Menu

Advice on SAT prep, please

My sophomore ds took the ACT last February as a freshman and did quite well. His charter school requires taking either the ACT or SAT each year. He would like a year off from the ACT (he also took the ACT the year prior for Duke TIP). Conflicts on weekends are making it appear that the January 28th test is our best bet for taking the SAT this year. I had hoped to have him take it in March, but he has a quiz bowl competition on that testing date. Soooo, if he does end up taking the SAT in January, we aren't going to have nearly as much prep time as I had hoped for. We have the blue book put out by the College Board which contains 10 tests. How would you approach prepping? I really don't want him to have to do test prep over the Christmas break. My goal is to have him score around 2000. This is below his ACT equivalent. My hope is that he can do well enough taking the SAT this year that *IF* (a HUGE "if" I realize) he qualifies for National Merit Semi-Finalist that he will have already attained a strong enough qualifying SAT score for finalist. He will have two AP exams (BC Calculus and World History) in May, so I am not keen on the May testing date. June seems so late.

If you had only four weeks to prep using the blue book, how would you do it?

TIA.

First I'd have him take one or two tests and see where he scores naturally. He might already be over the requirement. If so, I'd only have him occasionally keep doing real practice test sections just to keep his skills up. Otherwise, I'd see what he was weak on, then work on those sections with increasing knowledge. To be more specific, we'd need to know what he's weak on...

If he's not weak anywhere, you don't want him to burn out by doing too much.