Menu

How do you keep cats out of crib?

I'm not saying one way or another whether I condone this...

But I did read on another parenting forum once where a family set up a crib, laid some cardboard down in it, covered the cardboard with double-sided sticky tape, and announced that their family cat jumped in once and only once. :lol:

I found once the baby was here, the crib was much less appealing to the cats. ;)

Heather

:iagree: I was going to say the best way to keep a cat out of a crib is to put a baby in it! We never had any issues with cats jumping in the crib. The cats much preferred adult company!

We've set up our crib for the new baby and I've been keeping the door close for now but once the baby is here the door will need to stay open. If the door is open they both like to climb in and around the crib, how do I keep them out of it once baby is here?

I agree with a pp that once the baby is in there it's a less appealing place for kitty.

That said, one of our cats always slept in the crib with ds. Guess what? Ds lived! The cat didn't suck his breath or any of the other gobble-d-gook! The cat slept in the corner away from him.

Even if the cat slept next to the baby do you really think it would sleep on the infant's face? Has the cat ever tried to sleep on your face?

Seriously, I wouldn't be worried in the least.

I agree with a pp that once the baby is in there it's a less appealing place for kitty.

That said, one of our cats always slept in the crib with ds. Guess what? Ds lived! The cat didn't suck his breath or any of the other gobble-d-gook! The cat slept in the corner away from him.

Even if the cat slept next to the baby do you really think it would sleep on the infant's face? Has the cat ever tried to sleep on your face?

If I had a baby, that wouldn't be my concern. My concern would be the cat pouncing the baby. My cat is very playful and she's been banned from MY room at night because whenever I move my toes, she pounces, sometimes with claws. It can hurt. I wouldn't want her doing that to a baby. She doesn't mean for it to hurt, but often it does. Also, she does, indeed, like to curl up and lay right on top of us and will often crawl right up onto my chest, often close to my face and this can make my eyes itch and water some as I appear to have developed a minor allergy in adulthood. I'd be unsure as to whether that would affect a new baby. Lastly, I really wouldn't want cat hair shedding all over my new baby's crib sheets.

If I had a baby, that wouldn't be my concern. My concern would be the cat pouncing the baby. My cat is very playful and she's been banned from MY room at night because whenever I move my toes, she pounces, sometimes with claws. It can hurt. I wouldn't want her doing that to a baby. She doesn't mean for it to hurt, but often it does. Also, she does, indeed, like to curl up and lay right on top of us and will often crawl right up onto my chest, often close to my face and this can make my eyes itch and water some as I appear to have developed a minor allergy in adulthood. I'd be unsure as to whether that would affect a new baby. Lastly, I really wouldn't want cat hair shedding all over my new baby's crib sheets.

Ah, I forgot about that! My cat quit doing that when they were about 2 years old. One of my cats used to love to sleep on my chest, but never tried it on Ds. You could always keep the door shut and shoo the cat. The cat hair is definitely the pits! I lost both my cats this spring. I miss them terribly, but my allergies don't bother near as bad without all the cat hair in my bed. I also do not miss the litterbox at all!

My cat was enamored of my daughter from the moment she came home from the hospital.

No matter how we tried, she was like Houdini and always managed to get back in the crib.

She would lie at one end, my daughter at the other.

Nothing ever happened.

Till the day she died (in my daughters room), she never stopped adoring my daughter.

Me either.

The only time I've ever had a cat want to sleep on my baby was with my last dd. When dd was just a few months old, we brought home a 5 week old barn kitten. From the moment we brought Lulu kitty home she would come running as soon as I'd sit down to nurse baby girl and curl up against my chest and on top of baby girl while she nursed. Baby girl would wrap her arm around Lulu kitty like she was a teddy bear and just keep on nursing while Lulu purred away.

I've found that in general a crying baby tends to make the crib a much less appealing place, lol.

Of course, there are always exceptions. My parents have a cat that they adopted about 6 months before my youngest sister was born. When mom and baby came home from the hospital (mom with a broken tailbone) Cleo (the cat) decided that it was up to her to keep the baby happy and safe. There was not a force on earth that could pry that cat away from that baby. Cleo didn't ever get up in my sister's face, but she slept next to her, purred her to sleep/ soothed her when she cried, etc.We even caught Cleo, on more than one occasion, carefully picking up the pacifier by the handle and plugging the nipple portion into the baby's mouth. (:svengo:) My sister learned to crawl and later walk by using the cat as a way to get up and then support her when she moved. My sister is Cleo's baby, even now, and the poor arthritic cat still dutifully climbs the stairs every night (every hour, on the hour) to make sure that my sister is snug and safe in her bed. (She spends the rest of the night patrolling house, going from door to window to window and making sure that there isn't anybody trying to get in.)

Edited by theAmbitiousHousewife

I'm sincerely wondering why the baby's door has to stay open once the baby comes?

I ask b/c my baby's door is closed all the time and has been closed since he was born. His room has its own heater and it's turned up higher than the rest of the house, so we close the door to keep the heat in.

My mother found a cat asleep on one of my siblings face. Fortunately she found the cat before my brother suffocated. Cats were banned from inside the house after that.

We've set up our crib for the new baby and I've been keeping the door close for now but once the baby is here the door will need to stay open. If the door is open they both like to climb in and around the crib, how do I keep them out of it once baby is here?

Our cat loved the crib before the baby was born. Had to change the sheet before baby went in the crib it was so bad. But once the cat saw the baby in there once, she never got in again.

We hung a screen door to keep the cats & dog out of the room. Well, mostly, it was to keep one cat out, but as it turned out, that cat didn't like babies, and never wanted to be around the baby, even as the baby grew into a toddler and beyond. The other cat wasn't interested in the baby until the "baby" was old enough to feed the cat her cat food. :D

The dog, on the other hand, wanted to be in the baby's room all the time, so the screen door came in handy to keep her out, as she would pant and scratch at her collar (which caused her tags to jingle), which would wake the baby. This was bad as it took me forever to get the baby to sleep. I think I had the only baby in the world who hated to go to sleep!!!! :001_huh: