Menu

Traditional Logic vs. The Discovery of Deduction

DS is in 9th grade and working thru Critical Thinking Books 1 & 2. We're also working in "The Art of Argument" from Classical Academic Press to learn about informal fallacies.

Next year, for 10th grade, he will tackle formal logic. Since SWB recommends "The Art of Argument," I was wondering if the next book in CAP's logic series, The Discovery of Deduction: An Introduction to Formal Logic, would be on par with Memoria Press's "Traditional Logic 1." Can anyone compare the two for me?

I can't compare, but we just finished Discovery of Deduction. I like CAP products, so I'm a little biased. I like the progression of the book, how it covers the topics, and the layout. You can see a decent sample here.

I've briefly looked at TL, but I think DoD has more explanation in each lesson.

The other thing CAP does, which I like, is have the teacher book be replica of the student book with answers. This is helpful to me. IMO Formal logic is a subject that requires more active teaching to make sure concepts are understood correctly. Plus it leads to some interesting conversation.