Menu

Text-book history for 7th grade American history

Please vote for a text-book American history for 7th grade  

1. 1. Please vote for a text-book American history for 7th grade

• BJU The American Republic
    • Notgrass: America the Beautiful
    • All American History
    • Other: please be specific

We really love AtB here! My boys really like it - I don't think it is SUPER exciting, but I think it covers what I need to for these two boys. They aren't history lovers, so short (not so short a lot of the time!) is good. They LOVE the maps and workbooks - which was surprising. It's been great. I looked at many of the others mentioned...I just liked the layout of this - not a lot of clutter - some color pictures and I could make it into two years without being overwhelming. Unless you were going to do it every day, though, it would be a little tough to fit into 1 year...there is a lot to it...but i"m sure it's do-able - just not around here!! :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

HTH!!

We really love AtB here! My boys really like it - I don't think it is SUPER exciting, but I think it covers what I need to for these two boys. They aren't history lovers, so short (not so short a lot of the time!) is good. They LOVE the maps and workbooks - which was surprising. It's been great. I looked at many of the others mentioned...I just liked the layout of this - not a lot of clutter - some color pictures and I could make it into two years without being overwhelming. Unless you were going to do it every day, though, it would be a little tough to fit into 1 year...there is a lot to it...but i"m sure it's do-able - just not around here!! :tongue_smilie::tongue_smilie:

HTH!!

Thank you! My boys *do* enjoy history, and they are really looking forward to American history. My older son looked at AtB and lit up when he saw the timeline, map, and student books. He told me that he wants to use a textbook. I also have the History Channel's The Story of US DVD that we'll watch too.

Since both ds like history, do you think AtB will hold their interest? Would you supplement with anything else?

Thanks!

If you're willing to bump up to a high school level, K12's American Odyssey is fabulous.

Thanks, Kai! I'm targeting American history for my 7th grader (next year), but his 4th grade brother will be tagging along.

I considered something different from AtB to use with him, but it would be such a help if they could work on Am. history together. Opinions here seem to indicate my 4th grader could use AtB. As long as each works on his own developmental grade level, then this should work fine.

I have looked at the K12 American Odyssey book on Amazon. It's expensive! I can't see inside it though; I wish that I could.

If I were to find it for a reasonable price, would it be a good book for the older son to use for additional information/outlining? I have been thinking about using the Nat'l Geographic Almanac of American History for this.

Thanks!

I haven't read the entire thread, but we are using Notgrass ATB in 8th grade. I'm adding in all the books/lesson review/workbook, etc. and it's enough when you do all that. My son is retaining the info which is nice and he actually enjoys it. He'll always say "Did you know...." and finish with something from his book. It's a hit at our house.

Heather, would you tell me how you use this book? Supplements?

Which version do you use? There are several versions at Amazon.

Thanks.

I'm sorry that I missed your posting. I have this copy of The American Journey and used it as a spine. I used this book because that was what my son's school was using when I pulled him to homeschool.

I used Evan Moor History pockets to supplement. Evan Moor has tons of supplemental information. Our study corresponded with a vacation to Pensacola, Florida and visit to Fort Barrancus. A few months prior to study, we had visited NY and visited Wall Street and Hamilton's grave. We had also visited D.C. and saw the White House, DAR, and went on a Capital tour. For supplements, we used this, full sized US and world maps, and several Civil War books to supplement. DS is up to chap 24 and sitting back in a regular 6th grade classroom. DH and I are not too thrilled about the way the authors deal with the Bolsheviks and communism overall. The text leans heavily to the left.

Evan-Moor Teacher File Box - There is so much here, I can't name it all.

Salem Witch Trial History Notes

Life on the Plantation

Last year, DS read Mark Twain and Mr. Tuckett, and I read aloud The Last of the Mohicans.

This year, DS has read Bully for You and traced our immigrant ancestors to England (DH) and Virginia Colony (moi).

NETFLIX instant downloads has tons of documentaries too. We watched a doc about Thomas Jefferson and something about the Civil War by Ken Burns.

Edited by Heathermomster
I keep remembering stuff. We loved this.

I'm sorry that I missed your posting. I have this copy of The American Journey and used it as a spine. I used this book because that was what my son's school was using when I pulled him to homeschool.

I used Evan Moor History pockets to supplement. Evan Moor has tons of supplemental information. Our study corresponded with a vacation to Pensacola, Florida and visit to Fort Barrancus. A few months prior to study, we had visited NY and visited Wall Street and Hamilton's grave. We had also visited D.C. and saw the White House, DAR, and went on a Capital tour. For supplements, we used this, full sized US and world maps, and several Civil War books to supplement. DS is up to chap 24 and sitting back in a regular 6th grade classroom. DH and I are not too thrilled about the way the authors deal with the Bolsheviks and communism overall. The text leans heavily to the left.

Evan-Moor Teacher File Box - There is so much here, I can't name it all.

Salem Witch Trial History Notes

Life on the Plantation

Last year, DS read Mark Twain and Mr. Tuckett, and I read aloud The Last of the Mohicans.

This year, DS has read Bully for You and traced our immigrant ancestors to England (DH) and Virginia Colony (moi).

NETFLIX instant downloads has tons of documentaries too. We watched a doc about Thomas Jefferson and something about the Civil War by Ken Burns.

Thank you so much, Heather!

Thank you! My boys *do* enjoy history, and they are really looking forward to American history. My older son looked at AtB and lit up when he saw the timeline, map, and student books. He told me that he wants to use a textbook. I also have the History Channel's The Story of US DVD that we'll watch too.

Since both ds like history, do you think AtB will hold their interest? Would you supplement with anything else?

Thanks!

Well, since mine like AtB, but history is not their favorite subject, I would think so!! I haven't supplemented...just had them read the lit books and we do all the activities except the creative writing. I have had them watch a few Liberty Kids videos which I know are for younger ones, but they like them and it brings it to life a little more. Any other history videos which to them equal boring, would not work! Now, my oldest, on the other hand, thinks the more boring the better!!

Well, since mine like AtB, but history is not their favorite subject, I would think so!! I haven't supplemented...just had them read the lit books and we do all the activities except the creative writing. I have had them watch a few Liberty Kids videos which I know are for younger ones, but they like them and it brings it to life a little more. Any other history videos which to them equal boring, would not work! Now, my oldest, on the other hand, thinks the more boring the better!!

Thanks, again, 3byzaz! I have not done any planning for this history in a few weeks. I got as far as deciding to use AtB for 2 years with both kids (7th and 4th grades) and adding in more readers. I don't feel like historical fiction is the best use of time for us; I would rather both ds read more biographies and interesting non-fiction books... somewhat interest driven. I would also like the older ds to use a different book (Nat'l Geo Almanac of Am. Hist or possibly K12's Am Odyssey if it can be found inexpensively) to outline. The icing on the cake will be the History of US DVDs.

I think this is going to work for us. The doubts I do have originate from knowing there is no perfect curriculum and that others have chosen something different. Sometimes choosing curricula just leaves me :willy_nilly:! :D

I really appreciate everyone's help! It's almost that time of year to start buying. I'm beginning to settle into decisions, but I'm still listening.:bigear:

...jumping in here....

Don't forget that most major publishers offer an online component.

I think this is the McGraw Hill match for the text you are chatting about:

http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078953642/student_view0/unit1/chapter1/

It's usually not too hard to match these sites with older versions of the book.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

...jumping in here....

Don't forget that most major publishers offer an online component.

I think this is the McGraw Hill match for the text you are chatting about:

http://glencoe.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0078953642/student_view0/unit1/chapter1/

It's usually not too hard to match these sites with older versions of the book.

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Thank you,Janice! I thought the on-line addition looked very interesting. I would like to know more. Can you give a link where I can see prices fir this? Could both boys (7th and 4th) use this? Are there teacher instructions that will help me plan and schedule this history?

Finally, I just wonder how McGraw Hill compares/contrasts with Notgrass AtB. I'll show this to my kids to get an idea for what they prefer.

Thanks again!

ETA: Notgrass and BJU have a student books (map, time-line, "fun" pages) as well as original documents. Does McGraw Hill (or other secular texts) also have this? The extra books are a plus for Notgrass and BJU.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

I was reading this thread as I am also trying to decide on an American History curriculum. I just wanted tpo post this schedule I found last year for a History of US: http://corefoundations.wordpress.com/scheds-english-and-history/. It has some great literature to read with the series. Also, there are many other schedules on this site. I am still trying to decide, but this thread has been very helpful!

• 2 months later...

Sweet Home Alabama - I've also been debating and trying to best fit for my sons for next year. I'll have 7th, 4th and 1st graders and we want to cover American for the next 2 years. I don't think I can make America the Beautiful work for my 1st grader (and maybe not my 4th grader who doesn't really love history). However, I'm strongly leaning towards using AtB spread over 2 years and supplementing with selected assignments from History Odyssey years 3 and 4 (which is more TWTM way of history) to provide a touch of world history to help provide that perspective.

I am also very interested in TOG but I'm just worried it's going to be overwhelming and I'm very concerned about the cost!

This thread has been helpful to me and I've checked out quite a few additional resources offered up by various readers. I love threads like this!

Haven't read all the posts but my son is in 7th this year and reading Hakim's Story of US as well. He takes a few weeks for each book. We don't do any tests or papers but he does give me a narrative after a few chapters in each book.

He likes the books and doesn't complain about reading them at all! ;)

I have not read all of them but I have read bits of each and I like them too. I can't comment on the accuracy of everything, I'm not a history buff, but I've felt comfortable with the major events discussed and nothing jumps out at me as "questionable" or overly liberal.

Sweet Home Alabama - I've also been debating and trying to best fit for my sons for next year. I'll have 7th, 4th and 1st graders and we want to cover American for the next 2 years. I don't think I can make America the Beautiful work for my 1st grader (and maybe not my 4th grader who doesn't really love history). However, I'm strongly leaning towards using AtB spread over 2 years and supplementing with selected assignments from History Odyssey years 3 and 4 (which is more TWTM way of history) to provide a touch of world history to help provide that perspective.

I am also very interested in TOG but I'm just worried it's going to be overwhelming and I'm very concerned about the cost!

This thread has been helpful to me and I've checked out quite a few additional resources offered up by various readers. I love threads like this!

Just thought I would tell you that I've looked through the text briefly, and it is a lovely textbook. I think the curriculum will be a hit with my 7th and 4th graders. They get along very well and will enjoy doing the supplementary books together: map, student wk book, and TL. One reason I want to use the book over 2 years is to make room for writing. I hope to have both do more writing across the curriculum.

At first glance, AtB would not be good for 1st. The first time we did Am. history was in 3rd grade I think. You might want to do a search/ask about resources for 1st.

• 5 weeks later...
I like A History of Us as well. I wouldn't use Freedom instead. I have it, and it's just too abridged to have the charm and depth of the series.

I'm so happy to have come across your review. I was curious about Freedom and wondered if it was just a consolidation. Glad to know it's abridged. I'll go with the original set of 10 from Hakim. :)

Oh Gosh! Sorry! Didn't see the date on this thread! I was just thrilled to find the answer to the question I was searching. Oops.

Edited by JenMama