Menu

Does anyone know anything about Volkswagen cars?

Good quality.

Long lasting.

Solidly built.

Simple features.

Not soft and squishy...firmer in comfort and handling.

Good for driving in the snow (even in dh's small Golf).

Not cheap to fix, but need few repairs.

Diesels get very good MPH.

Good quality.

Long lasting.

Solidly built.

Simple features.

:iagree:

Not so cheap to fix, BUT there are many people who can work on VWs who are not affiliated with a dealer, so it can be a little bit cheaper. Of course, it is not always the labor that is $$, the parts can be $$$. Even on a non-diesel the gas milage isnt too bad - I get @33-35mpg overall.

I had a vw jetta make it to nearly 300,000 before I let someone unqualified change the oil and my engine seized :( I have one now that has needed only minor repairs that are entirely my fault because I drive a car HARD.

Best thing about a VW is its peppiness. They have a higher torque and feel so much faster - it makes driving fun!:D

Good quality.

Long lasting.

Solidly built.

Simple features.

I'm going to pretty much agree with Tap. We live in Florida, so driving in snow isn't an issue. However, I just traded in a VW Golf, and my impressions were very similar.

I liked the car in a lot of ways. It was a good, solid, comfortable small car. I had it less than a year, but I put a lot of miles on it in that time, and it never gave me the tiniest bit of trouble.

I bought it new, a 2011 model, and the two primary reasons I opted to trade it in were that:

1. I regretted not sticking to my guns and buying a manual transmission. I got talked into the Golf because the Tiptronic transmission is supposed to give you the advantages of a manual without the clutch, but I just didn't like it. I'm sure most people wouldn't have that problem. I don't know anyone but myself who so strongly prefers a manual. But, for me, I just couldn't get used to driving the automatic.

2. The car just had no personality. I drove a MINI before the Golf, and I mourned the oomph and fun I lost when I went to the VW. I drove VWs when I was younger, both a Beetle (1967) and a Westfalia van (1975). So, I hoped I could get as attached to the Golf, but it just didn't work for me. I also hoped that, once I bought it, I would be able to find accesories and additions that would jazz it up a little, but that turned out to be tougher than anticipated. For example, I talked to the service department about upgrading to the stereo that is used in the next model up that would have allowed me to integrate my iPod more smoothly, and I was told it wasn't possible. My only option would have been to get a non-VW after-market stereo, which wasn't what I wanted.

It was a very nice little car. It was just blah.

Jenny brings up a good point - all of my cars have been manual transmission and that probably affects my impression of a car's overall driving experience.

Also, all of my cars have been olderish, so I don't mind the aftermarket stuff I have to buy in order to personalize it.

Maybe I should go back and delete my opinion? Nah:tongue_smilie:

I love them. I have a Passat wagon (actually we sent it with ds to college but I miss it) and my dh only complains about it. We live in a smallish town and it is difficult to get them repaired and it is usually expensive. Since we've done just about everything that needs to be done on ours we're keeping it. And we have a great mechanic friend who, because of our Passat, branched into the VW repair business. Our interior has not held up as well as it should have (a common complaint about the early 2000 VWs), but it is fabulous to drive.

I would love a Touareg, but I've heard that they are impossible to repair Dh just laughs at me when I mention it. I think pigs will fly before he'll get another VW.

I had a '99 Passat wagon and I loved that car. :001_wub: I also agree with Tap's list.

It was such a great car, and my first ever new car! I would still be driving it if I had been able to fit three Britax car seats across the back seat back in '06. I spent an entire afternoon when I was (hugely!) 8 months pregnant giving it the good ol' college try. For hours and hours I moved seats around but in the end, I had to trade it in for my minivan. Whenever I see "my" car on the road, I still get a lump in my throat. Incidentally, I drove that car in Germany for three years and was so happy to fit right in. I drove the same car as my German OB's wife. He thought that was a hoot. Ah, memories...

We had to replace our 1997 diesel Passat. It wasn't worth fixing, but we were still able to sell it for $1500 to a man who wanted the engine.

When we were researching a replacement, I noticed that VW had several models on the "worst used cars to own" list put out by Consumer Reports. I assume (but didn't verify) that the listed cars were the gas versions.

Our TDI got about 40mpg, my dad's gets 50, and we have friends with 4 TDIs. I would consider buying a TDI again, but not a gas VW.

We have a '99 beetle with 250k+ miles on it. Luckily, my dh has been knowledgable about VW repair since he was a teenager.

He has driven many Volkswagens, he knows how to fix them and isn't a car mechanic by trade. My brother and his brother are foreign car mechanics and have both owned a lot of different Volkswagens, including the vw bus and Eurovan.

If your dh is mechanically minded at all and can do some automotive things, have him get the owner's manual for whatever model of car you buy.

If you need to go camping I would recommend the bus, but they aren't the safest thing out there, really. They are cute and seem roomy, but crash test reports are not very good. Check that out online, I'm sorry I can't remember what the website is for checking that!

VW based upon our experience with Golfs and Beetles.

Pros:

- The Golf is a great small family/haul stuff car. Nice boxy hatch that will fit A LOT - esp. if you take the privacy cover off.

- Decent gas mileage (not great IMO considering it is a 4 cylinder and my 6 cylinder Maxima gets about the same).

- If you get a decent year/model, fairly reliable.

Cons:

- Quality control is not great, at least on Golfs and Beetles in our experience. The little things go - the roof trim, glove box hinges and the big things - O2 sensors, window regulators. Save ALL your receipts including rental car receipts, there may be a recall at some point and you'll want to cash in.

- Good luck working on it yourself. The engine is a knuckle buster. Even changing a light is a PITA.

- VW is notorious in splitting model years. E.g, a car manufactured in the summer of 2005 has different specs than earlier 2005 but has the same as 2006. You'll run into issues getting service outside of the dealership. Plan on it so that you're not irritated/surprised. Providing the date of manufacture helps but as we learned from our windshield replacement last week is not fail proof. Service guy called VW "his nemesis."

All and all as it has the best cargo space for a hatch we'd purchase again....until Nissan or Toyota produces something without corners to the hatch that kill the cargo space anyway.

I see they have a minivan. I don't know anything about Volkswagen, except it's German. :)

Anyone own a VW and want to share their experiences?

:bigear:

The VW van is actually a Dodge Grand Caravan with a VW nameplate on it, so the build quality, handling, (and even the build country!) are completely different from the VW cars. For this reason alone, I would not buy one new, rather I'd buy the original Dodge/Chrysler model, and not pay extra for the VW badge.

We have a VW and love it. I know that it is being tricky buying snow tires but if you don't live where it is snowy that is not a problem. It is more expensive to fix but the consensus seems to be that they don't need as many repairs. I know that I was told at the dealership that they don't sell that many of the Routan (minivan). We have a Tiguan.

I had a golf and it was great, but it was 16yrs old by the time I had it so it died during my time but I found it cheap to maintain and I managed to fix a lot of things my self very easily. I had to fix all my door wiring but it was an old car and easy to do. VW is generally well respected but if the van you are looking at is made by someone else with a VW badge then It would be hard to compare.

We have a 2010 VW Multivan and I absolutely love it! I went from a Toyota Avalon sedan to the van and it was an adjustment because it's a big car but I instantly fell in love. It's diesel, loads of kilometers to the tank. Very smooth transmission, quiet on the road. Very comfortable seating in all seats. I'd have another one in a heartbeat.

I drive a 2009 Routan. I love it. I went from a big SUV (suburban) to this minivan and at first I thought I was going to hate it. But I don't. I will admit I was worried about being a soccer mom and driving a minivan. Which is funny because I am technically a soccer mom, I am just not a soccer mom. It's a nice van, it's room for my bigger kids and it has lots of compartments which they life. It also has a decent amount of cargo space. It fits a full size cello easily which was a must for us. We went with a mid range model but we did buy certified used because I can't justify buying new. I have a moon roof, heated seats, and auto start on mine because those were features I couldn't live without.

There are a few cons to it. The gas mileage isn't that good, I do a lot of city driving and typically get about 15 mpg but when doing highway driving I get about 20 mpg. The other downside is apparently they go through brakes quickly. We had to replace the back brakes at about 40,000K miles. My husband replaced them and said they were very easy to do. We live in Northeast Ohio and get a lot of snow, it does great in the snow and I don't have snow tires. And yes it is a caravan but it has some upgrades including more comfortable seats, the seats are really comfy.

We are a VW family. My dh drives a 2007 Jetta TDI and we are looking for another Jetta for our soon to be 16 year old. I have been happy with VWs. As for repairs costing a lot, I have found any car costs a lot to repair but my dh is hand and does 90% of repairs himself. Parts are easily obtainable but I know not everyone has a mechanically inclined dh.

Good luck on your purchase.

I have a Routan and I do love it. The reality is that it is a Chrysler T & C with different seats though. I think the suspension may be a little different as well, but my understanding is that it is built by Chrysler.

VW customer service is wonderful though - we got our van used but it still had original warranty and I love, love, love working with the dealership here. Free oil changes and standard maintenance for 36,000 miles - woo hoo!

Dh's dream car is some fancy BMW, but his 2nd choice is a VW Golf GTI. We test drove them and actually came close to just buying it, but something about car payments is holding us back! :tongue_smilie: We don't have the cash right now.

So, it is still on our mind to get one at some point.

I still remember my friends in college driving older Rabbits and I loved them. I had a huge honkin' Chevy Caprice Classic that my parents bought me because it was "saver" but it was HUGE compared to my friends' cars.

Dawn

I drive a 2009 Routan. I love it. I went from a big SUV (suburban) to this minivan and at first I thought I was going to hate it. But I don't. I will admit I was worried about being a soccer mom and driving a minivan. Which is funny because I am technically a soccer mom, I am just not a soccer mom. It's a nice van, it's room for my bigger kids and it has lots of compartments which they life. It also has a decent amount of cargo space. It fits a full size cello easily which was a must for us. We went with a mid range model but we did buy certified used because I can't justify buying new. I have a moon roof, heated seats, and auto start on mine because those were features I couldn't live without.

Good luck on your purchase.

:iagree: I told my husband if I had to drive a minivan I want to at least pretend its a hippie love van. And with all the gadgets inside we can pretend we're in a spaceship. Ours was traded at a little country dealership and we were able to get every. single. perk offered on our car for (relatively) cheap. Navigation, back seat entertainment system, heated seats, built in window screens, sun roof - you name it we've got it.

The VW van is actually a Dodge Grand Caravan with a VW nameplate on it, so the build quality, handling, (and even the build country!) are completely different from the VW cars. For this reason alone, I would not buy one new, rather I'd buy the original Dodge/Chrysler model, and not pay extra for the VW badge.

My family used to work at the plant where these were made (before they shut the plant down and laid off 3,000 people). They came off the same assembly line, but with different labels...and the VW price is a lot higher than the Dodge price. You can usually get big rebates on the Dodge vans, so I would go with one of those before the VW ones.

I see they have a minivan. I don't know anything about Volkswagen, except it's German. :)

Anyone own a VW and want to share their experiences?

:bigear:

I didn't read the other responses: just wanted to say I once had a Volkswagon Jetta. It was extremely expensive to repair when it had any issues (which began around 60-75K miles), and it died long before my husbands same age oldsmobile. We took good care of both of them, but the volkswagon just didn't live up to that "reliable" reputation.

Volkswagon parts are more expensive than standard, they sometimes have to special order them, and some car repair shops are not as familiar with them as standard vehicles. My FIL is an automechanic and he does not recommend them for the sheer purposes of dealing with repairs.

Our neighbors purchased a used Volkswagon (definitely do not recommend used) for their teenage daughter. I don't even know how much money or how many weekends they spent working on it before they finally gave up and had to purchase another vehicle to get her through college.

Overall, my impression is that they are good as new vehicles but they don't age well and they're expensive to repair.

We adore our VW Passat Wagon. Absolutely adore it. And we have known many VW owners (prior to our becoming one) who all adored their VWs. We love it so much that we are in the process of buying another, for the company car, for visiting colleagues (spending company's money, not ours, that came out oddly).

Our VW *feels* good inside, it feels well made. Prior to this we drove Toyotas and Hondas as our smaller cars, and we've had 2 Dodge minivans as our larger vehicles. The difference in the quality is amazing.

DH is not a car guy, but does work for a European company, and often drives the company cars when he's over there (not VW, but German)... He truly appreciates the quality. They are made differently.

One thing you might consider... We were talking to a VW guy recently, and learned that until 2009, VWs were manufactured in Germany. After 2009, they were manufactured in the US. Ours is a 2008, so it falls in the German-manufactured group. DH test drove a new one, and a 2010, same model - just to compare - and felt the difference. Less solid, he felt. (Which follows with the PP who said they were manufactured on a Dodge line, DH never cared for our Dodges.) You might double check the sales guy's info, but it's something to consider.

We also have an excellent mechanic, certified for VW, who is not affiliated with any dealer. He has saved us gobs of money - on our other cars. Our VW has not needed any work, other than routine maintenance. :)

Oh! And one thing I love about our VW... The volume adjustment. :) When we come to a stoplight and slow down, it automatically adjusts the volume lower, and raises it again when we accelerate. Love it!