Menu

My mom's opinion of my looks

I'm a bit challenged in the looks department. Oh, I don't send children away screaming or anything. But I am overweight and my hair is very fine. I have ALWAYS wanted long hair. ALWAYS. For the first time in probably 20 years, my health has been healthy enough to allow my hair to grow past my shoulders. In the past it wouldn't grow or would break easily. Anyway, I'm going to see my parents in a week. My mom will not like my hair. She likes my hair to be cut chin-length. It probably looks best that way. But I like my hair long even if it looks scraggly and not the most refined. Perhaps it has some kind of deeper meaning to me - maybe of youth and health! Anyway - should I cut my hair and please my 86 year old mother? Should I leave my hair the way I like it and brace myself and "smile and wave" even though the comments do wound me?

I'm right there with you on liking the long hair even though I, too, look best with chin length. But, at my ripe age, I have decided to simply embrace what I like and the heck with others. Sometimes i do pull it back or up and maybe doing something like that would appease your Mom? For what it is worth, my hair is fine too and layers really, really help. DON'T CUT!:D

Do. Not. Cut. Your. Hair.

You said yourself you like it. It's your head, not hers. If it's really going to send her into a tizzy, stick it in a braid and hide the length. But if you like it, keep it!

What she said! :grouphug:

I put up my long hair when I go to visit certain relatives who think women this close to 40 shouldn't have long hair. But that's as far as I'll go. It's my hair!

I'm glad you've been healthier so your hair will grow. That's a good thing.

My mother felt women of a certain age shouldn't have long hair. When I was around her, I wore it up, out of respect. Now that I'm more certainly that age, I tend to agree, and have cut it.

Just curious, what age would that be? :001_smile:

That's the way my MIL thinks and her age cutoff is 35 which I think is ridiculous. At 57, my mother had beautiful wavy hair just past her shoulders till she had to cut it for brain surgery.

If you like it, don't cut it.

Here's the thing with putting it up or in a braid. My hair is REALLY fine. The braid would be pencil thin. It's hard to put up because most hair things slide right off. I do put it in a pony tail. It makes my hair look thinner than when it is just long, though, because when you gather it and pinch it with the hairband, it pinches to almost nothing. But a pony tail would work.

I've been sort of teary over this thread. I'm not sure why but my hair is a really emotional thing for me.

Jean,

It's sweet to even consider your Mom's desire for your hair/length. :001_smile:

However, it's your hair. You need to like YOUR hair on YOU! I, too, love long hair. I grew it out several years ago and dd and I had a pic taken together. If my hair wasn't so thick, I'd wear it longer today!

Certainly eventhough your Mom may have her preferences for your hair; she'll be fine with your choice to grow it longer.

Also, why not just wear it swept up in back with a jaw clip? ;) Shorter for her, but look out when you take it down.....long again. :tongue_smilie:

Jean, I have fine hair also. While I wear my hair shorter now, when I wore it long, I would gather it in a low pony tail and twist it up. Then, I would use regular barrettes to keep it twisted up. I let mine be loose at the top and kind of funky, but you could certainly twist it into a more traditional look. I liked that I could actually wear regular barrettes.

Keep your hair. It's yours. It's so kind of you to think of your mom's feelings. Even as adults, we want and crave that attention! But, it's your hair. See if you can put it up some how or get a cute hat to wear for the day, but keep your hair.

Pin it up, clip it up, something for the day or two, that you can live with, SO you don't have to live with those comments, in your mind. Do not actually cut your hair. Think compromise. She's 86, your only mom. Every visit is precious.

Every time I saw my mom, she'd comment on my hair (too long, too stringy, too straight, too curly). My weight was simpler: too much. Her advice about weight loss was ridiculously, amazingly archaic. She did not want to listen to what was going on with me. I wish I could remember her being happier with me.

So glad your health is better.

You do not ask for advice on hair, but mine has been quite fine, since I have been grown. I have used the Loving Care temporary kind of hair color (hard to find now) to give my hair weight. Permanant or even semi-perm hair color is damaging....this stuff, used in a light color (it does not bleach, it kind of coats your hair) gives your hair a little weight, some substance. It might be useful to you? Check with a hairdresser, though. WHat works for me, may not for you.

Here's what worked for me when my mother expressed her preference for my hair length yet one more time (and believe me, I had heard it quite a few times before):

"Mom, I'm 48 years old. You don't get to vote anymore."

This even got a muzzled smile from my father.

Keep your hair. Wear earplugs. Hearos extra strength. Make sure your hair covers your ears. I think they are yellow. If she sees them, tell her it's ear wax and you've put drops in to make it gradually come out.

Love it!

Jean, your hair is not the problem! Its your ears! You can still hear her!

(Giving you another gentle hug :grouphug: )

Definitely don't cut your hair! I wouldn't even wear it up if that isn't a style you enjoy.

Can you mention to your mom, maybe over the phone, how great you feel that you have been able to grow your hair? Kind of like a passing comment? I agree that this is more of a problem of your mother's but I can see it still being hurtful. :grouphug:

Definitely don't cut your hair! I wouldn't even wear it up if that isn't a style you enjoy.

Can you mention to your mom, maybe over the phone, how great you feel that you have been able to grow your hair? Kind of like a passing comment? I agree that this is more of a problem of your mother's but I can see it still being hurtful. :grouphug:

Well, talking to my mom on the phone is a problem because she is extremely hard of hearing. If I wear those ear plugs that have been recommended, it could make for a very entertaining time.:D

Every time I saw my mom, she'd comment on my hair (too long, too stringy, too straight, too curly). My weight was simpler: too much. Her advice about weight loss was ridiculously, amazingly archaic. She did not want to listen to what was going on with me. I wish I could remember her being happier with me.

My dad is the one who comments on my weight. :glare:

Oh, my daughter just said, "Tell her to get a tattoo. That will get her mom's mind off the hair!"

:lol:

Or you could pierce your nose or lip or something. :D

My dad is the one who comments on my weight. :glare:

Mine, too. :grouphug:

Wear your hair how YOU like it. It's your hair. You're all "growed up" so you can actually do what you like instead of what your mom prefers.

Jean, I am you. I am overweight with baby fine hair and not very much of it either. I have worn it short for many years and for the last two years have been broke so no haircuts for me. My hair is down to my shoulder blades now. I don't care what other people say. If you are really concerned, braid it and wind it into a small bun. They do have things in the drug stores now that can make your bun look larger. I don't care to use them. I just stick my hair in a pony tail and leave it at that. I have finally decided that I like myself and am willing to stand up for myself. It is your hair. Your mother stopped being able to tell you what to do with your hair when you moved out of her house. Enjoy your hair and your visit with your mom.

Well, talking to my mom on the phone is a problem because she is extremely hard of hearing.

Does she Skype? :tongue_smilie: 'Cause I could help with my transcription service for hard of hearing people; we could do a conference call and I can transcribe. I could program "Oh, mom!" or "Hmmm, I'll think about that and get back to you" into my dictionary (or any phrase you think you might utter a lot). :D

:grouphug::grouphug:

I just saw this lovely long hair. You are beautiful. Smile so big and hug so hard, she'll never find time to complain.

These are the times that cause me to sit up and take note: how can we make sure our daughters never get this feeling from us? I'd say more, but...

Edited by Natalieclare

:grouphug:

Jean, I'm so sorry to hear your mom is difficult about your hair. I agree with everyone else--it's your hair. Having it long makes you feel good; it enhances the good health you're enjoying right now. I'm glad my mom never gives me grief about wearing my hair long. She's in her mid-60's and her hair is longer than mine. ;)

ETA: My sil has very fine hair and has always worn it long. She usually has it in a braid because she's very active, but that braid is super skinny. She doesn't care; she just likes keeping it long. She's nearly 60 btw.