had a bump in happy feel good brain chemicals. The more useful and satisfying the activity, the bigger the bump.

Can you find a craft or activity to keep those hands busy and your mind soothed? Something that gives you pleasure, too...

I also agree with getting out for a time to stop a downward spiral. Head to the bookstore, have a cup of coffee and browse the magazines. Absorb the color, activity, and energy of other people.

Brisk exercise helps me tremendously, too. Preferably outside--no matter the weather.

Hang in there!

I read an article a couple of years ago outlining the connection between doing something with your hands and an improvement in mind/mood. The related study found that people who DO something with their hands--knit, knead bread, build something, paint, scrapbook, garden, etc. etc. had a bump in happy feel good brain chemicals. The more useful and satisfying the activity, the bigger the bump.

Can you find a craft or activity to keep those hands busy and your mind soothed? Something that gives you pleasure, too...

I also agree with getting out for a time to stop a downward spiral. Head to the bookstore, have a cup of coffee and browse the magazines. Absorb the color, activity, and energy of other people.

Brisk exercise helps me tremendously, too. Preferably outside--no matter the weather.

Hang in there!

Maybe time to finish my crochet project. Thanks for the idea.

As I have mentioned, I am in a depressed phase right now. Overall, I am dealing pretty well and making progress but the last two or three days have been very bad and I am wondering if there is something specific I can do to deal with the pain immediately, as in right now today. I have an appt. on Monday but I am in a very bad place today. None of my usual distractions are working at all. Does anyone know of anything that will temporarily lift my mood until I cna get in on Monday?

Caffeine and lots of it. It will push you towards mania temporarily until you can be seen on Monday.

Things I have done: Go for a walk or just sit outside. The sun helps.

Clean the bathroom. I know that sounds weird, but for some reason cleaning the bathroom can make me feel better.

Make and enjoy a good meal. I mean a really good meal. Something special that I normally wouldn't have.

Watch a funny movie. Something stupid and good, like Monty Python, Strange Brew, The Blues Brothers, whatever makes you laugh.

Call a friend. It's nice to hear about someone else's world.

Re-arrange a room. This takes energy but it can really feel good. Any big project that distracts is good.

That's all I can think of right now. :grouphug: I hope you feel better soon.

Clean the bathroom. I know that sounds weird, but for some reason cleaning the bathroom can make me feel better.

Weird, but this is the one chore I don't dread. Friends moan about how much they hate cleaning the bathroom, and all I can think is: Really? I strap on the rubber gloves, scrub the room, and enjoy the thought of how clean it is.

Hang in there!

:iagree: With everything. I was in a severe, severe post-partum depression after my first son was born. My best friend forced me to come to her house and scrapbook with her. I'd never done it before. I got hooked on it, and now I enjoy it so much. Just do something, anything that can occupy your hands and your mind will follow. Pampering yourself physically or even cleaning your house are also good suggestions. :grouphug:

:grouphug: I'm so sorry!

As crazy as it sounds, when I'm really down or upset, I do housework. Heavy housework like scrubbing floors, cleaning windows, scouring the fridge (inside and out,) or really polishing *all* the furniture in the house (even the icky crevices in our ancient, monster, upright piano) makes me feel like I'm doing something useful. It can also be exhausting, which can be a very good thing if I'm battling insomnia.

Hope the cloud lifts soon for you!

This is what I do. I sentence myself to hard physical work....which can be hard because of other health issues. Anyway, I am sending :grouphug:S and prayers. I hope you can get some relief.

Faithe

Organize something - closet, drawer, whole room

Vacuum - used to be my therapy in AK. We had great carpet and a wood stove. I felt like all was well when I could see the lines in the carpet.

Make something - I have to do something small, like a card, bracelet, or earrings. Scrapbooking is great, but too big of a project for me.

Good scents

Hot herbal tea

Funny TV show

Write a letter - I recently started faxing letters to my Gma. I want my letters to sound positive, so I am forced to recognize the good things going on in my life.

Definitely getting outside for a walk or weeding an area of your yard.

When I feel depressed sometimes little things help.

Listen to fun upbeat music :D

Go thru my scap books of fun family vactions that bring back happy memories.

I know these are just little suggestions but sometimes every little thing helps a tiny bit.

hugs to you.

:grouphug:I am just coming out of a bad phase like this myself. I try to do a lot of what has already been mentioned -- do things with my hands, listen to music, walk outside. I know some people get relief from removing things from their to-do list, but I actually find that adding things (within reason) really helps me, so I might take on a project to bake and freeze things or organize a closet. Anything that has a set end point with a finished result seems to be the key for me (as opposed to tasks like catching up the laundry, which will be undone instantly). I also try to just let my mind take a mental vacation by reading or watching something -- I rarely make time to enjoy fiction or watch a movie, but it can help me feel as if I have gotten a bit of a break from my surroundings. I hope you start to feel better soon.

Read this and thought to share. Good reminder for me also. :)

All of us get depressed at times, such as when a good friend moves away or dies, or during the holidays when we’re alone. We may also get depressed from lack of sunlight during dark winter months or when we listen to the news.

Inactivity (watching TV, reading escape novels) and sugar (chocolate) are sure-fire ways of turning temporary blahs into chronic depression.

These 5 steps will help. If 5 steps are too many, just do the first one. It will help you move on to the rest.

Put a copy of these 5 steps on your fridge. Then you’ll know where to look when you’re down and can’t get up.

STEP ONE: KEEP MOVING

Regular exercise improves your mood as much as medication.

The last thing most of us want to do when we’re depressed is exercise. But it’s the most important step you can take. Force yourself to move. Within 20-30 minutes, you’ll have more energy and feel better emotionally.

Force yourself to get out and walk. If it’s still daylight, get up right now and walk just for 20 minutes. You need to exercise 4-5 times a week to beat off depression. Daily is even better.

STEP TWO: DON’T ISOLATE YOURSELF

When you’re depressed, it’s difficult to reach out to others. But that’s just what you need to do.

Stop making excuses. Your friends love you even when you’re feeling down. They want to help you as much as you want to help them when they’re in need.

Pick up the phone and make a date with a friend to get together. Have them over for a cup of coffee or tea if you can’t get out.

Look for activities that will distract you and take your mind off your problems. Arrange to go for a walk and exercise with a friend.

Reach out, even if you don’t feel like it.

If no one you know is available to get together, volunteer your services somewhere. Offer to help out one time for just a few hours. If you like it, do it regularly. You’ll meet new people and feel better being around others.

STEP THREE: EAT HEALTHY FOODS

Some foods will add to your depression. Others have the opposite effect. For instance, it’s important to get enough protein – as much as 15-20 grams with each meal. You need protein to help make mood-regulating chemicals. Protein also keeps your blood sugar from dropping. Low blood sugar can cause fatigue and temporary depression.

Avoid any foods that trigger a low-blood-sugar response, such as sugar (honey, pure cane sugar juice, etc.), alcohol, fruit juices, and high quantities of refined carbohydrates (bread, crackers, white rice).

Get junk foods out of the house today.

When you want something sweet, eat a piece of fruit.

Eat small amounts of unrefined carbohydrates such as beans, fresh fruit, and brown rice. They help your brain release serotonin. Half a cup of a starch, such as brown rice or one piece of fruit, is a reasonably small amount.

Make eating good foods easy by planning in advance. Buy healthy frozen meals, especially those that are organic.

Get pre-washed, pre-cut salad greens and vegetables to either eat raw or to sauté with your entrée.

Have some bean dip on hand to eat for a meal or as a snack with carrots and celery.

Buy healthy prepared soups, either dried, frozen, or in boxes.

STEP FOUR: USE SUPPLEMENTS

St. John’s Wort is the most popular and well-studied herb for minor and moderate depression. It has been tested head-to-head with Prozac. It often works just as well as Prozac with fewer side effects.

One reason it works so well is because of its side effect. It causes photosensitivity. Bright light therapy helps reduce depression. By increasing your sensitivity to light, St. John’s Wort magnifies the effects of normal light. It acts just like you’re being exposed to continuous light therapy.

The daily dosage varies from 300-1000 mg a day.

Try it for at least a month.

One warning: St. John’s Wort can reduce the effectiveness of some medications. If you take any drugs at all, consult with your doctor or pharmacist before taking this herb.

Raises serotonin levels

Helps relieve chronic insomnia

Helps relieve mild depression – especially if you’re healthy and not taking other medications.

May help relieve panic attacks – when taken 2-3 times a day

Because this herb can sensitize the skin to sunlight, take it in the evening after the sun has set.

5-HTP

Helps with:

• Sleep problems – quality and duration

• Emotional eating and evening cravings – helps suppress appetite

• Anxiety and depression as it increases serotonin levels

• Melatonin production

• Serotonin production

Best if taken sublingually - opening the capsule and pouring the contents on your tongue.

Try to avoid eating or drinking anything for 20 minutes before and after taking it.

No more than about 3 capsules a day – can safely take up to 400 mg per day – although most need less.

Loses its efficacy if taken every single day – best if you take breaks – sometimes alternating days – and sometimes take a break for an entire month or so

It may take 1-2 weeks to notice any effects and up to 6 weeks to notice the full benefits.

Be cautious about taking this if you’re on anti-depressants

STEP FIVE: USE AROMATHERAPY TO HEAL

Essential oils are never used topically. Never take them internally unless you are under the care of health care practitioner skilled in using them. However, you can safely rub a few drops on your wrist, put them in your bath, or add them to oil and give your hands and feet an aromatherapy massage.

Use only pure essential oils. Synthetic ones won’t work as well.

Lavender is known for its ability to lift depression. It relaxes, stimulates, calms, and invigorates.

Ravensera is energizing and uplifting. It helps relieve chronic depression and promotes energy and mental clarity.

Bitter Orange helps lift anxiety, depression, nervousness, and insomnia.

Patchouli calms the nerves, improves concentration, and lifts depression.

REMEMBER THAT: Everything changes. Today’s depression will turn into tomorrow’s peacefulness and joy if you’ll allow it. Concentrate on everything you have rather than what you don’t have. Appreciate each little blessing. :grouphug: