Menu

Would you report a homeschooling family for educational neglect if...

the parents told you that they are only studying Bible and a little math, and that's all they'll be doing next year, too?

I've made my decision, so I'm not really looking for advice. I'm just wondering how other homeschoolers see such an extreme case of failure to teach, and whether you'd feel a responsibility to report this to any kind of authorities in some way.

My decision: I am absolutely not going to say a word to anyone. Not while I personally know many public school graduates who can barely read their own diplomas and don't seem to know anything, and nobody accuses their parents or teachers of educational neglect.

Also, I'm not going to help bring about the disruption of a very happy family in which the children are otherwise loved and cared for.

That's not to say I'm not horrified. I am very upset.

What would you do? There are more than half a dozen children aged 2 to16. They live on the other side of the country from me and we don't meet often.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a curriculum that does that very thing. http://www.sowcurriculum.com/

No, I wouldn't do anything about it because I think you can get a quality year-long curriculum out of studying the Bible and math. Language Arts, Nature, Poetry, Reading, Ancient History, etc can all be studied that way.

I'd need a lot more evidence than what you've shared before making such a drastic decision.

What if they told you they were unschoolers? Would you report them? I wouldn't.

Are they unschoolers? It kinda sounds like it. If they don't identify as such, how can they possibly see themselves as educating their children?

I don't see it as abuse or neglect of the emotional or physical variety, and I would be concerned about state involvement in parental right to educate their children if reported, like you said...disrupting an otherwise happy home. Surely they are not meeting state standards, however. So would one's conscience not cause one to act on that basis? Is there not a responsibility to adequately educate a child?

That's why I never got the whole unschooling thing. I don't understand how it's adequately educating a child.

But I pretty much pass the bean dip on this one.:leaving:

I don't think I'd ever report for educational neglect.

They probably have a lot more going on than bible and a little math. There are a lot of unschoolers who don't plan even that much, but their kids have time and energy to learn from many different areas. If the family you're talking about has kids who can read and have some time on their hands I imagine they're learning a whole lot more than you would imagine.

Now, whether their education looks like something you or I would be comfortable with is something altogether.

No, I wouldn't do anything about it because I think you can get a quality year-long curriculum out of studying the Bible and math. Language Arts, Nature, Poetry, Reading, Ancient History, etc can all be studied that way.

I'd need a lot more information than what you've shared before making such a drastic decision.

They're not going to do all that. They're all going to gather around and listen to the Dad read the Bible, and then do as many or few pages in their math books as they each want to. That's it.

Only the teens can read. Nobody is anywhere near grade level in math.

Actually, I tried to give the Dad an out about unschooling. He doesn't consider them to be unschoolers at all.

It stressed them out to even hammer out an educational philosophy, so after years of feeling guilty for not teaching the kids anything they decided to stop feeling guilty.

I really don't understand it. It isn't unschooling, and I'm not anti-unschooling.

My sister is unschooling her dc, and doing an amazing job of creating a learning environment while sitting back and let her kids discover it on their own. She wouldn't say they weren't going to learn anything but Bible and math, though. She would say they will learn the whole wide world in their own sweet time. And she does make sure her children can read.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
typed 'homeschooling,' meant 'unschooling'

Ugh that makes me :banghead:

Me, too.

As I said in the OP, I wouldn't ever get in their way or cause any problem for them. I'm so humble :mellow: that the only thing I even said to the parents was, "Wow, that wouldn't suit us at all. To each their own," and I changed the subject.

But I really, really needed to vent about it for a moment. So thanks. LOL

Guest submarines
Actually, I tried to give the Dad an out about unschooling. He doesn't consider them to be unschoolers at all.

It stressed them out to even hammer out an educational philosophy, so after years of feeling guilty for not teaching the kids anything they decided to stop feeling guilty.

I really don't understand it. It isn't unschooling, and I'm not anti-homeschooling.

My sister is unschooling her dc, and doing an amazing job of creating a learning environment while sitting back and let her kids discover it on their own. She wouldn't say they weren't going to learn anything but Bible and math, though. She would say they will learn the whole wide world in their own sweet time. And she does make sure her children can read.

This is sad.

Do they actively prevent their children from learning, though? Do they have books in their home? Are chilren allowed to use the library? The Internet? Are the children happy and well adjusted? Do they have hobbies? Do they have friends? Would they be allowed to go to school if they wanted to?

This is sad.

Do they actively prevent their children from learning, though? Do they have books in their home? Are chilren allowed to use the library? The Internet? Are the children happy and well adjusted? Do they have hobbies? Do they have friends? Would they be allowed to go to school if they wanted to?

Actively prevent children from learning? Hmm. I do get the impression that the teens are prevented from learning enough to aim for college.

Have books in the home? No.

Allowed to use the library? Yes.

Internet? No.

Children happy and well-adjusted? Yes.

Have hobbies? Yes.

Have friends? Yes, that the whole family visits. Nobody local.

Allowed to go to school if they wanted? 100% No.

Maybe.. it's nonsense like that which gives homeschooling a bad name. It's unfair to their children as well. Clearly the parents made a choice, but perhaps not an educated one. Kinda makes me wonder what they {parents} know about homeschooling.

I know that those behind, if mature enough, can pick up speed quickly, but it sounds like if these children were put in school they might be in remedial classes for quite a while. That's sad, and unfair to the children. If they can't read they can't self teach either, at least not to a HUGE extent. They can investigate and learn from play, but there comes a point where they'd surely want to investigate farther.

Yeah, I think I'd probably put someone on their case. I'd probably start with an umbrella school or something. I wouldn't be out to get them in trouble, but I'd be concerned what trouble that would cause for others. Everytime someone "slips through the cracks" harsher requirements are made for those who "follow the rules" and I find that highly annoying and extremely frustrating!

There would have to be real emotional or physical abuse there for me to report it. We know unschoolers, but most of them are working much harder than I am to make sure their kids get good exposure to many things so their methods don't trouble me generally.

That is a tough situation. :grouphug:

I would never report someone for educational neglect. Perhaps someone looks at my family and thinks I am not doing enough. Maybe someone sees me out with my kids at the grocery store during school hours and thinks I'm not doing enough.

Yep. This situation sends a shiver down my spine. Yep. You have every right to feel the way you feel. Nope. This is probably not what you nor I would want for our children. However, these are their children. If the children are happy, safe, secure, and loved, they have so much more than many other kids out there.

I love homeschooling because I have control over what my kids learn. I, as the parent, get to guide them. I get to make the final decisions. Many do not agree with my choices. I certainly do not agree with the choices of many other parents. But we all have choices, and those choices need to be respected. (Even though they may seem incredibly ridiculous, irresponsible, and just plain dumb.)

:grouphug: I totally understand. I know someone who is very similar to your friend.

Guest submarines
Actively prevent children from learning? Hmm. I do get the impression that the teens are prevented from learning enough to aim for college.

Have books in the home? No.

Allowed to use the library? Yes.

Internet? No.

Children happy and well-adjusted? Yes.

Have hobbies? Yes.

Have friends? Yes, that the whole family visits. Nobody local.

Allowed to go to school if they wanted? 100% No.

Well, not too bad overall. Not ideal by my standards, but if the children are happy and well adjusted, have hobbies and can use the library, it is already better than many public school children.

I believe a happy child, well adjusted child will grow up to be a much more productive member of society than an always miserable, often bullied child who goes to public school.

I've seen homes with not a single book--those of children who go to public schools. Our 10 yo neighbour is not allowed to borrow books from the public library, as her parents tell her she might lose them. She goes to school and can borrow books from the school library during the school year.

Are they expected to marry young? Are they being taught / modelled home keeping skills?

Is there any way you can tutor the oldest ones or do a book club (tapered to their interest/ability) and do a themed party or movie at the end of the book? Invite them over to listen to read-alouds?

ETA: I am a bookworm. However, my dh, used to brag that he never stepped foot in a library 'til a junior in college. He is brilliant -- more logic/rational than humanities. His folks are college educated brainiacs who also don't like to read. They all are very outdoorsy athletic sports people. The idea of staying home cooped up inside drives them nuts. Perhaps this family is the same?

Edited by tex-mex

Maybe.. it's nonsense like that which gives homeschooling a bad name. It's unfair to their children as well. Clearly the parents made a choice, but perhaps not an educated one. Kinda makes me wonder what they {parents} know about homeschooling.

I know that those behind, if mature enough, can pick up speed quickly, but it sounds like if these children were put in school they might be in remedial classes for quite a while. That's sad, and unfair to the children. If they can't read they can't self teach either, at least not to a HUGE extent. They can investigate and learn from play, but there comes a point where they'd surely want to investigate farther.

Yeah, I think I'd probably put someone on their case. I'd probably start with an umbrella school or something. I wouldn't be out to get them in trouble, but I'd be concerned what trouble that would cause for others. Everytime someone "slips through the cracks" harsher requirements are made for those who "follow the rules" and I find that highly annoying and extremely frustrating!

But if Joe Citizen reports a family for anything, Joe Citizen doesn't get to offer the possible solutions. A judge would do that.

And the judge would almost certainly insist on public school, or even removing children if he had a really strong anti-homeschool bias. You'd have zero control over what happened to that family. You'd have zero way to protect them or speak up for them.

So you see why we're all nearly unanimous in biting our lip when we learn of such a situation.

I wouldn't worry at all about the kids who are under 8; I would worry about the older ones... especially junior high and highschool... and yet I don't think it's typical "abuse". The kids will already resent their parents and educational neglect when they get ready to go out and make money, go to college...etc. Very sad :(

But if Joe Citizen reports a family for anything, Joe Citizen doesn't get to offer the possible solutions. A judge would do that.

And the judge would almost certainly insist on public school, or even removing children if he had a really strong anti-homeschool bias. You'd have zero control over what happened to that family. You'd have zero way to protect them or speak up for them.

So you see why we're all nearly unanimous in biting our lip when we learn of such a situation.

:iagree: Exactly why I just couldn't report someone. I know the situation really stinks. I'm glad you can come here and vent about it. Can you think of any way to help these kids without offending the parents? Maybe invite them over for a fun science day? A fun history party? A write-a-story day?

Only the teens can read. Nobody is anywhere near grade level in math.

Meaning, no one in the family under the age of 13 can read?!

Do they have any learning disabilities?

Edited by bethanyniez
Whoops! Quoted the wrong person.

Guest submarines
Meaning, no one in the family under the age of 13 can read?!

Do they have any learning disabilities?

I'd be curious why reading wasn't emphasised. I might be showing my ignorance, but wouldn't a religious person be expected to *read* the Bible?

I'd need a lot more evidence than what you've shared before making such a drastic decision.

Right. You don't know what that really means. You do not have enough evidence. I'd need a lot more before determining that they were not studying appropriately.

I probably wouldn't report, but I'd be intrigued to know why only the teens can read. I personally consider it neglect to not at least facilitate the learning of reading by age 7 or 8. If the individual child has a learning barrier, that's a different matter. But what does their philosophy say about why it's good for the kids to not be reading? I recall reading that some great thinker (a couple of centuries ago) believed that it was best to postpone reading until after the child has been engaged in deep-thinking conversations, so that he will intelligently process what he reads when the time comes. That guy thought reading should begin at age 9. If this family has a similar philosophy, are they at least working on the thinking skills that will make the kids good readers eventually?

I believe the Bible can be an awesome teaching tool, but it would take some creativity to make sure a young child's brain was being sufficiently nourished with a Bible-only curriculum.

Then again, I agree with the point that in some places, a public school education does not guarantee much, so it seems rather hypocritical to report someone to the government for doing what the government routinely does (fail to educate kids).

Edited by SKL

I left out the part that probably explains all of this. They are a Vision Forum-type family, patriarchal Dad, submissive Mom, girls expected to live at home until they get married.

I know them pretty well, and I know the children pretty well. The younger ones will probably learn to read by age 13 or 14. The parents like that the older ones began learning to read at 12, so I guess that's preferred for them.

I've discussed the math situation with the parents, and I've spent enough time with the kids to know what's going on. I can't offer to have a book club or anything like that. The parents are very opposed to anyone else teaching their kids anything. That's been spelled out clearly. They love spending time with us and having the kids all play, so loving them is all I can do.

They are a nice family, very close-knit and happy. They are just the first people I've ever known in my whole entire life who do not value education at all.

I think the Dad must be planning to provide for them all forever or something. He has an excellent income, so he might be thinking he has years and years to worry about his late bloomers.

Thanks for listening. I don't hate these people even though I am obviously judging them. It helps tremendously to hear that you all wouldn't do anything about this either, except for one little vent and banging your head against the wall in private.

Well, not too bad overall. Not ideal by my standards, but if the children are happy and well adjusted, have hobbies and can use the library, it is already better than many public school children.

I believe a happy child, well adjusted child will grow up to be a much more productive member of society than an always miserable, often bullied child who goes to public school.

:iagree:

In Illinois, you are required to teach the same subjects taught in a ps. If someone tells me they are studying only Bible and math, I would probably think they were incompetent homeschoolers as evidenced by their total disregard for (or lack of knowledge of) the law. I mean, even unschoolers have a canned response about how their kids cover "everything."

HOWEVER, I still wouldn't report anyone who had happy kids with access to a library for any kind of neglect. "Happy kids + library access" has a lot more potential than some ps scenarios I've seen.

Edited by Element

Guest submarines
These children are being abused and neglected. You have a moral duty to report this crime against children.

Bill

You're being sarcastic, right?

I did have to face this very question with someone who was most definitely NOT doing any schooling. This person was honest with me about it. I really agonized over the decision. Ultimately I did not report because the kids were loved, fed, clothed, sheltered, NOT beaten or abused in any way, and very definitely loved. Educational neglect is just not on the same scale as beating, starvation, or molestation so no, it's not something I would ever report, sad though I might be about the situation.

BTW--I ended up being so very, very glad that I did not report. The mother in this case died under painful circumstances (health issues). I am glad the kids had so much of her while she was well. The kids were placed in public school and were able to catch up with no problems.

They are a nice family, very close-knit and happy. They are just the first people I've ever known in my whole entire life who do not value education at all.

My mom quit school on her 16th birthday despite being a very promising student. Why? Because the religion she was brought up in considered anything beyond a basic education to be a "materialistic" pursuit. It was better for her to quit school and help her mother. (Her own views on this changed drastically, and she resumed her education years later.)

Guest submarines
I left out the part that probably explains all of this. They are a Vision Forum-type family, patriarchal Dad, submissive Mom, girls expected to live at home until they get married.

I know them pretty well, and I know the children pretty well. The younger ones will probably learn to read by age 13 or 14. The parents like that the older ones began learning to read at 12, so I guess that's preferred for them.

I've discussed the math situation with the parents, and I've spent enough time with the kids to know what's going on. I can't offer to have a book club or anything like that. The parents are very opposed to anyone else teaching their kids anything. That's been spelled out clearly. They love spending time with us and having the kids all play, so loving them is all I can do.

I think the Dad must be planning to provide for them all forever or something. He has an excellent income, so he might be thinking he has years and years to worry about his late bloomers.

Thanks for listening. I don't hate these people even though I am obviously judging them. It helps tremendously to hear that you all wouldn't do anything about this either, except for one little vent and banging your head against the wall in private.

:grouphug:

As for the bolded, a large percentage of public school parents don't value education. They value *schools.* They don't question what education is, what it means, and what their options are. At least this family is strongly rooted in their values. I might not agree with their values or methods, but that's not the point.

These children are being abused and neglected. You have a moral duty to report this crime against children.

Bill

I'm so glad you're back!!!

I wish you had been here for the discussion on Appalachian poverty. Did you know that only 60% of children in the whole region even go to 9th grade? If I reported this family, I'd have to report most of my own relatives who live in the Appalachians. They are illiterate, lacking options, and have even less exposure to the outside world than the homeschooling family I'm discussing.

stats

Also, my local public school district only graduates 19% of boys. Who do I call to report them?

I don't think it is as cut-and-dried as you make it. As has been pointed out, at least these children are properly fed and loved. I think they are going to be pretty mad at their parents when they grow up and find themselves tied down due to ignorance, but they might start educating themselves in earnest in that case.

The big crime here is that the parents in this family should be able to manage a decent education for their children. They are educated, themselves, unlike the ghetto parents or the mountain parents.

Edited by Tibbie Dunbar
fuzzy stats on Appalachian poverty, link added

It helps tremendously to hear that you all wouldn't do anything about this either, except for one little vent and banging your head against the wall in private.

Personally I'm shocked that people are so indifferet to this sort of neglect that they would do nothing about it. Unbelievable!

Bill

hmm, my almost automatic response is that I would not consider reporting parents solely for the educational choices that they make for their family. If there were other abuse or neglect, I would certainly consider doing so.

However, if this were a family that I knew personally and talked to frequently, I would impress upon them that their choices may could be considered educational neglect by the courts. I would express my sadness and frustration at their lax attitude regarding their children's education and would strongly encourage them to begin immediate actions that will allow their children to attain gainful employment as adults. I would be dead honest, but I wouldn't be ugly or angry. After all they seemed to think that it was appropriate to share this information and by doing so they opened themselves up for an honest response.

Mandy

Personally I'm shocked that people are so indifferet to this sort of neglect that they would do nothing about it. Unbelievable!

Bill

There's a real difference between "indifferent" and "think it will be better for the children if reported."

I would not expect the parents to cooperate with an order to put the children in school, in which case they might well be removed. The outcomes for foster children are poor enough that I would be very reluctant, unless there were some sort of worse abuse going on (for example, a relative recently had to report a child who was being sexually abused and unfed.)

That being said, I'd probably have (reluctantly) reported it, and hoped they'd be willing to teach reading (how well do their teens read, btw?). But I could see how reasonable people could choose otherwise. It's not at all black and white.

If the worst thing that can happen as a result of your action is for the family to be forced to be educationally accountable to some kind of an umbrella program (less likely) or to send their children to a public school (more likely), provided that public school is a comparatively safe and okay school by today's standards and that the family would "survive" the choice (emotionally, that they would get used to it and still be a nice and loving family), I would seriously consider it. But ONLY if I had some sort of tangible proofs that the children really are not learning a thing, are entire grade levels behind when compared to the minimal public school criteria for passing, there are no other matters involved (neurological issues or what have you), the neglect is a systematic pattern with all children, the family discourages education in general and possibly limits the children's choices, etc. In that case, I judge that a child's right to education comes before parental rights. Parents, after all, may abuse their rights as well.

If the worst thing that can happen is worse than that - if kids could be taken from a loving home, if the family dynamic would be seriously harmed and it would be an immense shock for everybody that would leave a dozen people traumatized more than truly help, if the public school is a ghetto school with questionable safety, let alone education, etc. - then I might consider that, as tragic as the situation is, perhaps the lesser evil in this situation is the one of not reporting, even if it violates my normal inner duty, if I feel strongly that in this case, a particular exception is to be made.

I would tend to err on the safe side, however. If in doubt, rather not report than report, because there may be other things in the background that I may not be aware of, my impressions might be fragile, etc. I would give the maximum benefit of the doubt, take into account the lowest common age appropriate standards (and not the one that I adhere by), and even then I would be forced to face a question of whether involving authorities would do something good for the kids in the long road or only bring about chaos and destruction greater than possible benefit (after all, there are kids not reading in schools either...), before reporting. It is not ideal, but those are questions that have to be asked before you involve authorities, since reporting is a drastic step.

But really, the situation is... :001_huh: I cannot understand that mentality. It strongly rubs me the wrong way. I know I cannot dictate my choices to the rest of the world, but at some point, the children's rights to an education have to precede the parents' rights to choose the type of education, if they choose a non-education. What a horrible choice to make.

Can you not influence them in any way?

Edited by Ester Maria

I'm so glad you're back!!!

I wish you had been here for the discussion on Appalachian poverty. Did you know that only 60% of children in the whole region even go to 9th grade? If I reported this family, I'd have to report most of my own relatives who live in the Appalachians. They are illiterate, lacking options, and have even less exposure to the outside world than the homeschooling family I'm discussing.

The failure of the educational system in impoverished areas is tragic, but it is no excuse for people (expecially those with means) to purposefully not educate their children. Two wrongs do not make a right, and what these people are doing is unconscionable.

I don't think it is as cut-and-dried as you make it. As has been pointed out, at least these children are properly fed and loved. I think they are going to be pretty mad at their parents when they grow up and find themselves tied down due to ignorance, but they might start educating themselves in earnest in that case.

The children can't read. You bet the children should be angry. Angry at their parents who willfully keep them ignorant, and angry at those who watched and remained silent while this takes place.

As Edmund Burke once said, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

The big crime here is that the parents in this family should be able to manage a decent education for their children. They are educated, themselves, unlike the ghetto parents or the mountain parents.

It is intentional and premeditated neglect. How does one sit and do nothing?

Bill

Thank you, dear Ester, that is exactly how I see it.

I did influence them awhile back, and that is why they began studying math. I had my children (who are the same ages as theirs) do a little light-hearted demonstration of math in their company. They went out and bought Singapore workbooks after that. They don't study diligently or progress a grade level every year (or two) but it is more than they used to do for math.

This visit, I spoke of grammar and writing and asked my son to show what he'd been learning. And I discussed Confucian philosophy and the study of Latin with a sympathetic mutual friend, within earshot of these parents. We'll see. (Not that I wanted to inspire them to shoot for philosophy and languages. I just wanted to remind them of the world outside their snow-globe and how much there is to know.)

They tend to drop critical people from their lives. I tread carefully.

The failure of the educational system in impoverished areas is tragic, but it is no excuse for people (expecially those with means) to purposefully not educate their children. Two wrongs do not make a right, and what these people are doing is unconscionable.

The children can't read. You bet the children should be angry. Angry at their parents who willfully keep them ignorant, and angry at those who watched and remained silent while this takes place.

As Edmund Burke once said, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

It is intentional and premeditated neglect. How does one sit and do nothing?

Bill

These children would likely be removed from the home and put in foster care. This large of a group would almost certainly not be placed together. So, they would not only loose their parents, but their siblings as well.

Even if the foster placement were a good one, there wouldn't be the love of a family or even a permanent home. The older kids may stay in that situation until they aged out. The younger ones may eventually go back home at some point 6 months or more down the road after the parents go to parenting classes and agree to make modifications in their home and agree to continue sending the children to school. The children's relationships with each other and with their parents would likely be irreversibly broken.

This is the hesitation with reporting.

Mandy

Bill

:iagree:

Children are not the property of the parents, and should not be deprived of a basic education because of the family's misguided ideology. It's not that these children are getting a poor education. They aren't being educated at all, from the sound of it. I would absolutely report them. In a heartbeat.

No, I wouldn't report. Their children, their responsibility.

But I think I'd do this :001_huh: and this :blink: and bite holes through my tongue. Pass me a vat of bean dip, please.

My opinion is colored by the experience of a family we know who was reported for educational neglect. They lost legal custody of their children to the state, though they retained physical custody. The family life was subjected to intense scrutiny, and the parents had to jump through many hoops, some wholly unrelated to education, to regain custody of the children. It was an incredibly stressful experience for the entire family. I can't imagine putting another family through that.

Cat

These children would likely be removed from the home and put in foster care. This large of a group would almost certainly not be placed together. So, they would not only loose their parents, but their siblings as well.

Even if the foster placement were a good one, there wouldn't be the love of a family or even a permanent home. The older kids may stay in that situation until they aged out. The younger ones may eventually go back home at some point 6 months or more down the road after the parents go to parenting classes and agree to make modifications in their home and agree to continue sending the children to school. The children's relationships with each other and with their parents would likely be irreversibly broken.

This is the hesitation with reporting.

Mandy

They wouldn't be placed in foster care. There are children all over the country who have to live with parents that beat them because there aren't enough foster homes. More likely, the authorities would work with the parents to do a better job of educating the children, or would eventually require the parents to place them in public school.

Also, I was in a foster home for well over six months as a teen. My relationship with my mom is certainly not irreversibly broken. We talk on the phone daily.