Menu

GF birthday cakes

My twins have birthdays this week. 14yo. I can't believe my babies are going to be 14! They actually were born on either side of midnight, so we typically have two birthday dinners.

One is GF The other eats flour, but I would love to have a GF dessert for him too, since it does seem sad for the other child.

So I need two GF desserts that seem somewhat birthday oriented. Neither is totally attached to the idea of cake, though that would be nice. I am NOT going to attach the learning curve that is associated with learning to bake GF. I am sure I can attack it someday, but everything I have tried (GF bread, pizza crust, bisquits) has been frankly terrible. So I don't want to make a terrible cake with rice flour that was never meant to be made with rice flour, you know?

My ideas so far - ice cream cake made entirely of ice cream with no actual cake.

Pavlova

Flourless chocolate cake (though my Mom did one of those at TG)

Other ideas, please?

Edited to add that while I say "GF" I am not at all sure he needs to be totally free of all gluten. We have determined through trial and error that he is sensitive to wheat flour, so he doesn't eat it. I think he does end up eating some glutens here and there, though. He is strict about the flour but not about other hidden sources. So, for example, we don't really check to make sure his ketchup is GF.

There are cake mixes that are GF, and they work just like regular box cakes. I use those in a pinch. Ice cream is birthday food, so maybe just ice cream with his favorite toppings? We have done a huge ice cream bar with chocolate chips, candy pieces, hot fudge, and so on for bithday's before, and the kids loved it.

Betty Crocker makes a couple of GF cake mixes..and they taste pretty much like regular cake. My dh was thrilled when I made one for our anniversary. At $4 plus per layer, not so cheap...but it's the easiest way to have a nice GF cake. (You can make good GF cake, but you'd need to mix several flours to do it. At this point, the Betty is probably your very good friend.)

http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/gluten-free-baking-mixes

Edited by Sandy in Indy
Edited to add link

We celebrated a GF birthday recently. The special dessert my mom came up with: banana splits! Everyone got to design their own, choosing from: multiple flavors of ice cream, chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, sprinkles, whipped cream, M&Ms, cherries, etc. It was a big hit with everyone.

Oh, that sounds very yummy!

We celebrated a GF birthday recently. The special dessert my mom came up with: banana splits! Everyone got to design their own, choosing from: multiple flavors of ice cream, chocolate syrup, caramel sauce, sprinkles, whipped cream, M&Ms, cherries, etc. It was a big hit with everyone.

I've been using Bob's Red Mill GF Baking Flour. I am just substituting it in place of flour in the recipes I already use. So far our chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, and the large batch of gingerbread men we made the weekend have been great! Don't forget to add the necessary xanthan gum to the recipe. Info on the back of the package.

I've been using Bob's Red Mill GF Baking Flour. I am just substituting it in place of flour in the recipes I already use. So far our chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, and the large batch of gingerbread men we made the weekend have been great! Don't forget to add the necessary xanthan gum to the recipe. Info on the back of the package.

:iagree:

Black Bean Brownies. They sound dreadful, but they are so delicious, and they're made with ingredients you probably already have in your pantry. They taste like fudgy brownies. No one ever guesses they're gluten free and made with black beans. This recipe is so easy that my 11yo can make them by herself. Don't skip the chocolate chips sprinkled on top. Edited by Luann in ID

Our favorites for g/f birthday cakes (depending on how much time and money we want to spend) are:

The decadent chocolate cake mix from Gluten free pantry

Flourless chocolate cake from Trader Joes (our easiest standby)

Carrot cake recipe from The Gluten Free Almond Flour cookbook (yummm!)

Local g/f bakery cake...I didn't even know there was one in town until my dd and dh surprised me with a cake this year. They bake and deliver to our local Whole Foods store. Delicious, but I probably wouldn't have spent the money myself!