Menu

Would you report a homeschooling family for educational neglect if...

The children CAN NOT READ.

CAN NOT READ

This is abuse. Plain and simple.

Bill

:iagree:

And apparently the DESIRE to learn to read is there as one of the children is struggling and would like to be able to self-teach math but cannot due to her lack of ability.

This is such a shame, holding children back in this way. :(

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CAN NOT READ

At what age does it become abuse plain and simple? Seriously.

What is the RIGHT age for a child to learn to read?

I really just don't get it. My kids were individuals and learned when they did. One was early, the other late. My son was finally reading decently at 11. He took a standardized test at 12 and was at the lower side of average. At 14, he was "normal." He's graduating at 17. Did it hurt him to wait to learn to read? Not really. And my daughter did everything a bit early (reading chapter books at 3, algebra at 7, graduated at 15 with many college credits). She is still in college though she could have done differently in college and graduated already. Did doing everything early really matter? Not really.

Edited by 2J5M9K

I've refrained from responding to this thread for a few reasons. The main reason is that whether or not I report a family for neglect is extremely situational.

I would need to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was neglect. It would also depend on the compulsory attendance laws of the state. If the state requires no reporting, classes, hours, attendance, testing, assessments, etc., then proving neglect would be difficult as the state (district) school officials will not be able to charge truancy. If CPS was contacted, they would most likely be limited based on the law. If it is a "low regulation" state, there may not be anything CPS could do beyond investigating whether the children were properly cared for and fed - no abuse and such. If the state did have regulations and the family was in violation, a person would only need to contact their district school officials. In the end if the family is able to produce the proper lesson plans, assessments, testing, hours, days, etc., the school officials would most likely do nothing.

So, in the end, even if one is completely convinced the children are neglected, there may be little, if anything, officials can do - depending on the state and its homeschool laws.

I have not read this whole monster of a thread and I am not going to devote the time to do that. I wanted to give my opinion on what little I have read.

I would NOT think it was my job, duty, or business to report the parents given the information I've read. Educational neglect would be defined dependent on their state laws and standards. It sounds to me like the parents are providing an education of their choice. I doubt the op has sat in on school sessions at the family's residence. I wouldn't expect another grown adult to give in explicit detail their homeschool plans. They could be doing ANYTHING, regardless of whatever comments they've made. It most certainly does not sound as though they are allowing the children to reach adulthood without being able to read and do basic Math.

It definitely sounds like they are far away from anything I would choose to do with my children, but barring seeing a child who was being truly neglected, being neither provided nor allowed any education I would not even consider reporting. It is most certainly not my job to judge how someone else educates their child and I wouldn't report whether I thought they were up to par of state standards or not. I would draw the line at a child who was being neither provided nor allowed any education. I would see that as neglect.

CAN NOT READ

Bill

But Bill, she said that they do learn to read as teens, and that the current teens are reading/writing at level with their peers. So the issue isn't that these children are being raised to be illiterate, which is what everyone seems to be focusing on, but rather that this family is not actively teaching until a much later age than what is currently the mainstream norm. That, in and of itself, does not seem to be a reason to tar and feather this family.

Tibbie, I think what you're doing -- offering suggestions, engaging the children and parents on terms that work for them -- is great, and the best you can do. I definitely thing reporting to any state officials would be a bad idea.

But Bill, she said that they do learn to read as teens, and that the current teens are reading/writing at level with their peers. So the issue isn't that these children are being raised to be illiterate, which is what everyone seems to be focusing on, but rather that this family is not actively teaching until a much later age than what is currently the mainstream norm. That, in and of itself, does not seem to be a reason to tar and feather this family.

Granted, I may have missed something along the way as this thread is huge but I am 99% certain that the OP posted that the parents are actively keeping the children from being academically prepared for higher education. That sounds to me like the kids are NOT on the same footing academically as their peers as teenagers.

Someone asked up thread when the "right" time to teach reading/writing/math is. I'd say a pretty darned good indicator is when a child is showing signs or asking for help. A child who is struggling and wants help and is denied it due to laziness or craziness on the part of the parents is being neglected, period.

Granted, I may have missed something along the way as this thread is huge but I am 99% certain that the OP posted that the parents are actively keeping the children from being academically prepared for higher education. That sounds to me like the kids are NOT on the same footing academically as their peers as teenagers.

Right. But there's a difference between being academically prepared for college, and reading and writing on level with peers, which is what I referenced. Are you suggesting that not being academically prepared for college is the issue here? I think there are a lot of people who don't feel college is the goal when raising children, and I think that can be a valid perspective.

I have been reading this thread with fascination. I would love to hear what the kids in this family are learning, as it's impossible for them to be learning nothing. I wonder what they are capable of at 6 & 9yrs that my own kids of that age wouldn't be able to do. Can they garden? Cook a meal? Bake bread? Build a table? I'm not prepared to say that those kids are worse off than mine just because we focus on reading while they're doing something else.

Someone asked up thread when the "right" time to teach reading/writing/math is. I'd say a pretty darned good indicator is when a child is showing signs or asking for help. A child who is struggling and wants help and is denied it due to laziness or craziness on the part of the parents is being neglected, period.

They have a child who wants to learn math, the child cannot do.so because he/she cannot read and no one is helping with the math.

None of the kids have completed elementary math. They need to know the four basic operations, order off operations, fractions, decimal, and percents.

There is a problem when the parents are purposely holding the kids back! Yes, kids can catch up if they start learning late; but someone needs to teach them and guide them.

They have a child who wants to learn math, the child cannot do.so because he/she cannot read and no one is helping with the math.

None of the kids have completed elementary math. They need to know the four basic operations, order off operations, fractions, decimal, and percents.

There is a problem when the parents are purposely holding the kids back! Yes, kids can catch up if they start learning late; but someone needs to teach them and guide them.

Actually, the OP posted several pages back that the "refusal to progress in math due to reading issues" was a problem with getting the Singapore math teacher's guide. The OP suggested another math program and the father was interested and said he'd check into it.

It's difficult to keep up with all the info in this thread, I understand. :)

I have been reading this thread with fascination. I would love to hear what the kids in this family are learning, as it's impossible for them to be learning nothing. I wonder what they are capable of at 6 & 9yrs that my own kids of that age wouldn't be able to do. Can they garden? Cook a meal? Bake bread? Build a table? I'm not prepared to say that those kids are worse off than mine just because we focus on reading while they're doing something else.

My 6 year old can help me in the garden, bake bread, understand the basic order of ingredients for the most common meals I make and she can even sew some basic things on my sewing machine with help. This doesn't mean that she can't also learn to read before she's 14.

Edited by drexel

Actually, the OP posted several pages back that the "refusal to progress in math due to reading issues" was a problem with getting the Singapore math teacher's guide. The OP suggested another math program and the father was interested and said he'd check into it.

It's difficult to keep up with all the info in this thread, I understand. :)

True, I can't keep up with what has been said where and it is too enormous to go back and look for past posts that I think I've read! I need to follow the advice on the tag for this thread "die thread die". :tongue_smilie:

My 6 year old can help me in the garden, bake bread, understand the basic order of ingredients for the most common meals I make and she can even sew some basic things on my sewing machine with help. This doesn't mean that she can't also learn to read before she's 14.

Yes, yes. But my point is that it`s *possible* that a family would deem it more important for young children to focus on skills that are different than the ones I focus on in my family. If a 10 yr old can do an oil change on a car and build an adirondack chair by himself (not things my child is likely to be doing solo at 10), but can`t read Percy Jackson by himself, does that mean he`s neglected and my kid is the one that is better off because she reads 2000-2500 pages a week?

Some people have different goals for their kids. I`m not convinced, from what little we`ve been told, that this family is *neglecting* their children.

Yes, yes. But my point is that it`s *possible* that a family would deem it more important for young children to focus on skills that are different than the ones I focus on in my family. If a 10 yr old can do an oil change on a car and build an adirondack chair by himself (not things my child is likely to be doing solo at 10), but can`t read Percy Jackson by himself, does that mean he`s neglected and my kid is the one that is better off because she reads 2000-2500 pages a week?

Some people have different goals for their kids. I`m not convinced, from what little we`ve been told, that this family is *neglecting* their children.

A 10 y.o. reading at the level of Percy Jackson is not the issue. The issue is the 10 y.o. cannot read the Singapore Math book (and apparently no one is reading it to her either). The child has expressed a desire to learn more but the door is shut because she is not being taught to read.

A 10 y.o. reading at the level of Percy Jackson is not the issue. The issue is the 10 y.o. cannot read the Singapore Math book (and apparently no one is reading it to her either). The child has expressed a desire to learn more but the door is shut because she is not being taught to read.

No, the door isn`t being shut. Tibbie said the father told her this was an issue, so she suggested Math Mammoth so helping the child would be easier, and the father is looking into it. That doesn't sound like a parent that doesn't care, or someone who is actively withholding education from a child.

Yes, it sounds as if this family has very low academic standards. Beyond low when compared to what most here consider minimum standards. But low/different standards do not equal neglect. And waiting until 12 yrs old to begin reading instruction is not the same thing as raising children to be illiterate, which is what some people here are saying is the case.

Again, I think trying to help this family is a very good idea. I also think it's sad that kids who want to jump ahead in learning aren't supported in those efforts. But -- and this is a huge BUT -- those things in and of themselves do not warrant government intervention, IMO.

:eek: I wonder if you would make this statement as blithely if a mistake was made and your child was taken away from you. And do you really think that loss of control is what would make a parent angry? I would become unglued if someone took my kids away from me. The loss of my children would make me angry.

I didn't make any statements blithely. Losing one's children is loss of control over their upbringing, and so is being ordered to start teaching them something you didn't plan to teach, or being ordered to put them in public school, or losing legal custody (the ability to make choices for one's child) altogether. "Loss of control" is a more general, all-encompassing term than "loss of physical custody".

Iucounu, I must be failing spectacularly in communicating with you because you are not hearing what I'm actually saying. I have tried, but I don't think it's possible to get you to understand what I am saying here.

You haven't failed; I'd say that you've succeeded spectacularly well in making your position clear.

The system should look at its own failures before it tries to correct those of anyone else. As long as there are kids falling through the cracks of the public school system, then I don't think they deserve control of a family's situation because of a perceived (or real) failure.

No, since the justification for intervening in cases of neglect and abuse is not the entire government's overall track record in optimally providing for all citizens, but rather protection of children in cases where it's warranted, according to specific rules for intervention. One situation has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

It's a good point that the state laws and rules may not support a report of neglect. What state is involved here? (Sorry if I missed it.) On a whim I looked up California's rules, which seem to be mostly about physical harm to me and lack of appropriate supervision. I'm not sure it'd be possible to shoehorn in educational neglect under "lack of supervision", and the father in this case seems be giving plenty of supervision.

Welcome back, Iucounu, to the thread that never ends.

I don't want to share the family's state of residence on a public board, but it is one of the many low-to-no-reporting states. I'm not sure the state would be able to prove educational neglect on the basis of the law, so it would be a matter of the bias or opinion of the court. On the flip side, if the father were doing more than he shared he might not be able to prove that he is homeschooling according to law because there isn't a legal standard he can prove he's meeting. The atypical religious bent of the family might be held against him unfairly.

(Disclaimer: I'm not an HSLDA member or fan.) Michael Farris wrote something about this subject in his book, The Future of Homeschooling, published in the early 90's. He said he did not feel that homeschoolers were 'safest' or 'most free' in totally non-reporting states.

He said homeschoolers can be under the impression that the government can have no say in how they raise their children in those states because there are no specific requirements spelled out in the law. But that's not true. Concerns might arise on the part of the state, through reports made to CPS, for example, and the homeschooling parent will have a pretty hard time proving that all is well if no standard has been defined.

Farris said he preferred Virginia's homeschooling laws because, while the rights and privacy of homeschoolers are respected, mechanisms for reasonable evaluation are put in place for everyone's protection. I think VA has a yearly testing requirement, at the least.

The state can't opine that a good homeschooling program is harmful for the children if the parents are able to show that they are meeting the legal requirements. If a biased judge goes too far the family's lawyer will have an open-and-shut appeal because the law is specific.

If there is a problem with academics, states with legal standards might be more likely or more prepared to work with the academic problem while leaving the family intact. In non-reporting states, children might be more likely to see their home life horribly disrupted, at least temporarily, while CPS figures out how to handle an unusual situation without a lot of precedence.

I still keep going back to the fact that this is a case of the 10 blind men and the elephant. The OP lives far away and isn't there during the times when these kids are doing their learning. She's seen one child struggle with one math assignment over reading (something that most certainly happens in PS all the time), and we've decided that means the parents don't ever answer questions or encourage learning in any way.

I believe kids learn best if they have to figure things out for themselves. So to the extent I consider practical, I let my kids struggle while telling them, if you want to do that badly enough, you will figure it out. They almost always do, and at that point, their learning is pretty well set in stone.

So maybe these folks are like that. Trying not to spoon-feed what they think the child should put more effort into figuring out. Or maybe they just haven't gotten around to that child's question on that particular matter.

We declare that the child has asked to learn how to read and has been denied. I saw no evidence of this. The child was trying to do math. Just because she's fascinated with math does NOT mean she is motivated to read in order to go further in math. Haven't you ever met a kid who turns away from books about his favorite subject matter? I think it's actually more common than not for a 10-year-old to be uninterested in reading such "engaging" material as math explanations. I've seen it in plenty of kids who were taught to read by the usual age.

SKL, many of your posts make it seem to me that you haven't read the whole thread.

The original concerns and the ongoing information shared by me were based on facts provided to me personally by the parents and not merely on my own casual observance from a great distance. Also my information is based on conversations and interactions with the children over a period of many years.

I really think some homeschoolers have a vested interest in reassuring themselves that all homeschoolers are probably just fine, but statistically that can't possibly be true.

No, since the justification for intervening in cases of neglect and abuse is not the entire government's overall track record in optimally providing for all citizens, but rather protection of children in cases where it's warranted, according to specific rules for intervention. One situation has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

We are not talking about abuse. We are talking about possible educational neglect based on limited knowledge of someone who lives on the other side of the country. There are children within the public school system facing the same challenges. Unless you are also reporting those parents, then you are creating a double standard. Any lawyer worth his or her salt could argue the case with ease.

Would the family seek help or more interaction in the future after that? Unlikely. Therefore, would it be the best thing for the kids? I certainly don't think so. Encouraging a tutor, programs to get them on track, to involve themselves in a group-those things seem like they would be more helpful to the kids.

This is not a broad question; it is a specific one.

We are not talking about abuse. We are talking about possible educational neglect based on limited knowledge of someone who lives on the other side of the country. There are children within the public school system facing the same challenges. Unless you are also reporting those parents, then you are creating a double standard. Any lawyer worth his or her salt could argue the case with ease.

Would the family seek help or more interaction in the future after that? Unlikely. Therefore, would it be the best thing for the kids? I certainly don't think so. Encouraging a tutor, programs to get them on track, to involve themselves in a group-those things seem like they would be more helpful to the kids.

This is not a broad question; it is a specific one.

Not teaching children to read is "possible neglect"?

No. That is prima facie neglect. This sort of deliberate neglect is abusive.

Bill

I really think some homeschoolers have a vested interest in reassuring themselves that all homeschoolers are probably just fine, but statistically that can't possibly be true.

I don't think anyone is arguing that all homeschoolers are fine. I am certain there are homeschooled kids who fall between the cracks. No system is infalliable, hence the many failures of the public school system. That is not the question being debated. The question is: are kids who fall through the cracks at home *less well off* than those who fall through the cracks of the public school system.

Were you asking:

would these kids be better off if you contacted the authorities?

Or

is this situation okay with you?

Bill

Some of them can read.

Could the state in question *prove* neglect? That is different than if we all agree that there is educational neglect.

I don't think anyone is arguing that all homeschoolers are fine. I am certain there are homeschooled kids who fall between the cracks. No system is infalliable, hence the many failures of the public school system. That is not the question being debated. The question is: are kids who fall through the cracks at home *less well off* than those who fall through the cracks of the public school system.

Were you asking:

would these kids be better off if you contacted the authorities?

Or

is this situation okay with you?

I agree that the vast majority of us see it the way you framed it: This is a horrible situation but reporting it to the state won't automatically fix it.

There have been a few posters, though, who seemed to want to ignore what the Dad himself said and assume that the children are really much farther ahead, much more capable, etc. That's what I'm talking about.

Or even the notion that failure in academics means by default that they're all learning to cook, repair small engines, and build fences. I think that's quite an assumption. Lots of people who fail to teach their kids to read also fail to teach them anything else useful.

Some of them can read.

Could the state in question *prove* neglect? That is different than if we all agree that there is educational neglect.

They begin to learn to read at 12 or 13 years of age. This demonstrates years of neglect of a very basic component of an education.

Bill

They begin to learn to read at 12 or 13 years of age. This demonstrates years of neglect of a very basic component of an education.

Bill

If this were true there are a lot of neglected, abused children in this world and have been a lot of neglected, abused children throughout the history of humankind.

I think we fail to realize not everyone lives in *our* world. Even in the United States there are impoverished areas with less opportunity, where values differ and people regard hands on working skills over education because those are the skills most needed for survival and quality of life.

I think it is very important to be able to step back and not throw out a huge blanket statement like this. I really feel too many people are willing to judge and decide whether other people's choices are right or wrong. Walk a mile in another man's shoes and all that.

Bill

This seems to be very black and white for you.

What law lists "not teaching children to read" as prima facie neglect?

I will never teach my youngest to read. She does not need me to. There are many children like her. Outside of a tradional school setting (where reading is an aspect of coping from a young age), I'd venture that most children don't need to be taught to read, assuming they are exposed to literature and print.

Have you no curiosity whatsoever about how the older kids happen to be on par in the area of reading?

My point isn't that these folks are definitely in the right. I'm saying we don't have enough information. If any judge or state agency made decisions or placed labels based on the amount of information we have here, that would be an outrage.

To the OP, yes, I've read every post in this thread. Yet I don't think you've presented enough information to prove that these kids' parents are intentionally preventing them from developing the skills necessary to cope as adults. I am not entirely sure whether that is your point or not - you seem to be giving them some benefit of the doubt off and on. But some folks here have played judge and jury on a case that is still in the beginning of the discovery phase.

ETA: By the way, I am not a "homeschooler" in the usual sense of the word. The daughter whom I'm "homeschooling" is pre-K age. I fully intend to send my kids to 1st grade at school when the time comes. Point being, I have no ulterior motive for wanting folks to seek more information before convicting someone of deliberate harm to his children.

Edited by SKL

There have been a few posters, though, who seemed to want to ignore what the Dad himself said and assume that the children are really much farther ahead, much more capable, etc. That's what I'm talking about.

I am not sure all of those posters meant, "surely this is what is going on" versus "this is how it will play in court?"

Bill

Are we using our own opinions as fact now or do you have some sort of legal precedent for that statement?

No, the door isn`t being shut. Tibbie said the father told her this was an issue, so she suggested Math Mammoth so helping the child would be easier, and the father is looking into it. That doesn't sound like a parent that doesn't care, or someone who is actively withholding education from a child.

It sounds like a parent who wants to be troubled the least amount possible to me.

Switching from one math program to another because there is less text to read via directions is a "good" solution in your mind? When the child has expressed an interest in completing and is doing well with the current choice of Singapore? The problem being that no one will take the time to sit down and either teach her to read or at the very least read the directions to her? This really sounds like a parent who cares and is making their child's needs a priority?!

And what makes you think that parents who cannot be bothered to help a child read directions in their math workbook are taking the time to help them learn anything else? That is an awfully big leap you are making.

If this were true there are a lot of neglected, abused children in this world and have been a lot of neglected, abused children throughout the history of humankind.

I think we fail to realize not everyone lives in *our* world. Even in the United States there are impoverished areas with less opportunity, where values differ and people regard hands on working skills over education because those are the skills most needed for survival and quality of life.

I think it is very important to be able to step back and not throw out a huge blanket statement like this. I really feel too many people are willing to judge and decide whether other people's choices are right or wrong. Walk a mile in another man's shoes and all that.

We are talking about American children in this case. Children growing up in the 21st Century. Children whose parents evidently have means. The argument you offer up are red-herrings. We are talking about *our* world, *our* nation. Not some distant impoverished area, not back in some agrarian past. It is here and now. And there is no excuse for this.

Bill

Spycar, I assume you must have high educational standards for your kids. Perhaps they have a rigorous education and their requests to slow down are not granted. Some people might think this is harmful to children. Perhaps they believe you are pushing your kids just for the selfish purpose of making yourself look good, or maybe getting them out of your house and on their own at a younger age. Should people with a different educational philosophy be able to decide whether or not you should be allowed to educate (or otherwise raise) your children?

There isn't enough evidence for me to accuse you of any of that. This is my point. Go investigate this family on its own territory, hang out during lesson time, sit with the kids as they work, and then decide whether their parents are intentionally preventing them from learning.

Or even the notion that failure in academics means by default that they're all learning to cook, repair small engines, and build fences. I think that's quite an assumption. Lots of people who fail to teach their kids to read also fail to teach them anything else useful.

As someone who mentioned alternate learning opportunities such as these, I would like to clarify that I wasn't making an assumption like this at all. I was suggesting that there is more to an education than academic pursuits, and wondering what these kids might be learning as they go about their day. As you actually know this family you might have some insight into this and have therefore already formed an opinion on the matter. But it seems that many people jumped to conclusions of neglect without knowing an answer to the question "what are they learning?" Personally, I think the answer to that question is important when considering something as huge as whether or not to report a family for neglect.

And of course homeschoolers have a vested interest in defending homeschooling. Those with their kids in school have a vested interest in defending that system. That is part of the division seen here.

Not all of us are defending them. Just because someone calls themselves a "homeschooler" does not mean they are, and I won't defend "homeschoolers" who are breaking the law, or who are failing to educate their children. It is time homeschoolers stop just circling the wagons around every parent who claims to be a homeschooler. We are not the same. Some of us take our job seriously.

It is quite likely the family in question IS breaking the law. Look at NY's laws, or PA or MA or VT. In those "red" states, the state has specific expectations of the children, ie, that they are on grade level in core subjects, that they pass tests, etc.

It sounds like a parent who wants to be troubled the least amount possible to me.

Switching from one math program to another because there is less text to read via directions is a "good" solution in your mind? When the child has expressed an interest in completing and is doing well with the current choice of Singapore? The problem being that no one will take the time to sit down and either teach her to read or at the very least read the directions to her? This really sounds like a parent who cares and is making their child's needs a priority?!

And what makes you think that parents who cannot be bothered to help a child read directions in their math workbook are taking the time to help them learn anything else? That is an awfully big leap you are making.

From what was written, it sounds as if the father was presenting a problem (no one wants to take the time to read the Singapore teacher materials) and the OP offered a possible solution -- a program that has instructions written to the student right there on the page, and so requires less teacher involvement. The father is now considering that option. That could be seen as a parent looking for a solution to a problem, yes. Is it ideal? Of course not. But it's certainly better than nothing, which is what has been suggested is happening.

My point isn't that these parents have great educational goals and we're just misunderstanding. My point is that these parents may be open to options that can improve their situation, and so reporting them (the original question at hand) would seem a bit extreme.

That, and I'm still curious about what things they are actually learning.

It is quite likely the family in question IS breaking the law. Look at NY's laws, or PA or MA or VT. In those "red" states, the state has specific expectations of the children, ie, that they are on grade level in core subjects, that they pass tests, etc.

From the OPer:

I don't want to share the family's state of residence on a public board, but it is one of the many low-to-no-reporting states.