Menu

So, did your ds wear a tie to his college/scholarship interview?

ER is willing to wear a tie to his scholarship interview (Saturday at 1 P.M. - please pray!) , but I'm wondering if he'll be "overdressed" if he does.

We're not talking Ivy League here. The school is a small, private Christian college in Georgia. Some Southern institutions hold traditional formality in high regard. But since we've never visited this particular campus before, I don't know what to expect. And this will be ER's first-ever scholarship interview, so we're flying blind!

I would definitely have him bring a coat and tie.

The only scholarship interviews my kids have attended have been two-day ones, and they both have actually specified the desired dress -- and it was suit-and-tie the first day, sportscoat-and-tie the second (and the equivalent for women -- which left us scrambling!)

I will definitely pray for your son -- that if it's His desire for your son to attend that college that He will move mightily in the hearts of the interviewers so they ask the "right' questions and that your son's answers please them and his demeanor knocks their socks off! :).

I've just spent the past hour praying and trying to submit my own desires to God. This is hard!

May God bless your son in his interview!

My only child is also a boy and he is a junior this year. We've visited a few colleges this year to try to get a feel for things and our impression is that the Christian schools that we've visited were "dressier" than the sectarian schools. You could always go for a colored shirt and tie rather than white shirt, that would still be professional, but not over the top. My son's current favorite dress ensemble is a pair of grey dress pants, black sports coat, deep burgundy shirt and a tie that has black, grey, red/burgundy, and silvery tones in it. It looks really sharp, but not quite so stiff KWIM?

I'd also poke around on the website and see how people are dressed in the photos, especially if there are photos of any kind of awards. That might give you more of a feel for the atmosphere of the place.

God Bless!