Menu

Yikes. School doesn't include hs grades when calculating class rank/GPA.

lisabees

DS homeschooled last year and returned to ps for his senior year. We are about to send out an EA application to Dickinson today. We couldn't figure out why his class rank/GPA was so low. The counselor told us that they don't include any classes taken out of the building in their calculations. I understand, but what should we do?

Should I calculate myself and put that GPA on the common app? Help!

Is there a way for you to include a supplement or an additional explanation, where you can include a transcript of the work completed at home?

(Although, if the school grades are significantly lower than grades at home, that will probably cause a school to distrust your transcript somewhat...)

If there isn't a way to do this in the Common App, perhaps the school's own application has one.

Hope you find something that works!

Debbie

There's a place on the common app for "additional information". You can put anything you'd like to there. I would put an explanation of his hs experience and put together a transcript of the homeschool courses with a brief description of them and the grades he earned. That will give them a complete pix of his educational experience. I would also include your contact information in case they have questions about his non-ps curriculum.

We are doing the opposite of you, dd went to ps thru soph. year. I used the additional info. section to give a good description of our homeschool philosophy and experience.

Thank you. I will put the homeschool info under the additional info section. I will try not too worry about it anymore!

Thanks again. :)

ETA: Dickinson requested course descriptions and separate transcript. I incorrectly assumed that I didn't need to do this, since hs course names and grades are on his current high school transcript. Yikes.

Edited by lisabees

I saw from the other posts that everything turned out ok. It is hard to know how and whether you've done enough. Dickinson is a beautiful school, my dd was there for a summer program. Fingers crossed for your ds.

Thank you. It is beautiful and the kids seem very happy. :)