Menu

ugh. Still can't decide whether to move to WWE4, or go straight to WWS!

Halcyon

I need help figuring out what to do. I think my son is ready for WWS. Should I just give it a whirl, and if it doesn't work, backtrack and do WWE4? He's been doing his own narrations for about a year, makes few errors, dictation is good....I know some people move directly past WWE4--can I hear from people who have used it, and those who decided to move directly to logic-stage outlining and skip WWE4? Pros/cons? There's no need to rush, I know, but he's already done note-taking and outlining for science, which make me believe that it may be time to move to WWS.

Thank you!

(We are on Week 34 and I need to make a decision and order already! :tongue_smilie:)

We are using WWE4 but skipped 3 so I am no real help except I read your post and thought I would prob skip it and try for WWS :tongue_smilie: So you are no better off that you were- sorry:lol:

If you have any questions about WWE4 I can answer them though! :D

I am using WWE3 with dd now and have been wondering the same thing. I am planning to get WWS and start it after we finish WWE3. If it's too much for her, we can backtrack and get WWE4. My thinking is that I know I will need to get WWS at some point, but I may or may not need WWE4. If WWS doesn't work out right away, it won't be money wasted because I will use it with her later. The same would not necessarily be true if I got WWE4.

Have you compared the frequency/quantity of written narrations in WWS with what you're doing in WWE3? We dabbled in WWE and we dabbled in WWS, but my memory is not fresh enough to compare for you. Is he comfortable cranking out a written narration everyday? Or is it like pulling teeth? (I'm not saying you have to do a written narration everyday to do WWS, I'm just saying compare the assignments between the two to see how big the jump is). Another thought is that if WWS seems to increase the amount of writing too quickly, you can always go slower for awhile?

Again, I haven't looked at WWE4 requirements in a long time, but I'm thinking that if he's already doing written narrations independently, that WWE4 would be unnecessary?

Also, if you got WWS and it seemed too much, you could always continue written narrations for awhile in your content subjects and then try WWS again.... in other words, backing up might not require buying WWE4, kwim?

Have you compared the frequency/quantity of written narrations in WWS with what you're doing in WWE3?

No, I haven't. I should sit down and do that.

Is he comfortable cranking out a written narration everyday? Or is it like pulling teeth? (I'm not saying you have to do a written narration everyday to do WWS, I'm just saying compare the assignments between the two to see how big the jump is).

He does written narrations three times a week now, sometimes two but usually three. He doesn't complain. THey're usually about a short paragraph long (4-10 sentences?)

Another thought is that if WWS seems to increase the amount of writing too quickly, you can always go slower for awhile?

This is an option. And I am leaning toward agreeing with happyhomemaker, who said that while WWS is a definite purchase (either now or later), WWE4 may not be, so maybe start with WWS and if it's too much, backtrack and purchase WWE4. Then again, I am a slow and steady kind of gal....smiley-confused013.gif

Again, I haven't looked at WWE4 requirements in a long time, but I'm thinking that if he's already doing written narrations independently, that WWE4 would be unnecessary?

This is what I'm unsure about. I have WWS, and I've looked through it a little (will look more this week), but it seems doable. Not sure "doable" is what I'm aiming for, however.

Also, if you got WWS and it seemed too much, you could always continue written narrations for awhile in your content subjects and then try WWS again.... in other words, backing up might not require buying WWE4, kwim?

True.

Thanks. :)

I'm in the same situation you're in...with a kid the same age and same abilities. I just say move on. They'll be 5th grade anyway. Anyone who can write a 3 page paper on the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria is probably ready to move onto something more challenging. :tongue_smilie:

We go from WWE3 (in 3rd grade) to Classical Composition (in 4th grade), so my daughter's been outlining all year.

Also, I'm going to add Wordsmith Apprentice in January: http://www.writeshop.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=0020 It looks like something she might like.

Well, my son is a little older then yours. We decided to do WW4. Like someone else said, there is no rush. DS has no problems, really, with most assignments. However, I do notice that there is always room for improvement. I.e. He often has a hard time remembering what he is writing when we do dictation. He has no trouble at all with spelling and even with punctuation. However, practicing short-term memory will serve him well later. Anyway, I am in the slow and steady camp.

Susie

We finished WWE3 last year & I struggled with the same decision. Since the jump from level 3 to 4 is substantial I decided to take the kids through level 4, but on an abbreviated schedule.

We've been working on level 4 with a lot of success and I now feel confident in moving them into WWS come Jan/Feb. I figure this is one place I really want to be careful about giving them a solid foundation and not moving them along too fast. It doesn't hurt them to overlearn it, yk?

SWB does say that a child who did well in WWE3 should be able to skip WWE4 and jump into WWS. Dd10 started WW4 recently, but once I get my hands on the hard copy of WWS I'm going to give it a try.

Lisa

Did she really? Do you know where she said that? If so, I will give WWS a try in January and see how it goes. Thank you!

I am under the impression that the purpose of WWE 4 is to slowly transition the student from narrating out loud to writing their own narrations (and also increasing the length and difficulty of dictation of course). If your son is already doing this, then I see no reason why you shouldn't skip to WWS. As you said, if he ends up struggling, you can always move back down and you won't have wasted any money because you will move on to WWS eventually. I think you should try skipping and see how it goes.

If that's the same kid who's doing Henle Latin, it's probably going to be fine. :lol:

Yes, same kid. I think he'd be fine too. Personally, I'm ready for a change.

This thread might be helpful. Another approach might be to ask your son what he'd prefer. This is not something I would usually suggest but since your son seems such a mature little fellow who doesn't shy away from rigor he might be able to give you some helpful feedback.

You're right. I should ask him and see what he says. We recently have been trying out KISS grammar and he enjoys it more than GWG-says it makes him think harder.