Menu

Good reads for teen girls who don't like mainstream.

I'm looking for a good book to get each of my kids for Christmas. My two youngest girls (18 and 16) love to read, but are quite particular. They don't care for many of the mainstream teen books (I don't either).

My 18-year-old will not read fiction, but enjoys history, cooking, traveling, adventure, and music.

These would be something along the lines that I've looked at for her, to give you an idea:

http://www.amazon.com/97-Orchard-Immigrant-Families-Tenement/dp/0061288519/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322669277&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Ill-Be-Home-Christmas-Congress/dp/038533463X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322669352&sr=1-3

My 16-year-old loves stories that take place in the past that have an adventurous/courageous bent. She has read many books about the Holocaust, for example. She enjoys some classics, but not all. She LOVED Little Women. She did enjoy Harry Potter. They need to be about girls though, for the most part. I'd love to find her a new series, but I know she would not get into most modern teen book series. She is not into boys, romance, trends. The ideal series would be like Little Women -- it would take place in the past, about a sweet, courageous family with the "star" being a girl her age. :) However, I don't think such a series exists.

For your 16-year-old, I would recommend books by Gene Stratton Porter. These are old books.

Laddie is about a wonderfully courageous family. The story line is not exceptional but I enjoyed reading about and gaining inspiration from the family. A book with a girl heroine is Girl of the Limberlost, which is by the same author.

For adventure, wholesome characters, and a touch of romance, I'd suggest The Woman in White by Wilke Collins.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is an excellent coming of age story set around the turn of the century.

A newer book either might enjoy is The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Socieity by Shaffer.

Something that is more "PG-13" is I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith.

Ooh, someone beat me to I Capture the Castle (as you can see from my blog name, that's one of my favorites!). I don't know if I'd call it PG-13 myself though. It's really, really tame.

I'll add that either might enjoy Jennifer Donnelly's works. She's a YA author who writes literary historical fiction with a female bent. Try A Northern Light, which won the Printz several years ago.

My 16-year-old loves stories that take place in the past that have an adventurous/courageous bent. She has read many books about the Holocaust, for example. She enjoys some classics, but not all. She LOVED Little Women. She did enjoy Harry Potter. They need to be about girls though, for the most part. I'd love to find her a new series, but I know she would not get into most modern teen book series. She is not into boys, romance, trends. The ideal series would be like Little Women -- it would take place in the past, about a sweet, courageous family with the "star" being a girl her age. :) However, I don't think such a series exists.

Has she read the Anne of Green Gables series?

Hattie Big Sky (not a series. But an excellent book)

The book behind Sound of Music might be interesting to her -- and there are 2 books.

At that age I loved Victoria Holt romance novels! They're G rated and have that Jane Eyre, Anne of Green Gables feel to them. And there are dozens of them to read. I actually just got one from the library and I love them just as much as I ever did!

ETA caveat-NOT INTELLECTUAL. lol

Edited by livingnlearning