Menu

kitchen aid grain mill

Will this work for basic bread flours? I've been looking around and while the wonder mill looks really cool, I think the kitchen aid grinder will suffice for what I'm wanting. I want to grind wheat berries for bread. Maybe rye occasionally.

TIA!

Will this work for basic bread flours? I've been looking around and while the wonder mill looks really cool, I think the kitchen aid grinder will suffice for what I'm wanting. I want to grind wheat berries for bread. Maybe rye occasionally.

TIA!

I used mine, and then made bread. I did wipe it down with a wet cloth periodically, to keep the temp down a bit, but I did it for years. I love my KA grinder because I like adding some coarse meal to the bread, and the Whisper Mill type make powder of the berries. If you want the finest wheat for WW pastry, it is not fine enough, or so I've been told.

I'd go for the Nutrimill if you can. I had the KA grain mill and could never get fine enough flour to make a light whole wheat bread that was good for sandwiches and anything else. And combined with the letting the KA cool down, I decided to sell it and get the Nutrimill. It was well worth it - the Nutrimill grinds flour so much finer and is just easier and more functional.

ETA: I bought my KA grain mill around 1992, so I don't know if the newer than that/older than that ones are better.

Edited by KH_