Menu

Text-book history for 7th grade American history

Please vote for a text-book American history for 7th grade  

1. 1. Please vote for a text-book American history for 7th grade

• BJU The American Republic
    • Notgrass: America the Beautiful
    • All American History
    • Other: please be specific

Ds will be in 7th grade next year. He loves history, and he is really looking forward to American history. He wants to use a text-book. I want to be able to incorporate some of SWB's middle school writing... outlining and writing from the outline.

I am leaning toward doing American history in 2 years, so if needed, I would divide the text book to accomplish this.

My top 3 so far:

• BJU 8th grade The American Republic: I know this might be a stretch. Can a 7th grader enjoy this or is it too heavy? Ds loves the student workbook, but in the samples, we can only see a couple of pages.... not a good representation.
  • Notgrass: America the Beautiful: He loves the look of this one. I think he would say it is his favorite. Again the extra books are appealing to him: TL, maps, and student book. I'm concerned it is too brief and wouldn't give enough details. I could be wrong.
  • All American History: This is already written to do in 2 years and looks similar to Notgrass AtB. I don't like the TM... seems hard to follow and kind of stringy. Again, I could be wrong. It does seem a little more focused than Notgrass. Could this be the compromise between BJU and Notgrass?

If I should consider something else, please make suggestions... be specific. One poster that I read about suggested The American Pageant with OpenCourseWare for 7th/8th grades. I love the idea for a text with the video lessons, but I thought this might be a bit much for a 7th grade boy.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

We are using The American Journey for 7th grade american history. It is a 7th/8th grade text from Mcgraw-Hill. I found it used for less than $10. My kids both like it. We use it a our reference spine and then incorporate other living books along the way. I believe I have the 2000 edition. I've seen more recent editions and there only appears to be organizational changes.

We also use the free online quizzes on the Mcgraw-Hill website for chapter reviews.

My vote would be for Hakim's History of US.

Thank you for mentioning this... kind of forgot this one.

I have the History Channel's DVD: A Story of US, but I don't have Hakim's book series. Last night I read a post that suggested reading the shortened version Freedom: A History of US. There are also on-line helps with this book.

I'm also aware of Hewitt's syllabus that goes with Hakim's series, but I can't see samples, and I think it's more about projects and activities rather than a lesson plan with writing... something more at the logic history level.

Open to thoughts about this as well.

Thank you!

My vote would be for Hakim's History of US.

It worked out great!

We didn't do any tests, though. He'd read a chapter (or two or three), and then outline or do a list of 5-7 important facts on one of the chapters.

Edited by karensk

It worked out great!

We didnt' do any tests, though. He'd read a chapter (or two or three), and then outline or do a list of 5-7 important facts on one of the chapters.

Thank you!

So, Hakim has the edge so far over BJU, Notgrass, and AAH? Why? I'm just curious. What do you use to add in maps and timeline?

The other three have these incorporated (student book) which is an advantage for them.

I've never actually read the Hakim series, but in my research I've read that some think it is written from a liberal point-of-view. If we used this, what conservative resource could we use with it for a side-by-side comparison?

If you like K12's WOrld History texts, they also have an American History text. I"ve seen it and liked what I saw. It's pricey.

Thank you, Capt. Uhura! I understand K12's American history text is a high school version... or are you thinking of the book they use for 5-6 grades? Isn't that book Hakim's Freedom book?

I read a lot of good comments about the K12 books last night. I would be interested to hear more about them.... again, what to use for maps, and timeline?

Thank you!

So, Hakim has the edge so far over BJU, Notgrass, and AAH? Why? I'm just curious. What do you use to add in maps and timeline?

The other three have these incorporated (student book) which is an advantage for them.

I've never actually read the Hakim series, but in my research I've read that some think it is written from a liberal point-of-view. If we used this, what conservative resource could we use with it for a side-by-side comparison?

We had done maps and timelines in 6th grade world history (TOG maps and homemade timeline chart), so I didn't mind skipping them in 7th, keeping the focus on reading and writing. It looks like there are tests available for the Hakim series. But I haven't seen them and don't know if maps are included in any.

I haven't seen any published daily lesson plans for History of US, so that might be a disadvantage. Regarding a timeline, you could make your own; you'd just need to decide on which events and people to include and leave off. Or, have your student decide which things to include....it might be a good exercise in deciding what's important.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to actually read the books! My impression is that they're more conservative than the standard social studies textbook and more liberal than something like Notgrass, A Beka or BJU.

HTH!

Edited by karensk

Thank you!

What about reading A Patriot's History of the United States to balance it out? They have a website also to add things to it.

MapTrek has an integration guide for History of Us that you could use for maps.

What about reading A Patriot's History of the United States to balance it out? They have a website also to add things to it.

MapTrek has an integration guide for History of Us that you could use for maps.

Thank you, Cynthia. What grade is A Patriot's History written for? Could you provide a link to the Map Trek integrated with History of US?

Thank you!

We will be using Notgrass ATB for 8th grade. I searched and searched and finally hit on that one as the best choice for dd as a mid level US History study next year. Using Notgrass will allow us to take a lighter look at our history after having been with TOG and before heading into rhetoric stage, more in-depth study of the U.S.

As to using Hakim and your question: I wonder if you could buy a SL IG for the Hakim books. SL is conservative and they use Hakim as the spine of U.S. History. I don't have direct experience with either Hakim or SL, but it might be worth checking into.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One

We will be using Notgrass ATB for 8th grade. I searched and searched and finally hit on that one as the best choice for dd as a mid level US History study next year. Using Notgrass will allow us to take a lighter look at our history after having been with TOG and before heading into rhetoric stage, more in-depth study of the U.S.

As to using Hakim and your question: I wonder if you could buy a SL IG for the Hakim books. SL is conservative and they use Hakim as the spine of U.S. History. I don't have direct experience with either Hakim or SL, but it might be worth checking into.

Blessings,

Lucinda

Thank you, Lucinda, I think I read that you have to buy the entire Core 100 to get that Hakim resource. Please, anyone, tell me if I'm wrong.

You only have to buy the Core 100 Instructor's Guide to get the notes. You might be able to find it used and that would offset the cost quite a bit. I haven't used it yet, we've just begun Core 7, so I can't tell you if the IG is worth getting for the notes on Hakim's Text.

Thank you, Cynthia. What grade is A Patriot's History written for? Could you provide a link to the Map Trek integrated with History of US?

I'm not sure of the grade, but on Amazon you can look inside. I've heard good comments about it. There is also The Patriot's History Reader: Essential Documents for Every American that goes along with it and you can look in it also. It has primary source documents. Here is the link to the book's website:

http://www.patriotshistoryusa.com/. If you click on Teaching Materials, it has links for elementary and secondary/homeschool with ages of 10-18.

I personally always wanted to have my son read this book and Howard Zinn's book and then compare/contrast the two views.

Here is the link for MapTrek: http://knowledgequestmaps.com/HistoryofUS.pdf

Has anyone used A History of US with Biblioplan? Pros? Cons?

Let's see... who else schedules A History of US?

• Sonlight Core 100
  • Hewitt
  • Paula's Archives schedules it with SotW... I like that

Who else schedules this? I would LOVE a plan... something open and go that even includes maps/TL.

I think MapTrek looks great, btw!

Again, thank you all for all of this help!

Has anyone used A History of US with Biblioplan? Pros? Cons?

Let's see... who else schedules A History of US?

• Sonlight Core 100

• Hewitt

• Paula's Archives schedules it with SotW... I like that

Who else schedules this? I would LOVE a plan... something open and go that even includes maps/TL.

I think MapTrek looks great, btw!

Again, thank you all for all of this help!

It's one of the main books for TOG. Colonization through the Constitution are the second part of year 2. (This is for the first edition print version that I have. But I think it's still used in the digital edition.)

Hewitt is just a list of projects for each book and some really HARD tests. Even my dh could not pass them after reading each book. If you go this route, let the child have open book tests.

K12 uses the series for their 5th-8th grade studies. Think LOTS of worksheets. The thing to remember with K12 is all their middle school level courses are on the same level so Public Cyber Schools can choose what to use with which year to meet their State requirements.

All American History is dry and dull. Read, fill in the worksheet, maybe a map, move on. UGG! My son lasted through 4 lessons before we killed it. It reminded me of TRISMS a bit.

MapTrek is awesome! I have not used it but I have so drooled.

Your best bet for timeline is probably to read the corresponding Kingfisher pages and pull dates from it, I think. I know Hakim gives dates as well. We use moveable index cards on our wall with little handrawn pics. It is a huge hit here.

Thanks...

I'm really not up to using TOG!:D Although, when I look at how it is organized, I want to love it... oh well. I desire open-and-go for the most part.

I don't desire for ds to get bogged down in testing. I really want him to drink up this American history year... to enjoy it... to explore the things he finds interesting.

I want this to be a writing year. We have been using WWS this year, and I have plans to continue this next year, yet, I also want him to write some in history.

What I'm describing sounds a lot like WTM history. (I know this isn't open-and-go...) I've never done history this way, but it sure does seem to open itself to interest-driven study. As long as I can find a text that ds will enjoy, maybe I can still plan lessons sort of like WTM.

I have just about messed up...Ds really loved the student workbook that Notgrass uses. He wants to fill in some blanks and do some cross-word puzzles... things like that. Is there anything like this for A Story of US or something he can use like a student book that could work with A Story of US?

Has anyone used Biblioplan Year 3??? The Cool History and maps could work in place of a student book, I think.

Please continue to list companies who schedule A History of US.

:bigear:

Thanks...

I'm really not up to using TOG!:D Although, when I look at how it is organized, I want to love it... oh well. I desire open-and-go for the most part.

I don't desire for ds to get bogged down in testing. I really want him to drink up this American history year... to enjoy it... to explore the things he finds interesting.

I want this to be a writing year. We have been using WWS this year, and I have plans to continue this next year, yet, I also want him to write some in history.

What I'm describing sounds a lot like WTM history. (I know this isn't open-and-go...) I've never done history this way, but it sure does seem to open itself to interest-driven study. As long as I can find a text that ds will enjoy, maybe I can still plan lessons sort of like WTM.

I have just about messed up...Ds really loved the student workbook that Notgrass uses. He wants to fill in some blanks and do some cross-word puzzles... things like that. Is there anything like this for A Story of US or something he can use like a student book that could work with A Story of US?

Has anyone used Biblioplan Year 3??? The Cool History and maps could work in place of a student book, I think.

Please continue to list companies who schedule A History of US.

:bigear:

All American History has the fill in the blank kind of questions - no crosswords that I remember. I have it and can look at it you'd like. They do fill out president cards and I think state cards, but not sure on that one.

I remember seeing some type of workbook or questions for History of US on Amazon.

I have Biblioplan 3 but have never used it. I have all the extras and can look up information for you if you'd like, just let me know. It does look well put together and I may consider it later.

All American History has the fill in the blank kind of questions - no crosswords that I remember. I have it and can look at it you'd like. They do fill out president cards and I think state cards, but not sure on that one.

I remember seeing some type of workbook or questions for History of US on Amazon.

I have Biblioplan 3 but have never used it. I have all the extras and can look up information for you if you'd like, just let me know. It does look well put together and I may consider it later.

Thank you, Cynthia!

I started out this search really thinking that AAH or AtB would be the programs I would be choosing between.

After hearing from the posters today, it sounds like I need to take another look at A History of US. I'm even thinking what it would be like to compare it with the BJU 8th grade text. (A previous poster mentioned A Patriot's History which really sounds great... just concerned about the caliber of that book. I'll continue to investigate it.)

I am still interested in a student book for A History of US if anyone can provide a link for that... if it exists. I am interested in Biblioplan too, but at this point, I can't think of what to ask. I'll certainly be researching more on that as well.

Thanks, everyone!:001_smile:

Another vote for History of US here. The reading is very engaging. My ds, usually lukewarm about history reading, enjoys these very much.

There are teacher resource books with discussion questions, some student reproducibles, assessment questions, suggested mapping activities, etc.

Sample of 1: http://www.amazon.com/Teachers-Guide-Liberty-Hofus-History/dp/019518890X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1322717570&sr=8-7

There are also student guides. These are assignments for the student to do independently:

http://www.amazon.com/Gde-Bk-New-Nation-2005/dp/0195223195/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322717747&sr=1-12#_

We used All American History as a spine, then plugged in Teaching Company lectures, documentaries, Boorstin's American History book and TOG and SL readers where appropriate (Dragon Academy's Movie list). The AAH is really easy to outline, while the student guide provided me with the maps (we used the questions as oral quizzes). I used Hakim as sort of a 'book basket' for my history loving son (dd just wanted to check the box!)

After we were done, we watched A History of Us as a finale (and review).

The text is a bit boring, but since we had the other resources to flesh it out the kids didn't really notice. It was a great intro to textbooks for my youngest. We talked a lot about headings, margin notes, etc. It was also very organized and 'clean', which my distraction-prone aspie appreciated.

What I liked about my plan was that on tough weeks we could just do AAH and still keep to the time schedule. On more boring weeks (there are many weeks of explorers!) we could add in the other fun stuff. I loved having the spine be open and go. All in all, it was a great history year!

Another vote for History of US here. The reading is very engaging. My ds, usually lukewarm about history reading, enjoys these very much.

There are teacher resource books with discussion questions, some student reproducibles, assessment questions, suggested mapping activities, etc.

Sample of 1: http://www.amazon.com/Teachers-Guide-Liberty-Hofus-History/dp/019518890X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1322717570&sr=8-7

There are also student guides. These are assignments for the student to do independently:

http://www.amazon.com/Gde-Bk-New-Nation-2005/dp/0195223195/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322717747&sr=1-12#_

Thanks so much for these links.

Does anyone have personal experience with these teacher resources and student guides? I would like to know if they were helpful.

As always, thanks to all who are helping me with this!

We are really loving America the Beautiful. It is just right - not too much, not too little. This is for 7th and 3rd. 7th does more. I like it a lot too - it's not super exciting, but they love the workbook stuff - the maps and review book.

Thank you 3byzaz. Did you consider Hakim's History of US? Just curious what made you choose AtB?

We did A History of US as part of SL Core 100 for ds (7th grade at the time) and substituted it in as the spine for core 3+4 for dd (5th grade at the time). It was probably our best year of history ever. Core 100 does a great job of scheduling readers to go along with it and the 3+4 readers lined up perfectly too!

It was so much fun. I did the read alouds from 3+4 and both kids sat in, we read History of US aloud, then they each had their own readers. Then they shared favorites - "Here you'll love this one." "Was that good, I want to read it too!"

No, did not consider Hakim, but I looked at it again. I have used a couple here and there over the years and don't care for that style of book. Just a personal preference...I feel like they are DK or Usborne style with too much info on the page...strange, I know. Just drives me a little batty and my boys too. And, honestly it would have been too much for them. These are my boys that just want the facts, ma'am, and no more. It's a bummer, but I have accepted it. I like the AtB style. I have also learned that simple format gets done much better here.

I have used a couple here and there over the years and don't care for that style of book. Just a personal preference...I feel like they are DK or Usborne style with too much info on the page...strange, I know. Just drives me a little batty and my boys too.

The books are definitely full of boxes and insets, similar to DK. However, I would like to point out that the text itself is in no way similar in style to DK/Usborne. Rather, it is a flowing narrative. For those who dislike the insets or find them distracting, I highly recommend the audio version of the book. The narrator is excellent and our whole family enjoys these.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy

Hakim still has the lead in the poll, so I am going to try to see a friend's copy since I've never really looked at it. I must admit, however, there is such a huge opinion split over this book that I am trying to put a second choice together. What do you all think about this...?

Use Notgrass America the Beautiful over 2 years.

In each grade (7th/8th), alternate weeks using Book 1 for week 1 in 7th grade (Book 2 in 8th) and for the next week, keep a notebook much like the WTM notebook as well as spending that week writing about a topic of interest studied that week.

A simple schedule for the WTM week:

Monday: make a list of facts (from Notgrass?)/ choose a topic to study/ Do additional reading.

Tuesday: Prepare a summary on the topic chosen on Monday.

Wednesday: Correct and type the summary.

Thursday: Practice outlining..... not sure what to use for this.

Friday: Watch History Channel's DVD America: The Story of US

I would like to schedule time to read and choose some interesting books.

Doing history this way, I'm thinking we could get a Christian view from Notgrass and a more secular view from the WTM study using history encyclopedias. Hopefully I could choose some books that would flesh out the study.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

I think BJU 8th grade The American Republic would be fine for a motivated 7th grader. I used BJU 10th World History with my DD in 8th grade. Some of the more rhetorical-level Activity Sheets were a stretch for her, but we completed them together as needed. I have The American Republic on my radar for my younger DD. We appreciate the conservative, Christian viewpoint of BJU and the open & go method works best for us.

I used All American History with my older DD in 7th grade and neither of us liked it. It's very dry and we didn't want to spend two years on American History. We ditched it half way through the year.

The Notgrass text looks gentle and enjoyable for middle school.

I think it kind of depends on what else your child is studying.... if other classes (ie: science and math) will be very demanding, then a more gentle approach like the Notgrass text might be a relief. If your child is a history buff and you focus a lot on history, you might appreciate the more demanding BJU text.

I think BJU 8th grade The American Republic would be fine for a motivated 7th grader. I used BJU 10th World History with my DD in 8th grade. Some of the more rhetorical-level Activity Sheets were a stretch for her, but we completed them together as needed. I have The American Republic on my radar for my younger DD. We appreciate the conservative, Christian viewpoint of BJU and the open & go method works best for us.

I used All American History with my older DD in 7th grade and neither of us liked it. It's very dry and we didn't want to spend two years on American History. We ditched it half way through the year.

The Notgrass text looks gentle and enjoyable for middle school.

I think it kind of depends on what else your child is studying.... if other classes (ie: science and math) will be very demanding, then a more gentle approach like the Notgrass text might be a relief. If your child is a history buff and you focus a lot on history, you might appreciate the more demanding BJU text.

Thank you for this information! We used BJU 7th Life Science last year and enjoyed BJU a lot. We've never used anything else from them though. I've heard that their history program is very good, and ds liked the look of the sample pages.... there just were not a lot of them.

Could you describe BJU history... schedule, assignments, etc... Did you use the teacher text or did you all just read the student text and discuss??? What details could you tell me about that would help me understand what we would be getting into?

Thanks so much!

Thank you for this information! We used BJU 7th Life Science last year and enjoyed BJU a lot. We've never used anything else from them though. I've heard that their history program is very good, and ds liked the look of the sample pages.... there just were not a lot of them.

Could you describe BJU history... schedule, assignments, etc... Did you use the teacher text or did you all just read the student text and discuss??? What details could you tell me about that would help me understand what we would be getting into?

Thanks so much!

That's the same reason we tried BJU History - we liked their Life Science text so much.

The BJU World History includes original source documents in the Activity Pages - DD read a selection from the Communist Manifesto, Bush's speech after 9-11 (which brought tears to my eyes when we read it together), Darwin, Cyrus the Great (his cylinder), Machiavelli, John Cabot, Francis Bacon, Benjamin Franklin, and other historical documents. The Activity Sheets also include timelines, maps, short answer questions and cause & effect charts (DD needed help with these). All of the activities required thinking and did not spoon feed information.

You can see a sample of the entire first chapter of The American Republic on BJU's website.

You can see samples of the Student Activities on CBD's website. From the TOC for the Student Activities, it looks like the original source documents include writings from: John Smith, William Bradford (Of Plymouth Plantation), George Washington, Abigail Adams, Lewis & Clark, etc.... You get the idea.... you can see them in the sample.

Hope this helps,

Ann

ETA: I had the Teacher Editions, but rarely needed them. I bought the course as a bundle from Rock Solid so I got the student texts, TE and tests all together.

For scheduling, we just completed 1 chapter per week. Each chapter has about 3 "sections" with review questions at the end of the section. DD spent 3 days reading each section and working on the related Activity Sheet. The 4th day she would do the chapter review and finish the Activity Sheets. The 5th day she'd take the test. Very open & go and easy to implement.

Edited by amtmcm

That's the same reason we tried BJU History - we liked their Life Science text so much.

The BJU World History includes original source documents in the Activity Pages - DD read a selection from the Communist Manifesto, Bush's speech after 9-11 (which brought tears to my eyes when we read it together), Darwin, Cyrus the Great (his cylinder), Machiavelli, John Cabot, Francis Bacon, Benjamin Franklin, and other historical documents. The Activity Sheets also include timelines, maps, short answer questions and cause & effect charts (DD needed help with these). All of the activities required thinking and did not spoon feed information.

You can see a sample of the entire first chapter of The American Republic on BJU's website.

You can see samples of the Student Activities on CBD's website. From the TOC for the Student Activities, it looks like the original source documents include writings from: John Smith, William Bradford (Of Plymouth Plantation), George Washington, Abigail Adams, Lewis & Clark, etc.... You get the idea.... you can see them in the sample.

Hope this helps,

Ann

ETA: I had the Teacher Editions, but rarely needed them. I bought the course as a bundle from Rock Solid so I got the student texts, TE and tests all together.

For scheduling, we just completed 1 chapter per week. Each chapter has about 3 "sections" with review questions at the end of the section. DD spent 3 days reading each section and working on the related Activity Sheet. The 4th day she would do the chapter review and finish the Activity Sheets. The 5th day she'd take the test. Very open & go and easy to implement.

Thank you so much, Ann. I am thankful to have this information.

• 1 month later...

as stated in my monolouge posted elsewhere.

I have been impressed with the non-calvert books Calvert uses.

Houghton-Miflin Message of Ancient Days

This isn't American History, but H-M may have good text for that as well.

IF you want a text book, you may seriously check out thrift stores and Goodwill and Salvation Army.

You may be able to find a jewel for just a few dollars.

Also, our public library has a homework help shelf with all the books used by our school system. If yours does the same, you could put your hands on some textbooks and get ISBNs and look on Ebay .

happy hunting.

~c.

Thanks so much for these links.

Does anyone have personal experience with these teacher resources and student guides? I would like to know if they were helpful.

As always, thanks to all who are helping me with this!

Haven't used the student guides though I have them on my list to use with my two youngest.

I used the TG with my older kids and felt they were extremely well put together though they are written with a classroom in mind.

Each guide starts with an historical overview for the teacher. Each chapter has a page that gives a summary of the chapter (in one or two sentences), vocabulary words, a connection between the history and a current event, discussion questions (1-3 questions), and a writing assignment to check understanding of the chapter. The sidebars on these pages have suggstions for mapwork, ways to tie history study into other subjects (science, art, ect), analyzing nonfiction and fiction, suggestions to tie in primary sources (from the last volume of the set), and suggestions for visual, audio, hands-on learners.

After every 5-6 chapters is a team learning activity. These have activites like analyzing political cartoons and then creating your own political cartoon or discussing how media portrays events, eyewitnesses, and how propaganda affects our lives today and how we perceive media.

Next comes an assessment section. Each section has a short quiz (in the appendix of the book) as well as several other alternative assessments such as essay questions, debates, writing assignments(several to choose from), and other activities. The quizzes are in depth and ask for real thinking vs fill in the facts kind of tests.

Also in the appendix are resource pages. These are worksheets that correlate with activities suggested in the assessment section. Included in the TG for Making Thirteen Colonies is elevation map of the Eastern US, John Smith primary source question sheet, Fact Sheet for the 13 English Colonies, Historical Map of West African Kingdoms, worksheet about Ben Franklin's Contributions,Colonial Fur Trade Graph and Questions, Carolinas contributions, Mapping Colonial America, and quiz on facts about thirteen colonies.

The guides are well put together, but are A LOT! There is no way to complete everything in them in one, two, or even three years. If you are a box checker, that fact might kill you! That is why we will be using the student guides vs the teaching guides this time around--though I will be using the quizzes from the tg because I already have them!