Menu

Digital Cameras - your favourite? Suggestions?

Hi all. My dear hubby has announced to me he'd like to buy me a new digital camera for Christmas! :001_smile:

I currently have a Canon Powershot A590, so I'm looking to upgrade from that. After much research, I've come up with the following list of possibilities (but, I'm sure there are more!):

Canon Powershot SX30 IS

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100

Fujifilm FinePix S4000

Fujifilm FinePix HS20.

I'm after something with the following features:

Good zoom (doesn't need to be a super-zoom, but so I can zoom in on a building, etc. from some distance away)

Good, clear, pictures

Good videos (although we do have a video camera as well)

Most of the photos I take are of the children - so quick shutter speed is of high priority, as they tend to move!

Animals,

my Art Work,

and Old Buildings. Often I need to 'snap' the building as we drive past (hubby doesn't like to stop all the time). So, I need something I can pull out, switch on, and take the photo quickly.

I'd also prefer a camera where I do not have the change the lens.

I think a 'bridge' camera is what I'm looking for, but I'm too far from a camera or electrical store to pop in and take a look, so I'm left with online research.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated - thankyou so much!

Linda.

Why are you against interchangeable-lens cameras, if you don't mind my asking? They tend to be better for things like shooting children on the move, shooting indoors and under other challenging conditions, etc. If it's the size, some of the smaller SLRs and especially the newer "mirrorless" cameras (micro 4/3 et al.) can be quite small.

My children have the Canon Powershot A590--the same camera you have. Last Christmas, dh got me the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 (also sold as the TZ10), and I love it! I researched forever, it seems, and this is the one I chose. I like that it is small & lightweight, it has a rechargeable battery so that I don't have to buy batteries, it has 12x optical zoom, and shoots video in HD Lite. One GREAT feature with this camera is that you can zoom while shooting video--something that is lacking in most similar cameras.

Since I got my camera last year, Panasonic has released the ZS8 & ZS10, but I don't really know anything about those except that the newer ones have 16x optical zoom, full HD, and touch screen. Dh ordered mine from http://www.bhphotovideo.com; they had the best price and great service.

Edited by ereks mom

Why are you against interchangeable-lens cameras, if you don't mind my asking? They tend to be better for things like shooting children on the move, shooting indoors and under other challenging conditions, etc. If it's the size, some of the smaller SLRs and especially the newer "mirrorless" cameras (micro 4/3 et al.) can be quite small.

Just because of the time it takes, and for transportation. I need a camera I can simply pick up, turn on, and take the shot.

Do you have a price range?

I really good place to research is DPReview.com I think I spent months there before making a decision.

I have a few suggestions/ideas but would need to know a price range before giving my opinion.

Dawn

Price Range - up to about $500. But that is Australian prices, I've no idea how that compares to US prices at the moment, although it should be fairly similar, as we're currently sitting even in the exchange rates.

Just because of the time it takes, and for transportation. I need a camera I can simply pick up, turn on, and take the shot.

SLRs and mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras tend to be the fastest in operation. And as I said, you can find some quite small, definitely in the size range of a good bridge camera.

Bridge cameras have these general characteristics:

+ Lower price

+ Extremely long zoom available in single lenses

- Image quality

- Flexibility

- Autofocus

- Handling speed

SLRs etc. have these:

- Higher price with more accessories, lenses, etc. available (always something to tempt you)

+ Image quality

+ Flexibility

+ Autofocus

+ Handling speed

Portability's basically a wash. Neither is pocketable. There is no pocketable camera that's nearly as good as an SLR for the uses you've described.

If you want a camera that's practically instant-on, plenty (maybe all) modern SLRs fit the bill. You can also set them up so that a half-press of the shutter or a button will wake it up instantly.

I had the same question a few months ago and ended up going with the Canon Powershot SX30 IS, and I've been very pleased with it. A DSLR was way out of my budget. We had a Fuji Finepix S5000 for years, and we absolutely loved it (until it died and was so old that Fuji couldn't find parts to fix it), so maybe the S4000 is good too, not sure.

I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ7 and i LOVE it!! It has a Leica lens that is so crystal clear. Unmatched in my opinion. I've been through quite a number of digital point & shoot cameras now and it is the best one i have come across so far.

I don't know about the particular models you are looking at but really consider the Panasonic. If it has the Leica lens go for it!

SLRs and mirrorless interchangeable-lens cameras tend to be the fastest in operation. And as I said, you can find some quite small, definitely in the size range of a good bridge camera.

If you want a camera that's practically instant-on, plenty (maybe all) modern SLRs fit the bill. You can also set them up so that a half-press of the shutter or a button will wake it up instantly.

:iagree:

When I got my first DSLR, DS and I had a shoot off with the DSLR vs the point and shoot, I shot 17 photos by the time he shot one. Instant start up and no shutter lag. If your budget will allow it, I'd go for an entry level SLR or bridge camera, you will not regret it.

The other thing is that there are a lot of people importing cameras out of Hong Kong at vastly reduced prices, because even with parity with the USD, we are still paying ridiculous prices here. I'm in the market for a pro DSLR at the moment and the saving is hundreds of dollars, lots of hundreds! The warranty issues are a little more complex than for Aussie cameras and for that reason, and the fact that I can't be without my camera at all, I'm going Aussie product for the camera body, but if you are not studying or working as a photog, take a look. Many of them have some kind of special Aussie warranty arrangement.

Linda,

I would go with what you feel comfortable with, but I too would suggest an entry level DSLR. Even if he never changes the lens or goes beyond "auto" setting, they still deliver better pictures.

Most entry level DSLR cameras, even with a lens, are around $500 (US). If you want a "lens kit" that includes more than one lens, you would be looking at closer to $700-$800. I have priced several of them out.

And, the entry level DSLRs are not any larger or bulkier than most of the "bridge" cameras, but come with the added bonus of learning more about photography and/or changing lenses later if desired.

If you are really only thinking of the ones you mentioned, I would go with the Canon as it is my personal preference.

Another consideration would be a Canon G series. They are more portable but offer far more of a bridge option than most others.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-G12-Digital-Stabilized-Vari-Angle/dp/B0041RSPRS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322832692&sr=8-1

I would actually love one of these for my general carry around camera.

Dawn

Here's an image quality comparison at ISO 400 between the TZ-8, successor to the TZ-7 mentioned earlier, and the DMC-G3 interchangeable-lens camera, as well as low-end, fairly small Canon and Nikon DSLRs:

http://tinyurl.com/6sdjutj

And again, at ISO 800:

http://tinyurl.com/6lrorx7

Click around in the image, especially areas of high detail such as brushes, feathers, small writing, etc. Notice the differences in detail and color.

These cameras, especially the mirrorless ones, range down to the quite small:

http://www.engadget.com/photos/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gf3/#4216201