Menu

Question about national merit

I have read this "somewhere," but I don't know where, and I am looking for official verbiage from the college board.

If a sophomore takes the SAT and then takes the PSAT as a junior and qualifies for national merit semi-finalist, can he/she use the sophomore SAT score to qualify for national merit finalist? If yes, can you PLEASE help me find on the college board the wording that allows this?

TIA!

I don't know how to link posts but here is info. that gardenmom provided when I asked the question last summer. My daughter is a junior who took the SAT this past October two weeks before the PSAT, so you will have to adjust the dates accordingly.

If your daughter scores well enough on the PSAT to be a NM Semifinalist, she will be in the 2013 NM competition. Here is a pdf for this past year's (2011) competition. The 2012 pdf is not available yet.

http://www.nationalmerit.org/Merit_R&I_Leaflet.pdf

This pdf states, that to qualify for the 2011 awarded scholarships, a semifinalist would have to (#7 on the list):

"Take the current SAT® and earn scores that confirm your 2009 PSAT/NMSQT performance. You must take (or have taken) a national administration of the SAT between October 2008 and December 2010.

Also, it is your responsibility to file a request with the College Board SAT Program to have an official report of your SAT scores sent to NMSC (code 0085). See page 2 of this leaflet for detailed information about authorized SAT administrations and score reporting."

It looks like your dd's October scheduling of the SAT will work fine as far as timing, because the dates for her will be October 2010 through December 2012. If she feels confident that she will score about 2000+ on the SAT, she can put the NM Corp code on her test so she won't need to do that later.

I don't know how to link posts but here is info. that gardenmom provided when I asked the question last summer. My daughter is a junior who took the SAT this past October two weeks before the PSAT, so you will have to adjust the dates accordingly.

If your daughter scores well enough on the PSAT to be a NM Semifinalist, she will be in the 2013 NM competition. Here is a pdf for this past year's (2011) competition. The 2012 pdf is not available yet.

http://www.nationalmerit.org/Merit_R&I_Leaflet.pdf

This pdf states, that to qualify for the 2011 awarded scholarships, a semifinalist would have to (#7 on the list):

"Take the current SAT® and earn scores that confirm your 2009 PSAT/NMSQT performance. You must take (or have taken) a national administration of the SAT between October 2008 and December 2010.

Also, it is your responsibility to file a request with the College Board SAT Program to have an official report of your SAT scores sent to NMSC (code 0085). See page 2 of this leaflet for detailed information about authorized SAT administrations and score reporting."

It looks like your dd's October scheduling of the SAT will work fine as far as timing, because the dates for her will be October 2010 through December 2012. If she feels confident that she will score about 2000+ on the SAT, she can put the NM Corp code on her test so she won't need to do that later.

So, is the NM Corp code that 0085 #???