Menu

Advice with my new dogs?

Hi Dog People!:)

I posted the other day that we adopted two bassett hounds over the weekend. These were dogs of a family we've known for years. They were heartbroken to have to give them up but had to due to a couple of health issues in the family.

We were glad to be able to take both of them as they've always been together and I think it would have been traumatic to have to separate them.

Anyway, I need a couple of pieces of advice.

The female isn't eating her dog food. I figured that she is having a hard time settling into her new environment and that she's just nervous. But this is her third day with us.

I bought the exact food they said they fed them. Today I finally mixed a raw egg into it for her and she took a couple of bites but didn't even eat quite half. I did get her to eat the crusts I cut off of my ds's grilled cheese sandwich.

She seems to really like us although she's nervous around dh. She "smiles," wags her tail, runs around the yard, and is sleeping in ds's bed with him.

Any advice on making her comfortable enough to eat? How long can this go before I get concerned?

Second, it is obvious these hounds haven't been out walking.;) I took them outside yesterday with their brand new collars and leashes and they didn't have a clue. I ended up having to carry them back into the house because they would come.:001_huh:

Any tips on leash training them? Should I try to take them out one at a time?

They are so stinkin' cute but I need some help.:)

Don't give her special food, unless you want to keep it up. Our puppy didn't eat for a few days and the vet wasn't concerned. She was drinking and playing, so he said she would eat eventually.

Our puppy wasn't leash trained, either. I would take them out separately, for very short walks. We take treats and keep it very positive. I use the treat like a carrot in front of her. She balks at the door, I put a treat past the door. She's pulling, I don't pull back. I put a treat in the direction I want her to go. As she gets better, I use fewer treats. But still use frequent ones. Our puppy loves cheese. So, I do small pieces broken off of sliced cheese. Again, I keep the walks very short. I think 3 short, positive walks a day is better than 1 long one where dog and human gets frustrated. Ours is a boxer, who needs exercise. We're just doing exercise in the back yard until she gets better on the leash.

She can go a long time without food, er-dog food. She's getting food, the bonus food you're tempting her with! lol I'd just stay in the routine and as the rest of the dust in her life settles she will get more comfortable and start to eat when she should. A little chicken broth or something on her food might tempt her without having her get totally spoiled!

Smiling is nervousness, she's worried. keep it as calm and consistant as you can for a while!

Good on you for taking them in!

Are you using the food bowls they have always eaten from?

Are they used to being fed at certain times, or in a certain order?

Can you contact the prior owners and find out specific details about the dogs' routine in their home?

Yes, I'm feeding them from the same bowls and at the same time. My understanding is that they normally eat together. They told me that the female usually finishes her food first and then tries to eat his. Now, she's the one not eating.

I'm thinking about contacting them if it doesn't improve. I just didn't want them to worry about her so I wanted to see if I could find an easier fix first.:)

Don't give her special food, unless you want to keep it up. Our puppy didn't eat for a few days and the vet wasn't concerned. She was drinking and playing, so he said she would eat eventually.

Our puppy wasn't leash trained, either. I would take them out separately, for very short walks. We take treats and keep it very positive. I use the treat like a carrot in front of her. She balks at the door, I put a treat past the door. She's pulling, I don't pull back. I put a treat in the direction I want her to go. As she gets better, I use fewer treats. But still use frequent ones. Our puppy loves cheese. So, I do small pieces broken off of sliced cheese. Again, I keep the walks very short. I think 3 short, positive walks a day is better than 1 long one where dog and human gets frustrated. Ours is a boxer, who needs exercise. We're just doing exercise in the back yard until she gets better on the leash.

Very good point about not giving her special food unless I want her to get used to it. She is drinking plenty and playing in the yard. She has a hard time settling in to relax enough to take a nap.

Thanks for the walking advice, too!:)

She can go a long time without food, er-dog food. She's getting food, the bonus food you're tempting her with! lol I'd just stay in the routine and as the rest of the dust in her life settles she will get more comfortable and start to eat when she should. A little chicken broth or something on her food might tempt her without having her get totally spoiled!

Smiling is nervousness, she's worried. keep it as calm and consistant as you can for a while!

Good on you for taking them in!

Chicken broth is a great idea! I'll try that tonight. I will definitely practice keeping it calm and consistent. I didn't know smiling meant nervousness.

Eggs if fresh are fine... but a bit fattening. When I got my dog, I put the kibble in my hand and he ate it... Then he started eating out of the bowl. Just a thought :)

I tried kibble in my hand and she wouldn't eat it but she had no problem with the grilled cheese crusts. I think I'll try the chicken broth instead of the egg. Way fewer calories! The last thing I want to do is make them fat! They are both very healthy weights with gorgeous coats and teeth!:)

Thank you so much for the input, everyone!

We've had three basset hounds. Loved them very much. One day we'll get another pair.

Anyway, at this point I think its within the realm of normal. Our hounds weren't overly flexible creatures and like routine and us. It'll take them a while to get used to their new family. If she's drinking water, she'll eventually eat.

Congratulations on your new family members.

Is she evacuating? I've had two dogs who were shy about their bathroom habits. One guy would pee on everything, but had to be on his own to poop. My current girl, is kind of shy about both, unless its certain spots she likes. A really long leash, and we turn our backs during walks, seems to help. Funny.

So, maybe your dog just needs to empty out, in order to eat. Just a thought.

Good luck.

For walking skills, a prong collar is invaluable.

It does NOT hurt the dog; just keeps his/her attention. With very little pressure, the dog will grasp what you're trying to accomplish.

Every poorly-leashed dog I've ever worked with has responded immediately with a prong collar.

Again, it does not hurt the animal; try putting it around your arm and pulling; it's just a stimulating pressure rather than a choking sensation...which they can't make sense of.

I know everybody says to just keep putting down the dog food and they will eat eventually, but I have two dogs that won't do this. They both will vomit bile and then go to sleep, and just sleep (two completely different breeds, how did I end up w/ two I don't know). They need to be led back to dog food. The rescue I worked with for 8 years always recommended scrambled eggs mixed in w/ some food when the new dogs arrived. She is likely to be very stressed (especially if she is normally a good eater) and few days of TLC isn't going to ruin her for life. Once you get her eating again, she's likely to go back to her food again. Expect the adjustment period to be around 3 weeks.

As far as walking, are there other dogs in the neighborhood that you could go for walks with? Sometimes another dog is a better teacher.

Thank you to everyone for your suggestions!

Last night, she ate a few bites of her dinner. I added the chicken broth.:)

This morning, I added the broth again and she walked away. I added a scrambled egg and she ate about 3/4 of everything in her bowl.

She drinks lots and is active. I'm not sure about pooping cause I don't know which poop belongs to which dog.;) I do know she goes out all the time and I let them go out by themselves.

I hope she's turning the food corner!

Thanks again!