Menu

Costochondritis anyone?

My husband has been diagnosed with this. I remember when he first had it, it was a stabbing pain in his chest. It was so bad that I worried it was a heart attack and sent him to the er. It was also a very stressful time for him and the doctor thought stress brought it on. It also was on and off for awhile. He hasn't really experienced it in awhile but now I'm concerned that when he gets pain again like this he will just assume its the costochondritis.

Jean, I was just diagnosed this week.

Symptoms: A sharp, bruise-type pain about the size of a quarter close to the center of my chest, but just to the left. The pain comes and goes, does not increase or decrease with activity, and responds to ibuprofen and rest.

My pain showed up 2 weeks after a recent surgery (hysterectomy), and because it was in the heart area I assumed a surgery complication or heart attack. My regular doctor sent me for a heart stress test (treadmill, myoviews) which showed a strong, healthy heart. She declared the pain "muscle or bone related" and suggested ibuprofen and yoga.

At my post-op follow-up visit this week, I mentioned the chest pain to the surgeon. He started pressing around, was able to pinpoint the sore area and told me exactly why he thought it was costochondritis after he found out I didn't have any other symptoms other than the pain. Location and size of the pain, along with lack of other symptoms like vomiting or fever, is key to diagnosis from what I have learned. He guessed before I even told him that my regular doctor ordered the stress test without ever palpitating (is that the right word?) my chest. He was spot on. He also said ibuprofen, rest, and stretching exercises like yoga was the key to getting the swelling down.

webmd.com and the mayoclinic site have excellent articles explaining costochondritis. I am a textbook case. It's really not a bad pain, but hopefully it goes away soon.

OK - this sort of confirms my feeling that the doctor misdiagnosed this one. I've had chest pain of some kind of another for over a week. It started with sharp pain but there was also tightness and pressure that would last for long periods of time. My blood pressure has been elevated and I've been really tired. I've also been burping and had shortness of breath esp. after climbing the stairs or doing even minor exercise. I had these symptoms last year and the very same doctor diagnosed me with pericarditis (which is what I think it really is again). I did have a CT scan and an echocardiogram which showed a healthy heart. Anyway - the treatment is the same - high doses of anti-inflammatories. And with that treatment it is getting slowly better. But the doctor had said that I could go back to exercise and my experience with exercise in the last 3 days has not been good.