Menu

May I Scream?

We have cheap ceramic dishes from Walmart. We have 8 dinner plates, 7 salad plates, and 4 bowls for our family of 6. If we have anyone over for dinner, we have to buy paper plates and plastic silverware.

Today my four year old dropped one of the salad plates.

Not long after, my nine year old dropped three of the bowls. He was getting something out of the cabinet, knocked the shelf causing the little pin that holds the shelf in place to fall out, so the whole stack of bowls when sliding out onto the tile floor.

With only one bowl, I really had no choice but to go buy dishes. I opted to buy two boxes of Corelle. They were cheap and break resistant. Four of the plates had defects in the pattern (color scratched off in places), but I didn't have time to go back before we needed to use them so I resigned myself to just live with it.

A few minutes ago my four year old dropped one of the brand new mugs. He says he slipped on his socks.

5 dishes broken in one day!

5!

Edited by joannqn

I know this is really silly and stupid but I'm really crying over a stupid cheap cup.

I've been putting up with ugly dishes because we couldn't afford nicer. I've been putting up with having fewer pieces than we need because we couldn't afford to replace what we had. I've been wanting a new set of dishes that I liked. I dream of having enough matching dishes that I actually like. But today's bowl smashing necessitated that I give up on dishes I wanted and go buy cheap ones at Walmart that would be good enough. I was actually ok with that; at least I'd have 8 of everything again, and could look forward to buying another 2-3 sets.

Having one of the brand new dishes smashed within hours of buying them just put me over the edge.

I hate being poor. We have everything we need. But sometimes I just want more than 2-3 outfits to wear, matching furniture, nice shelves (rather than ugly Ikea garage shelving), matching plates, enough silverware, a real vacation, etc.

I know this is really silly and stupid but I'm really crying over a stupid cheap cup.

I've been putting up with ugly dishes because we couldn't afford nicer. I've been putting up with having fewer pieces than we need because we couldn't afford to replace what we had. I've been wanting a new set of dishes that I liked. I dream of having enough matching dishes that I actually like. But today's bowl smashing necessitated that I give up on dishes I wanted and go buy cheap ones at Walmart that would be good enough. I was actually ok with that; at least I'd have 8 of everything again, and could look forward to buying another 2-3 sets.

Having one of the brand new dishes smashed within hours of buying them just put me over the edge.

I hate being poor. We have everything we need. But sometimes I just want more than 2-3 outfits to wear, matching furniture, nice shelves (rather than ugly Ikea garage shelving), matching plates, enough silverware, a real vacation, etc.

You've had enough. :grouphug: :grouphug:

Seriously, are you getting enough sunlight, I know you've mentioned that issue with your new house.

I get what you are saying. Have you tried some thrift stores to see if they have sets?

You have a beautiful family. Years from now your kids will talk (and hopefully laugh) about the day they broke all the dishes. Maybe over a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner when you have grandkids that love to come visit and snuggle with you. You'll have a beautiful set of dishes to serve dinner with. You will have a beautiful light-filled dining room. That dinner will be more precious because you will remember the lean years. :grouphug:

Seriously, are you getting enough sunlight, I know you've mentioned that issue with your new house.

I get what you are saying. Have you tried some thrift stores to see if they have sets?

No, definitely not enough. I really dislike going outside and being cold and wet. Plus, I've been trying to finish unpacking. I did the bulk of it but I'm at that point of being done. Done unpacking, done with the mess, can we just throw the rest of it away? And I have to get the kids back on track with school. We are accountable to a public school/virtual school, and they've been taking every little excuse as an opportunity to be done or take a really long break. I've been getting about an hour a day out of them. The school expects 4-5 hours per day. It's just been busy. And we're getting over colds. It's not been a good several weeks.

The pattern is current. I can only find one place online that has open stock; they want $4.99 for the cup and $8.99 for shipping. It looks like I'll have to deal with being short. I know it is silly, but when you buy something new, even something that isn't what you wanted, you want it to stay new for more than a couple of hours.

I wish I had an extra set of dishes to give you. I wonder if my MIL still has the set she tried to give me a few months ago. It was a pretty robin's egg blue stoneware set. I just didn't want a 2nd set of dishes in my house. I will check if you would like.

No, thank you. I really just want 16-20 matching pieces. I can wait for the rest. I really hope I can just buy a box here and there before they are discontinued.

That's one of those where you scream, then you just laugh. Or at least I would. I mean, the odds! Maybe you need to all switch to melamine!

Melamine is nasty, toxic stuff. You can't microwave it, for sure, because it leeches the poison out. I couldn't make myself buy it.

The Corelle was a stretch because it does have lead in it, but at least it's below the US acceptable level.

:grouphug: My heart went out to you when I read both your posts. Been there done that.

As a worning, Correll will break on tile floor if it is the stone/ceramic type and when the dishes break they almost explode in tiny pointed pieces.

As far as the clothes, matching furniture, nice shelves, etc. I have at times been there also. I have had all of those things. When we adopted our two youngest many things took place and finances changed greatly. My furniture is a huge mix match, my shelves are cheap pine boards screwed together and I truly do not remember the last time we went somewhere that wasn't attached to some kind of emergency, medical/death in the family/etc. In my opinion they are way over rated. I take the beautiful children God placed in our care any time.

Take joy in what you do have and most off in your family. They are the greatest gifts, biggest treasures you can have.:grouphug:s again.

JoAnn,

I spend tons of time in thrift shops. I see lots of Corelle. What pattern do you need? I'll find you some. I've purchased a zillion sets of the small tea cups, they are so perfect for mixing paints, for my daughter at college. I'm good, good, good at being thrifty. When my attitude is positive, I feel the thrill of victory at fixing the old thing, one more time. I'm tired of being poor, too. Oh, gosh, there are poorer, but sometimes....well, I feel your pain. Cry it out.

But tell me what the pattern is, so I can watch for it. Do not purchase full price replacements.

Wish I could hug you.

Plates on a roll: paper towels.

I'm sorry you're feeling down. Disregard my last post, then. I responded after reading only your first -- and it *has* happened to me many times.

We're not poor BUT I don't have more than a few nice outfits to wear either. I don't have matching furntiure. I have ugly Ikea stuff too. I don't have matching plates (see above where my children --okay sometimes me and hubby too -- break everything). We only have 6 bowls (for 6 people and then don't match) so we often use coffee mugs or tea cups (they also don't match) instead of bowls. If you promise not to tell anyone, I'll also admit to using my smaller glass-snapware as cereal bowls in a pinch. I only have enough silverwear b/c I have handmedown leftovers of about 5 or 6 different flatware sets (not silver). We don't have real vacations either. I hope this makes you feel better. I bet many, many people live this reality. You're part of a crowd, really.

I know how you feel. Hang in there. I recently gave up on nice dishes. Dh is back to work. I could probably afford to buy some nice stuff. But, I went to Mason jar glasses (I kid you not! 12 for less than $7) and all but 2 of my little plates had been broken, so I went to the thrift store and picked out my favorite single plates for 10 cents a piece. No nothing matches and it looks like I did it that way because my kitchen in vintage country. :)

Of course, the real difference is that I had a choice to do this and you, Joann, don't. We were in your place not long ago and for far too long. Hang in there. It gets better.

Oh, ugh. I'm with you -- why can't people just NOT break stuff???? People!!! This is why we get most of our dishes at thrift stores -- but I'm like you; I've started longing for a nicer, more upscale dish set for sometime use. As it is, we use Corelle too and I don't anticipate changing for the next, oh, 15-20 years.

By the way, I would have NO problem taking a defective dish set back. It's not your fault it was defective and that you needed to use it anyway. They won't try to resell it if it's defective, so pack it up and take it back if you feel the same way. If you do buy more Corelle, get all-white. From what I understand (FAQ), it doesn't have lead (it's the decorations that have lead). I have found Corelle at thrifts.

Someone else suggested this too, but I often see entire sets of quite nice-looking dishes at second-hand stores and flea markets. Often they are the old-fashioned, every-day china type -- just the kind I really like, actually. Very lovely!

Once one of my daughters was setting the table and carrying 7 plates at once (of our lovely thrift-store set :)), and dropped the whole pile on the way to the table. Every last plate was broken.

If you do buy more Corelle, get all-white. From what I understand (FAQ), it doesn't have lead (it's the decorations that have lead). I have found Corelle at thrifts.

We have the all-white Corelle. I bought it b/c my s-i-l recommeded it. She said they don't break easily. Weeeeelllll... I have hard tile floor in my kitchen and every time we drop one it s-h-a-t-t-e-r-s e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e! Sigh.

The bright side is that my floor gets a thorough vacuuming and mopping right after someone drops something. (That's good 'cause I don't tend to mop as often as I should!)

If you do buy more Corelle, get all-white. From what I understand (FAQ), it doesn't have lead (it's the decorations that have lead). I have found Corelle at thrifts.

I didn't buy the white because it was $45 a box instead of $25 a box.

I'm starting to feel better. I think it's just a ton of stuff just piling up on me. Moving. Unpacking. The Weather. No natural light. The clutter while I figure out where to put things. DD breaking down for lack of socializing. DS breaking down from lack of socializing, envy of DD, and wanting to be normal (vs. whatever aspie-ish, depression thing he's got going on). Nursing against my will because weaning this last one is darn near impossible. Holidays are always depressing/stressful for me. Father is unemployed again after only working for about a month. etc. Ya know. When it rains, it pours.

We have the all-white Corelle. I bought it b/c my s-i-l recommeded it. She said they don't break easily. Weeeeelllll... I have hard tile floor in my kitchen and every time we drop one it s-h-a-t-t-e-r-s e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e! Sigh.

The bright side is that my floor gets a thorough vacuuming and mopping right after someone drops something. (That's good 'cause I don't tend to mop as often as I should!)

True about the shattering! We have tile floors, too. They don't always break when dropped, in fact seem to hold up decently well, but sometimes I think they hit in just a certain way or something and then ... shards o'plenty.

I don't drink much and certainly not wine.

But I did just go through half a package of Oreos and a glass of milk.

It's the sitting and sipping part that is calming, I think. Does not matter much what you sip as long as you like it! At this time of year I prefer tea to wine as well. :001_smile:

:grouphug: It's certainly not strange to cry about a broken cup when it's the icing on the cake of yucky stuff that gets piled up.

And even though it seems like a weird thing to want, I do understand about the dishes. My whole adult life, I had hand-me-down dishes from my grandpa, aunts, etc. None of them matched. When I married dh, his mom gave us a box of her friend's old china, which is really pretty, but none of the pieces have the same number, like I have 12 plates, but 10 bowls, 11 saucers but 9 teacups. And for everyday dishes, dh had random stuff his mom and sister found at house sales.

So, when we finally moved into this house six years ago, I bought 3 sets of 4 place settings of matching everyday dishes at Target. I was unreasonably excited about it. After about 3 days, one of the plates was already broken. And I think the bowls are the easiest thing to go. I'm down to 6 from the original 12.

Someday, you will have beautiful matching dishes and grown children who can come to dinner and eat off the beautiful dishes. Just get paper plates for the grandchildren. :tongue_smilie:

Oh, ugh. I'm with you -- why can't people just NOT break stuff???? People!!! This is why we get most of our dishes at thrift stores -- but I'm like you; I've started longing for a nicer, more upscale dish set for sometime use. As it is, we use Corelle too and I don't anticipate changing for the next, oh, 15-20 years.

By the way, I would have NO problem taking a defective dish set back. It's not your fault it was defective and that you needed to use it anyway. They won't try to resell it if it's defective, so pack it up and take it back if you feel the same way. If you do buy more Corelle, get all-white. From what I understand (FAQ), it doesn't have lead (it's the decorations that have lead). I have found Corelle at thrifts.

Milovaný I may be wrong, but I think the link is referring only to their stoneware products - not the usual glass ones. I've noticed that in recent years, even the glass sets use stoneware cups. They also tend to break easier. :glare: I miss the old style with glass teacups.

Joann, when you're able, buy another set and put it aside to replace any that break. At the time that Corelle came out with the claim of being fairly indestructible, most people had linoleum in their kitchens. Tile floors change everything! Another thought is to use the Corelle for dinner only and then look for some plastic plates for use during the day. You may be able to find some that are intended for use poolside at heavily discounted prices this time of year. The thrift shop suggestion is a great one. I see so many pretty sets whenever I go. :)

Five dishes in one day would put me over the top too!!!

Tupperware probably isn't WTM enough.

:lol:

A friend of ours recently switched to all Corelle. She said she'd had enough when she'd saved up for fancy dishes and the kids had them broken and chipped in the first week. The Corelle has held up better.

Just wanted to add my :grouphug: for you, Joann.