Menu

UPS, a vent about common sense

So I had 5 things being delivered today. One was overnight b/c the company sent it to the wrong address but I paid the people there to get it to me.

I am home all day long. I was sitting by the front door. I got an email saying my stuff was delivered. Went out. Nothing. Nada. Not even on the neighbors porches.

After a 30 minute call with UPS(most on hold) I have to just wait and hope they can contact the driver.

So then they come to my door with everything.

They left it at the same house number a street over. The guy said the number matched but they couldn't see the street sign but assumed it was the right house.

Seriously? UPS doesn't have GPS units in the vans? It was two people who made the decision to leave it at the right house number even if they couldn't be sure it was the right street!!!! They are so lucky they came quickly tonight...had my overnight shipping been delayed a day due to their ignorance someone was going to get an earful!

All is well, but gosh my blood pressure that hour was through the roof! :001_huh:

I get this all the time. A house on the next street has the same number and we always get their packages. The thing is, I get lots of UPS stuff here- Amazon Prime sees to that. So it's not as if the UPS guy isn't familiar with what OUR address is.

I should be grateful that we get their stuff AND ours- it would be worse if they got ours.

I know how you feel- and hope you have an opportunity to vent to UPS about it.

We had a DHL van deliver a parcel sent to me by a friend to a random address 5 miles away. Totally different address, different county (we are right on the border), the only thing in common was the number and a similar tree related street name. Worse the courier just left the parcel on their doorstep. The people it was delivered to were really sweet and brought me the parcel else I wouldn't have known where it had ended up. The address was clear enough for them to read it, don't know why the courier messed up so badly.

We had a DHL van deliver a parcel sent to me by a friend to a random address 5 miles away. Totally different address, different county (we are right on the border), the only thing in common was the number and a similar tree related street name. Worse the courier just left the parcel on their doorstep. The people it was delivered to were really sweet and brought me the parcel else I wouldn't have known where it had ended up. The address was clear enough for them to read it, don't know why the courier messed up so badly.

DHL is the WORST! We once had a car dealership in FL overnight us papers to NC for dh to sign so my mom could drive his new truck to us. It didn't come, even after 3 days, so dh flew to FL, signed the papers, and drove the new truck back (in one day.)

Two days after he got back, DHL called to get directions. I kid you not. I told him that we didn't need it anymore as my dh had already gone to FL to sign the papers. It was dead silence on their end....:lol:

I have NEVER had a good experience with DHL. We had one driver when we ran the chicken plant who would pull up outside the plant and lay on the horn - she refused to get out. It was a business!

The one that delivers around here drives like a maniac and almost hit my 10yo while he was riding his bike.:glare:

My dh says DHL stands for "****, he's late!":tongue_smilie:

We're on an 'a' street. ie 546a St. There is a 546 St. The exact same addy exists on the other street.

So, I constantly have cab drivers, mail, pkgs, and even first time guests to our home go to the OTHER address, and unless my neighbours are home and correct them, I either get a) ticked off calls about our not being there (and have even had cab drivers argue w/me about being at the wrong address!) or b) mail left.

Its a pita.

:001_wub: My UPS driver is fantastic. I live in a rural area, where people will simply build a road, put up a street sign, and call it good. The local driver never misses a beat. When he's out sick or on vacation, the poor substitute can be seen driving around and around and around until 10 PM.

DHL and FedEx...on the other hand....don't get me started! :glare:

I'm in a rural area, too. Difficult mail-wise, because my physical location is not my address: its determined by rural mail routes. The town my address says, is about 14 miles away, and the town I live within, is 2 1/2 miles away, but I can't get my mail from that P.O.

Anyhow, I have the best, best, best UPS guys. One year, new drum heads for marching band were sent so late, the marching band was getting ready to go on the road.....so he met me off his route, and gave

'em up. They always come thru.

I thought DHL was gone. Haven't seen 'em in a long time. FedEx is pretty good, not great, at finding me. THe guys are nice, though. Always.

Sorry for your trouble. Give them a Christmas treat and they'll remember your street.

So what's up with UPS giving stuff to the Post Office to deliver?

I ordered something UPS OVERNIGHT last Wednesday. Monday the Post Office called me to come get it (no they did not try to deliver.) Later that day, they brought the signature card to sign for it. Tuesday they didn't even come to the door (I was home all day.) I still don't have it.

I once ordered blinds custom-made to fit the front window in our new house. We had just moved several hundred miles to a new state.

I still don't know whose mistake it was, but somehow UPS combined my old address with the new, so the package was sent to my *old* street and house number, but in my *new* town and state!

I was beside myself, since these were expensive blinds, and I had no idea where they ended up. UPS said they were "delivered", but where?! I was told they had no other way to track it, and could do nothing but refund my money.

As I tried to scramble and figure out how I would get a new set of custom blinds made before my out-of-town family came to visit from back home, I had an idea. What if there was a street in my new town with the same name as the one back home (it wasn't a common name.at.all).

I called the town hall, and sure enough, the street name wasn't exactly the same, but close enough. Since property ownership info. is public domain, I found out who owned the house that shared my old address, looked up their number, and gave them a call. They did indeed have my blinds, and were hoping I would show up looking for them. Incidentally, they had a beautiful new home with atrium windows and would have no use for blinds custom made for windows from the 70s :lol:.

Oh, BTW, this street was a block and a half down the road from me, in a direction I rarely traveled, and never noticed before :001_huh:.

Sometimes the coincidences in my life amaze me.

Our current UPS driver is great but the one at our previous house was terrible.

Our house backed up to a side street and faced a culdesac. Instead of pulling in to the culdesac so that he could leave packages on the front porch he would toss them over the privacy fence into the back yard. They always landed in my flower beds and wound up wet because we had an automatic sprinkler system. He would always stick the attempted delivery notice for packages that needed a signature to the garage door (and of course we never saw it as we used the automatic door opener as we came down the street).

It took 9 damaged package claims for UPS to finally do something about his laziness.

:001_wub: My UPS driver is fantastic. I live in a rural area, where people will simply build a road, put up a street sign, and call it good. The local driver never misses a beat. When he's out sick or on vacation, the poor substitute can be seen driving around and around and around until 10 PM.

Ditto.

I meet the UPS driver at his truck - if I don't hear it come the dog does and lets me know :-) which is easy since we are always about 6:30pm delivery time. I know when a delivery is expected. The driver and I chat up a storm - he knows us and is not likely to mess up an order.

Now - FedEx has delivered stuff to the wrong address, and when it was reported by us as NOT delivered they sent someone to track it down and then fling the large, heavy box on our porch at 11:30 at night. They also like to stick stuff in our uncovered backyard, in any kind of weather, rather than leave a box on our covered front porch like UPS or USPS does.

This morning I had an email saying Ensenda delivered at box to my side door at 7:46 am. H'mmm. I was home, in the downstairs front of the house at that time, and never heard a delivery. The dog never barked. WE HAVE NO SIDE DOOR. By 8:30 am I had contacted Amazon and told them to re-send the box and PLEASE to use my UPS man - I got Prime mainly to ensure UPS delivery of my stuff!.

Edited by JFSinIL

Our UPS man usually braves it and delivers our packages to our porch even though our dog is huge and protective. There's one he'll bite b/c he just doesn't like him at all...so my guess is the one that nearly got his hand bit when he reached toward me with a package (yay for protective pup since DH works nights as an RN!) is the one that LEFT MY PACKAGE ON TOP OF DH's TRUCK IN. THE. RAIN. :glare: We live 5 miles into a 7000 acre wooded "resort"...it's more like a state park that's privately owned and you can't even see our house from the road b/c it's such a steep slope down to our home. Our guys always find us though :)

2 of the last 3 packages I have ordered from Amazon have gotten "lost". Who lost them, I don't know. Fed-ex says they delivered them to the post office; post office says they were scanned in, but it was a digital scan, not a physical scan, and they don't really know where our package is. One call to Amazon, and they are overnighting it UPS. I love my UPS guy. He's adorable. :D Oh, and really laid back and dependable too!

Oh, and the lady at the post office was snippy because she has been getting "so many of these calls lately." Umm, wonder why! Maybe she should tell somebody to figure out a better system-isn't that why we have tracking numbers in the first place? To KNOW where the packages are!

Edited by Unicorn

We've gotten mail four times in the month of November. Our mail is flown in, and sometimes they cancel due to weather but other times I think they just want a day off. :glare: My iPad has been marked "delivered" for 7 days and if it doesn't come on Friday then I won't get it before I leave for Christmas. I get about 50% of my groceries by mail so this is a constant frustration.

Our post office is only open three hours a week (from 10-11 on M, W, F). If the mail plane makes it in, I have to go to the post office and pull my packages out of the back of the truck. If I miss my chance, I have to wait 2-3 days for the next "office hours." There is no such thing as home delivery. I'm responsible for 2 other families' packages because they can't get to the PO to pick them up.

My big irritation is what happened today. OK, three months ago I returned a pillow to Amazon. I paid over $12 in return postage for this dumb pillow and waited for the credit to come through. After a month, I called Amazon and they said they hadn't received it but they would apply a credit to my account. Today I went to the post office to look for mail, and behind the counter, under a table, I saw a large Amazon box. I asked the lady filling in to check it for me, and yup, it was the box with my pillow inside. :glare: It had no postage on it, but she found the record of my payment (on August 22!) so she put stamps on the box and will send it out on the next mail plane. The PO is one room, and the table is essentially where all the weighing, stamping, accounting is done, so it's not like it was hidden. The worst part is I can't even complain because in a town of 80 people you don't dare burn bridges.

Each Postcode covers between 8 and 14 houses in a town - usually all houses on one side of a street, with large businesses having their own postcode. To get something delivered, you actually only have to write the house number and the post code, so 148, KY15 5JJ should be enough. In practice, almost everyone still writes the street name. GPS works on post codes, so delivery drivers in towns would find it hard to deliver to the wrong house.

The countryside is different. My village has quite a few post codes but no house numbers. For our post code, the delivery driver gets directed by the GPS to the big house on the hill or the farm up the road. He then has to ask the way or go to the centre of the village where there's a map of all the houses. If I need something to be delivered, I fill in the optional delivery instructions box if one is provided.

Laura

We LOVE our UPS, FedEx, and USPS workers! We live in a very rural area and they are all wonderful.They know us by sight - away from our house - and are super friendly. We DO order a lot of stuff online so they know exactly where we live.

I'm sorry so many of you have problems with deliveries - I know we use to have problems when we lived in a larger city. It can be so frustrating.

DHL and FedEx...on the other hand....don't get me started! :glare:

:iagree: this. today, our ups driver drove past me on the dirt road, me going out, him going in. he braked, i braked, he walked back and handed me our parcel.... it saved us both a lot of time.

i once found a package fedex had thrown from the truck under some trees 100 yds from the house..... he thought he heard coyotes and wouldn't get out of the truck.... :lol:

I hate that FedEx won't ring the bell. Would it really be so hard to ring the bell???

UPS, on the other hand, rings and runs. I usually make it to the door before he makes it to the truck--it's become a race. (at least for me) My guy is great, though. He tried twice yesterday to deliver something from Amazon that needed a signature and laughed today when I told him that once in a while they DO let me out of the house!

We're on an 'a' street. ie 546a St. There is a 546 St. The exact same addy exists on the other street.

Ugh! I feel your pain! Growing up there was man who live at 123 Elm Street named William Thomas Smith. We lived at 321 Elm Street and my fathers name was Thomas William Smith (I made those up but you get the idea). We had a daily mail exchange.

Oh, and Fed Ex is afraid of our dog so on good days they sit in the street and honk. On bad days they just leave. I love UPS cause they know the dog is all bark and no bite.

I ordered something UPS OVERNIGHT last Wednesday. Monday the Post Office called me to come get it (no they did not try to deliver.) Later that day, they brought the signature card to sign for it. Tuesday they didn't even come to the door (I was home all day.) I still don't have it.

I had this issue as well. Well, not having to go pick it up. But the post office delivering something for UPS. I follow my packages until they get to my door. They are in town, why aren't they at my door? Because the post office has to babysit my package for 2 nights!

We LOVE our UPS, FedEx, and USPS workers! We live in a very rural area and they are all wonderful.They know us by sight - away from our house - and are super friendly. We DO order a lot of stuff online so they know exactly where we live.

I'm sorry so many of you have problems with deliveries - I know we use to have problems when we lived in a larger city. It can be so frustrating.

I loved my UPS man when we lived in a rural area. We knew him by name, the kids loved him, and he even bought eggs from us. I've never had a problem with UPS. In FL, our driver forgot to give us a box (there were 4-5 that day) and he came back later with this giant box sticking out of the back of his tiny convertible!:lol:

Fed Ex called me EVERY TIME to get directions to my house when we lived rurally.:tongue_smilie:

After reading the description of getting mail in Alaska, I think I will NOT complain!:D

:iagree: this. today, our ups driver drove past me on the dirt road, me going out, him going in. he braked, i braked, he walked back and handed me our parcel.... it saved us both a lot of time.

i once found a package fedex had thrown from the truck under some trees 100 yds from the house..... he thought he heard coyotes and wouldn't get out of the truck.... :lol:

We did that once, except we were in the nearest town when we saw him and he waved me down and gave me my box!:D I really miss our UPS man! (And small town living!)

I can't remember what type of delivery service it was now as this wsa 8 years ago or so, but we had Olan Mills pictures...the big canvas ones that were being delivered. We live in a rural area. We have an iron fence at the entrance of our property...maybe 1/4 a mile from our house.. that is about how far I have to walk for our mailbox. They left them there on the rural road, propped up on our fence... They didn't drive down the driveway to our house to leave it there. It rained later that day, but thankfully I found them on a check to the mail!!!:confused:

They left them there on the rural road, propped up on our fence... They didn't drive down the driveway to our house to leave it there. It rained later that day, but thankfully I found them on a check to the mail!!!:confused:

Oh goodness!

Our driveway isn't that long, but it is longer than most, and a very similar thing happened to us. Thank goodness it *is* a rural road, or I'm sure it would have been taken! What on earth could these people be thinking?!

We've gotten mail four times in the month of November. Our mail is flown in, and sometimes they cancel due to weather but other times I think they just want a day off. :glare: My iPad has been marked "delivered" for 7 days and if it doesn't come on Friday then I won't get it before I leave for Christmas. I get about 50% of my groceries by mail so this is a constant frustration.

Our post office is only open three hours a week (from 10-11 on M, W, F). If the mail plane makes it in, I have to go to the post office and pull my packages out of the back of the truck. If I miss my chance, I have to wait 2-3 days for the next "office hours." There is no such thing as home delivery. I'm responsible for 2 other families' packages because they can't get to the PO to pick them up.

My big irritation is what happened today. OK, three months ago I returned a pillow to Amazon. I paid over $12 in return postage for this dumb pillow and waited for the credit to come through. After a month, I called Amazon and they said they hadn't received it but they would apply a credit to my account. Today I went to the post office to look for mail, and behind the counter, under a table, I saw a large Amazon box. I asked the lady filling in to check it for me, and yup, it was the box with my pillow inside. :glare: It had no postage on it, but she found the record of my payment (on August 22!) so she put stamps on the box and will send it out on the next mail plane. The PO is one room, and the table is essentially where all the weighing, stamping, accounting is done, so it's not like it was hidden. The worst part is I can't even complain because in a town of 80 people you don't dare burn bridges.

Oh Andrea! You just made my day! I promise to try harder not to complain about *my* rural post office. (It closes for an hour for lunch and at 4:45 on Fridays.) I had a run in over there twice this week, but it was NOTHING compared to your adventure.

that is the business. I have had that too. Looks like it will be delivered that day but then it disappears from tracking and USPS shows up a day or two later.

It's better than the unmarked Honda Civic I had last winter.....

My regular UPS guy has been on his route the six years we've lived here - he's fantastic. He even toots the horn when he's coming down the driveway so we know he's here. His temporary replacements when he takes vacation - not so much.

Right now my guy is on vacation (or sick - not sure - but he's out this week).....and last night, DH came home and was a bit peeved when he walked in....he said, the blinds apparently came along with a million boxes and they're all in front of my garage door!

Sure enough, delivery was made right in front of DH's garage door, despite my garage door up (UPS knows it's okay to come into the garage and leave the packages there) --- all piled up so there was no way DH could get into his garage! I had no clue he'd come to delivery - no knock at the door, no ringing of the bell....nope, just drop and run! Not only did the blinds arrive, but everything I ordered over the weekend hit too....and we had to haul it all into the house!

Oh, and Fed Ex is afraid of our dog so on good days they sit in the street and honk.

I think this is reasonable. We also have a dog with a loud bark. Our mail is sometimes delivered this way: they stop further down my driveway and honk. If I'm home, I'm happy to go out, or send a kid out, to get the mail.

We live in a townhouse and there are apartments underneath in what was the basement of each townhouse. You have to go to the back of each house to get to the apartments. This has also made the house numbers in an odd order. Every time there is a new delivery person, they either knock on my door to ask where the number of the apartment under us is, or they just leave it at my door, because, hey, the numbers are close enough!:glare:

We've had no problems with UPS here. The FedEx guy likes to deliver my neighbors' packages to me because I'm home and he knows they'll want their electronics today. Good thing I'm honest. :tongue_smilie:

I know FedEx has some kind of shipping deal with the USPS. FedEx will take the package to a certain point then drop it at the post office for local delivery. Maybe UPS has this kind of deal as well?

The best story we've heard about a bad delivery is from mil. They lived for a time in a tiny holler in WV. You know, narrow twisty roads going up and down the mountains, usually covered in ice because no plow could ever manage to get down there? FedEx calls them one day. They have a letter--are they coming into town today? Maybe they could pick it up when they come into town? Nope, not coming into town. They went to town only once or twice a month as it was 1.5 hours away. Mil suggests they put a stamp on it and let the PO deliver it; the postman comes by their house everyday. FedEx replies in horror that they can't do that! The roads are so bad they don't get their letter delivered for a few days, although USPS has still been by their house everyday. Turns out the package was simply some insurance info fil had asked about. The agent was so enthusiastic he sent it overnight FedEx, but the info wasn't urgently needed.

My UPS guy came bay at 6pm last night, that's at least an hour later than normal. Those black Friday sales must have been good. Our house is easy to find here.

Can the drivers accept drinks? I was thinking of offering him a cold soda, but I didn't know if that was against rules.

I get this all the time. A house on the next street has the same number and we always get their packages.

:confused: Are you kidding!!!!! Every house on every block here has the same numbers. So, there's about 96 blocks in a row with my house number besides mine. UPS and FEDEX never blows it. NEVER.

Ask for your carrier to be sent back to geography class!

P.S. Our UPS and FEDEX folks have been known to flag us down if they see us heading off-island and they have something to deliver to us. And, the other day, a car came screeching up in front of my house and two guys jumped out with a hang tag to exchange for a package on the truck, as UPS was delivering to my neighbor. So, I guess it goes both ways here. :D

Wow. That is amazing.

You're mail isn't flown in by Era Alaska...I watch too much reality TV!

My husband so wants to move to remote alaska...he's an RN and wants to go to the hospital in Bethel I think it is...he'd love to be in Barrow. He watches the show about Era Alaska and drools. I told him take a travel nursing job there and get it out of his system...I'm not a cold weather person and he'd have a cow having to go get his own mail and not being able to get it daily! Ha! Your story takes the cake!