Menu

How much to pay babysitters?

I'd pay around $10/hour.

Edited to say that I think it's too much, but that's about what the going rate is around here right now.

:iagree: Especially in LA. Less in rural areas. Depends on a lot of factors such as age and experience of the sitter, location, number of kids. You have at least two factors working against you to make a sitter closer to the high end.

Barb

Hmmm. 20 years ago I got $3/hour for watching three kids (an infant, 3 year old, and 5 year old, from after school until after bedtime, so making supper and cleaning up).

Minimum wage here is about $10 per hour right now. I just don't think that a sitter should be making what adults earn, and tax free at that.

I pay $10/hour for my three boys and I live 30 minutes east of LA.

The students who sit for me think it's a lot. But I've never needed a sitter and not had one. ;) They are always happy to come help, so I can be picky. It's worth a little extra money to have that.

But I would at least pay the minimum wage, which is $7.25.

Hmmm. 20 years ago I got $3/hour for watching three kids (an infant, 3 year old, and 5 year old, from after school until after bedtime, so making supper and cleaning up).

Minimum wage here is about $10 per hour right now. I just don't think that a sitter should be making what adults earn, and tax free at that.

Hmm, I don't see what age has to do with it? An adult and a 16yo going for the same entry level grocery job are going to start at the same salary. When you hire a sitter, you are paying for a skill you value and need. In the past (no need for sitters) I've paid based on how good the sitter was...age was never a deciding factor.

I'm in a major metro area and drove the sitter home (she was dropped off) and paid her $10 an hour. I had dinner ready, but she had to get them to eat it, clean up, play a game with them, get them ready for bed (pjs, brush teeth, clean up toys), watch part of a movie, read stories and put them to bed. I have 3 kids aged 3.5, 6 and 7.5. The sitter was a newly 16 year old homeschool girl we know from co-op. If we hadn't needed her so early and the kids were already fed and in pjs, I probably would have paid a little less ($7-8 per hour).

Hope that helps. For what it's worth, she respects our rules, cleans up and the kids love her. She doesn't let them get away with much, though she is "lots of fun," so I hear.

I think this is a bit dependent on location. I also babysat 20 years ago and never made less than $5/hr (and that was on the low side). I would bring home $50-75/day for full days and many kids. I pay our babysitter $8-10/hr depending on the duration and time of day. I don't think kids should make less just because they're kids. If they do the job and do it well, I will pay accordingly.