Menu

What activities do you allow during lunch time?

I have 1 hour and 15 minutes scheduled for my kids lunch time. In the past I have been pretty strict about what they could and could not do during lunch. I do allow TV but I have not allowed the computer. It seemed to me that when I gave the computer as an option it was hard for them to get off and actually eat their lunch.

So, how long is your lunch break and what, if any activities (TV, computer, outside, playing) do you allow?

We're more routine-oriented than schedule-oriented, so depending on the day (and the needs of the day) our lunch will range from a scarf-it-down-15-minutes to a leisurely hour-and-a-half.

Anything is allowed.

TV is technically allowed, but they rarely ask for it. They go weeks without turning on the tv.

The computer is allowed, but they usually don't like using it at lunch because they don't want to get involved in something then have to leave it to finish up school. We have a lot of people living in our house, so programs get closed accidentally, projects get lost, etc. They'd rather just wait until they have a chunk of time to devote to whatever they're going to do online.

95% of our days, the kids will read or play a board game during lunch ... get a few chores out of the way ... then go outside for a bit.

Our lunch is usually 45 to 90 minutes long. It depends on whether DH comes home for lunch and whether the littlest ones are ready for nap\quiet time after eating.

Occasionally, I ask the older kids to entertain the younger ones while I make the food. After lunch, I usually send them outside. Sometimes they chose to play together upstairs or do their own thing (read, draw, Lego, Beyblades, imaginary play).

I don't let them play computer or Wii at this time. It takes too long to set up and get started. Then they get frustrated when it's time to quit. We will occasionally watch a show while we eat. Typically, something along the lines of Mythbusters and only when I REALLY need a break from talking for a few minutes.

Edited by slpchris
Typo

Mine are so little, lunch is NOT a lingering affair ;).

We eat at the kitchen table, ideally they listen to the day's poems or Bible story; sometimes I just try to keep the baby's food going IN and Button reads to himself or subtly undermines my parenting by trying to get baby's food to go OUT; on a bad day I shut myself in the pantry with the chocolate and tea until somebody hollers :D.

At lunchtime break, they can do anything they wish: watch TV, play on the internet, play on their tablet, play outside, play with their toys.

90% of the time, they play outside or play with their toys. When lunch is ready, I call out, "Lunch is ready!" and they come to the table. We eat. They go back to playing. If there's more schoolwork to be done, we do it after a bit. If we're heading out to activities or run errands, we do so. I call out, "Get your shoes on. We have to go." They gather. We go. (When they were younger, I would call out 5 min warnings, but now that they can tell time, I don't.)

At breakfast each day, we have a quick family meeting to discuss what we need to do, including any departure times, and what we want to do. Everyone contributes. Our kids are our "Cruise Directors." :D They make sure we plan enough fun along with all the obligations we have on our schedule. I think for my children, knowing what's coming, including what I'm making for meals, seems to help them pace their day. And as the kids know the schedule, they can portion out their entertainment (that doesn't include my dh and me), so they are never in a rush for screen time, as they know when they can fit it in.

Our lunch break lasted an hour. We did Lunch & Lit and Breakfast & Bible. The kids preferred that because school was over sooner. In the early elementary years, the kids did not have literature class during lunch, and had play time for 30 minutes after lunch. They had to be active and use up energy.

When my boys were elementary age we scheduled an hour lunch. After they ate it was quiet time. They were to rest and read books or magazines of their choice. Now that I have shed the rigid schedules, we have about an 1 1/2 hour lunch where they can do as they please. However if I see dd starting something I know will not be finished before school starts again I discourage her in doing it so she would not be frustrated when I call her back to the table. TV is not allowed on during the school day though.

Our lunch break is around an hour.

They can do anything, except the computer, as long as they are quiet. If they get loud, I reserve the right to send them to their beds for quiet time. We don't have time to build a separate quiet time into our day, so I've combined lunch and quiet time.

We take a two hour lunch break. The first hour we walk the dog in the woods, then we have a nice lunch. My kids are older now, (13 and 16) and this is one routine no one wants to change.

That sounds nice.

My kids are little, so lunch is framed in a different way in my mind. School doesn't take as long. We have free time, and lunch time, and I think of them separately.

Lunch time: when they have cleaned up their plates and any spills, they both often play Legos at the table. I often do read Alouds at mealtime (sometimes I only eat when they ask a question ;)). They can pick any quiet activity at the table while I read. I have a shelf nearby with available options: Legos, play doh, puzzles, basic drawing supplies, and some laminated wipe-off handwriting sheets. Sometimes I add new things, but Legos are hot right now.

Free time: computers and tv time during the week are only when I initiate ((and always educational). Other than that, free time is just that--free time.

We usually watch something. This is one of the reasons we have the computer in the kitchen. sYesterday a program me about victorian bankers, before that 'how to build a satellite'. Recently DD1 has been wanting to get back to work after only half an hour, so I ned to try to find shorter programmes. We cover a huge amount of science & history this way.