Menu

Do most 3rd graders...

golfcartmama

The steps of division (which are used in "long division") are taught fairly early in Abeka Arithmetic 3. They start with 12/3 & the like - the *concept.*

Then, they add the *how* with facts the kids already know, like 24/4 and 81/9. Pretty quickly, they move into 36/3 and 84/4. I know my dd#2 is going through her book a bit slower (to cement the concepts as she's not mathy), but she's past this part because it took weeks before she understood the leap between the idea of division (which she understood) & how to actually write the steps the book teaches. Figuring out what to put where was the biggest struggle!

It takes awhile before they introduce LOOONG division (87,583/213). Maybe in the 4th grade book?

Typical would be division in 3rd, long division in 4th, BUT... it really depends on the curriculum used. Singapore introduces it in 3A, for example. Math Mammoth introduces it in 4B (MM tends to be similar in scope and sequence to a lot of state requirements). There's nothing wrong with either route. The important thing is that it's taught somewhere in there. If they were waiting until 6th grade, I'd be concerned. :tongue_smilie:

You're not behind if your curriculum doesn't do long division in 3rd grade. ;)

Do most 3rd graders, at this time of year, in ps learn long division?? I was shocked when a friend told me her dd who is in 3rd at an average ps was learning it. I guess I thought that was 4th?? Clearly we're behind our ps system if that is right!!

All my kids are behind "grade level" in math. This is because they just aren't ready. I refuse to push when they aren't ready. My oldest didn't cover long division...or any division for that matter in 3rd grade and still got at NP score of 75 in math. The NP score is the one where if you lined up all the kids who took the test it tells you where your child lands in relation to the others. Only 25% of the kids did better than her despite not having any division. She also had to test at the end of 5th grade, and this time got 84%, but there were still several topics we hadn't even touched on. She will go into test again this year and I can't wait to see the scores.

Keep in mind that most middle school math is review. They do add in some higher end topics, but you have wiggle room. Programs that start Algebra in 8th are advanced. It is a nice thought but my kids aren't mathy and won't get there till 9th. I'm OK with that (despite the fact that I LOVE math).

My advice is to go at the child's pace and go for mastery not for grade level.

Heather

We use Horizons and DS learned division in Horizons 3. I think (although I don't remember for sure) that they did division with remainders in Horizons 3 as well. He's in Horizons 4 now and he's gotten into some very LONG division (like 38,940 / 58), this year.

I believe he's about on par with his friends who attend public school.

Thanks! CLE covers basic division and in 310 does cover short division with a remainder, but that will be at the very end of the year. I guess I was surprised that they were already doing it. I also was thinking of long division as several steps and then having the remainder. The CLE version isn't really that...it is more simplistic.

i wouldn't worry about it if what you are doing works for you, but our goals are long term...if my child does long division in 3rd, or 5th it doesn't matter but she does need it. We try not to compare ourselves to the public school anyway because we've been there & know it doesn't work for us. In my oldest's 4th grade math class they were 'taught' a variety of things, and she mastered none. She might have been the kid that yes, was 'doing' long division in 3rd grade, but didn't 'get' it. We began Math U See when we took her out of 4th, started all the way back at Beta because when she was taught adding and subtracting in 2nd, she didn't understand it, but the public school class moves on regardless.

Edited by rocketgirl

My son did long division in 3rd grade math through k12. They went much more in depth in 4th grade math though. They also taught short division briefly in 3rd grade but not in 4th ---thankfully since it allowed him to take too many shortcuts causing too many mistakes.

I don't think I'd worry if the 3rd grade math you are using doesn't do long division - I think they mainly touch on it but don't go in depth with it until 4th.

My older son never was exposed to long division in public school and he attended through grade 5. in 3rd they were really just starting multiplication and division concepts.

That is the case in my local area for ps kids. My dds learn it in 2nd/3rd. My older dc learned it in 4th with Saxon at private school.

From the state of TN 3rd grade math standards:

Identify various representations of multiplication and division.

Recall basic multiplication facts through 10 times 10 and the related division facts.

Compute multiplication problems that involve multiples of ten using basic number facts.

This is all the multiplication and division the TN schools are required to teach in 3rd grade. Of course, some schools and some teachers probably cover more than this minimum.

Mandy