Menu

Art of Problem Solving?

We do the other way. We currently use AoPS as our main textbook. DS is taking their online class, work on their Alcumus problems, and enjoy their FTW games. He does other math for fun, including Life of Fred, Khan, and recreational math books etc.

Just wonder, what's the main math curriculum you are using? Is there a specific reason you plan to use AoPS as supplement?

My son uses AoPS as his only curriculum. He enjoys other mathy stuff too, for fun, but AoPS is more than enough on its own.

We ended up buying a bunch of the other AoPS texts, since we've enjoyed the pre-algebra so much. My girls keep swiping the books to flip through and read. I'm debating switching my 13yo from Jacob's to AoPS.

Just wonder, what's the main math curriculum you are using? Is there a specific reason you plan to use AoPS as supplement?

They'll be sitting English exams. For the core material, the Essential Maths books we're using are very good. I'm thinking of adding some AOPS for the topics such as number theory which aren't covered elsewhere.

I've heard such great things about AoPS. I'm hesitant to use it, tho, since I'm not mathy. I was ready to outsource math for pre-algebra and beyond. Can a 6th grader enroll in the online courses without parental involvement? My fear is that he will be stuck at some point, and I will not be able to help him.

Anyone using Art of Problem Solving texts as a supplement? What are you using and how?

I wanted to use AoPS as our main curriculum, but my dd wanted a more standard text (in this case Foersters). We are using AoPS's Alcumus as a supplement, and if she comes across something we haven't covered in our standard text, then we go over it in AoPS (I do have the books).

I think it would be hard to use the texts as supplements; they are very word-heavy. She likes the Alcumus because it gets down to business.

I've heard such great things about AoPS. I'm hesitant to use it, tho, since I'm not mathy. I was ready to outsource math for pre-algebra and beyond. Can a 6th grader enroll in the online courses without parental involvement? My fear is that he will be stuck at some point, and I will not be able to help him.

I think your DS would be fine. There is a messageboard for discussion w/ the teacher. If he got stuck, he'd email his question and the teacher and other, I forgot what they are called, assistants? will answer his question.

I think your DS would be fine. There is a messageboard for discussion w/ the teacher. If he got stuck, he'd email his question and the teacher and other, I forgot what they are called, assistants? will answer his question.

:iagree: Yes, the folks on the message boards are very helpful if you post a question. And each online class has a private message board of its own. My daughter is employed as an online class assistant & fields questions during class times. Outside of class, she posts questions and helps kids on the private message board. Oh, and it's nice during class because if the student has a question, it goes directly to the assistant who "whispers" the answer privately to the student. No embarrassment of asking what you fear is a silly question in front of the whole class. The assistants are *glad* to answer; they get bored if no one asks questions (trust me, I've seen it in action ;))

Edited by Kathy in Richmond

We've moved to Art of Problem Solving with Algebra for 7th and 8th grade.

The Pre-Algebra book was new this summer, so it's now possible to move into AoPS a little earlier.

In addition to the course books, there are books that are more problem solving guides for prepping for math contests and competitive math exams (like the AMC 8/10/12). If you didn't want to switch programs all together, that might be a supplement.

FWIW, keep in mind that there are not tests or lesson plans. There are some good threads on the high school board about how people have scheduled the algebra books. I've been using the chapter review problem sets as test banks. It puts some pressure on the kids to have to solve these without referencing back into the book.

So what grade did you begin to use this and what was your sequence of courses?

DD: Intro to Algebra in 7th grade (complete book)

Intro to Geometry and parts of Intermediate Algebra the following year (nominally 8th; we had her skip 8th and called it 9th)

Intermediate Algebra finished fall of 10th

Precalculus currently

DS: Intro to Algebra in 6th grade through chapter 11 (the typical Algebra 1 material)

Intro to Algebra ch. 12-22 in 7th grade

Please note that my kids are rather mathy. Our timing may not be suitable for other children.

They'll be sitting English exams. For the core material, the Essential Maths books we're using are very good. I'm thinking of adding some AOPS for the topics such as number theory which aren't covered elsewhere.

In a sense, we use AoPS both as main curriculum and also as supplement. We use and will probably continue to use online classes/textbooks for mainstream courses like Algebra, geometry, pre-cal and cal. We also use their Number Theory, Counting and Probablity books/Alcumus on our own when he has time.

Personally, I think Number Theory book as supplement should work. I would strongly recommend doing their Alcumus practice (even if only Number Theory topics).

We've used AoPS Intro to Algebra as a supplement last year through ch.11. The reason we used it as a supplement was not because it needed something else to be complete but because of ds's maturity. He is a very capable math student but he is not crazy about math nor does he enjoy musing over challenging math problems.

I felt that AoPS books might be an overkill for him so I've alway started him with a regular but rigorous textbook. Last year we used Foerster's and this year we are using Jacobs for geometry. He finished Foerster's in half a year so we moved on to AoPS algebra. He is on his way to finish his geometry text early again this year and I will move to AoPS geometry when he does.

For us, it would be best to find a text that has difficulty and depth in between AoPS and regular textbooks, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

It is my personal experience with ds and my belief that AoPS books (to be used as the only textbooks)are not for every mathy kid. The student's learning style, maturity, age, and how well s/he "wrestles" with challenging math problems are all factors that will affect the outcome.

They'll be sitting English exams. For the core material, the Essential Maths books we're using are very good.

Freerange,

I am considering whether my ds should take the IGCSE Math exam, but I don't want to leave AoPS. Unfortunately, AoPS does not cover the material in the same order, so I think we are going to need to use another text to top up AoPS and do exam prep. Would you please give a link to the Essential Maths book you are using, and also tell me what part of AoPS might supplement the English curriculum you are using for the exam.

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

Freerange,

I am considering whether my ds should take the IGCSE Math exam, but I don't want to leave AoPS. Unfortunately, AoPS does not cover the material in the same order, so I think we are going to need to use another text to top up AoPS and do exam prep. Would you please give a link to the Essential Maths book you are using, and also tell me what part of AoPS might supplement the English curriculum you are using for the exam.

Thanks,

Ruth in NZ

There's a link to Essential Maths in my sig. For IGCSE I'm thinking of sticking with David Rayner as the author, but different publisher; exactly which book we use will depend on the exam board we go for and is something we'll decide right before, given how frequently they're changing the exam syllabus. We've a range of his books from KS2 through to A-level & they're all really good.

I have AoPS Prealgebra, and though I think the style will be a good fit for DD2, I don't think it goes all that much deeper than Essential Maths, certainly not enough to justify paying five times the price. So my plan is to use Rayner's books for the exam material & AoPS for branching out into Counting & Probability, Number Theory, or the competition books. I admit I am tempted to buy all of the AoPS books (heck, if I had unlimited funds I'd buy everything listed http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/publications/) just so I could read them for the different approach, but choices have to be made.

There's a link to Essential Maths in my sig. For IGCSE I'm thinking of sticking with David Rayner as the author, but different publisher; exactly which book we use will depend on the exam board we go for and is something we'll decide right before, given how frequently they're changing the exam syllabus. We've a range of his books from KS2 through to A-level & they're all really good.

I have AoPS Prealgebra, and though I think the style will be a good fit for DD2, I don't think it goes all that much deeper than Essential Maths, certainly not enough to justify paying five times the price. So my plan is to use Rayner's books for the exam material & AoPS for branching out into Counting & Probability, Number Theory, or the competition books. I admit I am tempted to buy all of the AoPS books (heck, if I had unlimited funds I'd buy everything listed http://www.mathcomp.leeds.ac.uk/publications/) just so I could read them for the different approach, but choices have to be made.

I really like the looks of Essential Maths... ETA, however, I cannot make heads or tails of the organization.

Edited by wapiti

I really like the looks of Essential Maths... ETA, however, I cannot make heads or tails of the organization.

The numbers refer to UK school years, so roughly age 11-14 are covered by books 7-9. They're tiered for ability, so for children capable of using Aops you'd want the H books.

The numbers refer to UK school years, so roughly age 11-14 are covered by books 7-9. They're tiered for ability, so for children capable of using Aops you'd want the H books.

Ok, so you only need one book for each level? That was one of the things I was confused about. I liked the presentation and thought it reminded me a bit of MM, except for the organization. What level would you say is the "prealgebra" level, 9?

I went away to ponder on how best to answer, and then real life got in the way. Sorry!

I would say if you're coming from MM, MEP or Singapore then a lot of the year 7 material is review & reinforcement. It's taken us around 3 1/2 months to complete. EM8 includes some of the material I'm seeing in AoPS Prealgebra. I don't yet have a copy of book 9.

There's a 'mixed review unit' at the back of book 8 that could perhaps be used as a pre test for book 9, if you could get Elmwood Press to send you a pdf.

Anyone using Art of Problem Solving texts as a supplement? What are you using and how?

I got curious about AoPS, and liked the website, so ordered the Pre-Algebra books.

We are using it as a light and fun supplement to Life of Fred PreAlgebra with Bio (DS10 finished fractions and Dec & Percents). We aren't very far in -- 2 chapters or so-- but so far it's still pretty easy and nothing he hasn't already seen in Fred; it isn't bad reinforcement, though, and it's good for a kid to see things from a different point of view.

LoF remains his main program and will continue to be; it is very complete. But AoPS certainly doesn't detract from it, and I have recommended it to people who found Fred's storyline too distracting or who needed more explicit instruction.