Menu

I thought my brain was going to explode today.

We eat a lot of apples in our family, as in "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" (and then some - LOL). I'm thinking that family would say we were full of sin. :D:D

But serious, I've never heard anything like this. :confused::confused:

:lol: we're full of 'sin' too then! and we're 'regular' sinners too!

I really thought I had heard it all. They seriously thought apples are sin? :confused:

Taking the fruit to be an apple isn't just ignorance, though. Renaissance artists used an apple in their depictions of the Fall as a visual pun (made available by Jerome's Vulgate Bible) on malum, evil, and malum, apple. The idea of an apple was reinforced by the Christological reading of the Song of Solomon ("As the apple tree among the trees of the wood, so is my beloved among the sons," etc.)

Not trying to rationalize the parents' weird behavior (though I desperately want to believe that they all rehearse this little drama at home and perform it for the benefit of strangers); just saying that the forbidden fruit-apple association has some precedent worthy of the interest of classical homeschoolers.

:confused: This sounds like theater of the absurd, for sure. Weird!

Elaine

Maybe we should try searching You Tube for something similar. OP, are you sure there wasn't a hidden camera somewhere? I could totally see my dh doing something ridiculous like this in front of strangers just to see the reaction. He's done things before but not quite this insane! :lol: