Menu

Anyone do translations (for $)?

enviromommy

Does anyone have any idea what the going rate for that sort of thing might be?

This would seem to be highly dependent on the locality and the number of translators available...though there is the "world" market these days...

Are you planning to do it for people "local" to you or via the Internet where you are competing in the world market?

Joan

This would seem to be highly dependent on the locality and the number of translators available...though there is the "world" market these days...

Are you planning to do it for people "local" to you or via the Internet where you are competing in the world market?

Joan

I just tested and got certified to be a freelance translator for an international translation company that contracts with corporate clients. So my rate will be reduced since the company in the middle is paying me out of what they get paid. It can't be helped, because I have no idea how to get jobs directly. Also, I think most companies and law firms only hire out to "big" translation companies. The trouble is, I have *NO* idea how to start negotiating with the translation company, because I have *NO IDEA* how much their clients pay them. I'm afraid I'll end up asking for less than I could have made.

I really need this (meaning freelance work of any kind) to work out, or I'm going to get pressure to go back to work as a lawyer and put the kids in school.