Menu

Just found out I'm pregnant! :) Considering home birth...

Congratulations!

I think the answers will vary greatly with where you live and what year it is. Around here, the availability of the option of home birth ebbs and flows constantly even though there is an excellent midwifery program school right here.

The issue seems to be that homebirth is the homeschooling of childbirth. There are those in the medical profession and the business of hospitals who see homebirth as an attack on them and who actively fight it. There also is a very real issue related to the practicality of a practice trying to survive under the weight of malpractice insurance, etc. People can and do sue when their baby is not born perfect.

We have desired to have a homebirth with all of our children, but we have only succeeded to do it with DD9. And she was a twin with her brother born the same day in a hospital in another state. :glare: All of our children have been delivered by outstanding midwives, however. Five were born in hospitals, one in a birth center and one at home.

All this to say that I encourage you to ask around and find out if there is a midwife currently practicing homebirth in your area who will take you. To us, that was always the most challenging part of the process.

Good luck with your pregnancy and birth!

In Texas you will find lots of CPM (direct entry midwives) that can assist with your birth. You'll need to find one in your area that you like. Prices and services vary. I use one based out of a birth center but she also does homebirth. The only difference between birth center and homebirth is the location, as she brings what she needs to the birth at my house vs having it at the birthcenter where she already has everything.

I don't know your location in TX but if you live near Austin/Killeen/Waco pm me and I can recommend a few great ones.

I would seek out somebody with lots of experience but that is after having a homebirth with a brand new midwife. Thankfully she had her preceptor there or I probably would have been a transfer.

I've had 7 wonderful, successful home births. What exactly are you wanting to know? Some of mine have been with midwives, others not. Some in the water, most not. One had a long labor, long pushing time, shoulders stuck. One had cord wrapped around the neck. One has a neural tube defect unknown until delivery. Two we planned for a midwife but she didn't make it, leaving us birthing on our own. Fast labors. Different labors.

:)

The issue seems to be that homebirth is the homeschooling of childbirth. There are those in the medical profession and the business of hospitals who see homebirth as an attack on them and who actively fight it. There also is a very real issue related to the practicality of a practice trying to survive under the weight of malpractice insurance, etc. People can and do sue when their baby is not born perfect.

I'd say that's an apt comparison. Birth happens without any need of intervention about 90% of the time. About 10% of the time there is some need of intervention--either something a midwife can do, or a hospital transfer. Some of those transfers are non-emergent (I had one of those), and some are emergent. And some rare cases (cord prolapse, baby not breathing and needing care from a team of people that do this everyday and not just one midwife) a baby dies who would may been fine in the hospital.

Similarly, there are probably some parent-child teams who would be better off in school than at home, for a variety of reasons. But unlike birth, homeschooling is never a life-or-death emergency. Any educational train wrecks are slow-moving and there are plenty of chances to get back on track.

Most midwives do NOT carry malpractice insurance. If a midwife incorrectly responds to a crisis, lawyers will not take the case because it is not financially worth it. If you want more information I can forward you the story.

If your birth is one of the 90% that go fine, anyone or no one can deliver a baby. You need a midwife that is able to spot problems and quickly transfer you if it leaves her scope of practice. The problem is that many midwifes "trust birth" instead of recognizing that sometimes rarely there are real problems. And many midwives haven't seen enough births to see bad things happen. A midwife only needs 25 to 40 births to license, and many complications happen only 1 in 100-200 births. And it's hard to know just by asking someone questions ahead of time how they will act in a crisis. Some people present themselves as knowing a lot more than they actually do.

A good choice of a midwife is more important than a good choice of doctor. In the hospital there are nurses around, and other doctors/anesthesiologists. There is a standard of care and witnesses. In a home birth, it's just you/your family and the midwife(s), and you are kind of out of it. If something goes wrong (or even if you just have a kind of rude midwife, like I did), there aren't other medically-trained people around to witness. It's your word against theirs.

A blogger, Navel Gazing Midwife, just had a series of interview questions for a homebirth midwife. That would be a good place to start.

Congratulations! #3 was a homebirth and all went beautifully. The best experience ever! #4 was a transport because of a low heartrate that we couldn't get up. He ended up being 9lb8oz and having to be vaccuumed out. Definitely ask your midwife lots of questions from the list above and make sure your heart is comfortable with all the answers. I'm sure you'll make the right decision!

I'd say that's an apt comparison. Birth happens without any need of intervention about 90% of the time. About 10% of the time there is some need of intervention--either something a midwife can do, or a hospital transfer. Some of those transfers are non-emergent (I had one of those), and some are emergent. And some rare cases (cord prolapse, baby not breathing and needing care from a team of people that do this everyday and not just one midwife) a baby dies who would may been fine in the hospital.

Similarly, there are probably some parent-child teams who would be better off in school than at home, for a variety of reasons. But unlike birth, homeschooling is never a life-or-death emergency. Any educational train wrecks are slow-moving and there are plenty of chances to get back on track.

Most midwives do NOT carry malpractice insurance. If a midwife incorrectly responds to a crisis, lawyers will not take the case because it is not financially worth it. If you want more information I can forward you the story.

If your birth is one of the 90% that go fine, anyone or no one can deliver a baby. You need a midwife that is able to spot problems and quickly transfer you if it leaves her scope of practice. The problem is that many midwifes "trust birth" instead of recognizing that sometimes rarely there are real problems. And many midwives haven't seen enough births to see bad things happen. A midwife only needs 25 to 40 births to license, and many complications happen only 1 in 100-200 births. And it's hard to know just by asking someone questions ahead of time how they will act in a crisis. Some people present themselves as knowing a lot more than they actually do.

A good choice of a midwife is more important than a good choice of doctor. In the hospital there are nurses around, and other doctors/anesthesiologists. There is a standard of care and witnesses. In a home birth, it's just you/your family and the midwife(s), and you are kind of out of it. If something goes wrong (or even if you just have a kind of rude midwife, like I did), there aren't other medically-trained people around to witness. It's your word against theirs.

A blogger, Navel Gazing Midwife, just had a series of interview questions for a homebirth midwife. That would be a good place to start.

:iagree: The "trust birth" movement has hit my community. It's why I'm having a hospital birth after four home births. In a home birth situation it is critical that your midwife be able to spot potential problems early and that anything iffy for home be transferred. Naval Gazing Midwife's questions are excellent.

I would choose another home birth if I didn't have the option of a new, very hands off hospital with an excellent CNM.

Congratulations!

Homebirth is a wonderful thing! :)

I recommend getting some good reading- Ina May Guide to Childbirth, The Dr. Sears Birth book, there are sooo many great ones out there. Check out Mothering.com forums in the homebirth section for stories and tips. Then start interviewing midwives! We didn't have to interview ours, because we are friends. But I've had clients interview every one in town just to be sure.

I just had my 1st hospital birth. I think it might have been my favorite for several reasons, BUT I had *wonderful* birth center experiences & 1 home birth that was great. I would never have chosen a hospital if I'd had a choice, but this one was so good, I'd almost have another baby to do it again. LOL!

Anyway, if you're in the Dallas area, I'd LOVE to give you my mw's name. She delivered my 1st 4 babies, 1 at home, the others at her bc. My sis is in a medical profession in San Antonio, & is very anti-homebirth. Given that & her distance, she's still heard of my mw & has only heard good things. It's the only reason she never tried to talk me out of homebirth.

GL & congratulations!

Hypnobabies, Hypnobabies and more Hypnobabies. Anything that can take the pain away is wonderful. Also laboring in a tub is wonderful. With Digby I labored in the tub and got out to push. With Chuck I labored and delivered in the tub. If I were to have another one, I'd probably go with the labor and get out to push.

Congratulations.

My last three we homebirths (my first was born in a hospital). My homebirths were wonderful and a huge reason for that was because of my excellent, experienced midwife. I didn't feel relaxed in the hospital and I am convinced that is why my labor took so long (30+ hours). My homebirths were just so.... beautiful. Oh, and my last baby was 9lbs. 7oz. and it was my easiest and quickest labor and birth!

Thanks! I'm interested in hearing all experiences. There are three great midwives here and I know many, many ladies who have used all of them. One, in particular (maybe the others, too), has delivered two babies with complications (short cords with one short cord wrapped around the babies neck, scary!) and everything went great and smooth. My friend who had that complication said she trusted her completely and knows her experience might have been different in the hospital because of knowing another friend who had that same complication in the hospital and the outcome wasn't the same. All three of those midwives have 20+ years experience. I don't know what we'll end up doing, we're still deciding and this a big step for us. I'm not concerned with incompetence because of knowing so many who have used them, but it's a big deal the same. It's exciting!

ETA: My friend who had the complication has 9 children and her 8th and 9th had short cords, the 8th being the one wrapped around the neck. She said that this midwife does not mess around with emergencies and is very professional, yet calm. She would have transported if she felt an emergency was occurring. She sounds wonderful and trustworthy.

Edited by Dianne-TX

Congratulations!I have had six kids; two hospital births, one home birth, one transfer and two birth center births. Five of the six were perfectly healthy from birth and one had some mild complications for a short period of time. This wass on of my birth center births and I don't believe the location made any difference in outcome. My dd had one hospital birth with midwife who managed to safely, naturally deliver a baby that really should have been born C-section (we did not know of the issue before birth). I am still pro-homebirth provided you have an experienced midwife and a low risk pregnancy. I would recommend that you research extensively and make an educated decision. I will try to post more later. Once again, congratulations!

I LOVED my homebirth, best thing I ever did! It was so peaceful, empowering and wonderful. I had 2 amazing midwives who have an awesome reputation in the community and at the hospital, they had about 40 yrs experience in nursing/midwifery between them. I also had a student midwife I welcomed to attend (if your midwife has a student- get her to come along!). The student midwife was like a doula, except I didn't have to pay her. Plus I felt great about helping her in getting one step closer to her certification- she was my 2ndary midwife for my third child. I would homebirth again in a hearbeat!!!