Menu

Counting with your fingers?

I haven't a problem with using your fingers for math. As a matter of fact, I would drum away with my own invented "abascus" on the desktop and finish my math tests in less time than my classmates.

So, we accept the abascus, but we do not accept finger counting? Huh? What? I wonder about the use of manipulatives being exclusive, that is not using fingers for manipulatives.

Well, I was wondering around trying to find some reasonable or rather logical stride of thought that would convince me.

I found this ..... http://katinaferguson.hubpages.com/hub/The-Soroban

I remember seeing a soroban on a keychain that my grandmother carried. :001_smile: Through further research, I would have to wonder which is better?

Fingers?

Abascus?

Soroban?

It is a great read nonetheless!

Edit: The Mathrack ... neat name right? http://mathfour.com/sets-and-counting/first-grade-math-place-value-practice

This will help to teach place value too.

Edited by ChrissySC

I grow up with those thing and BTW, that is Chinese abacus rather than Japanese. Soropan is a Chinese words mean calculator panel.

Growing up, soropan is part of math lesson in elementary school. Not sure if they still do that.

I never have problem with fingers, actually you can use your finger to count up to 99 and it is quite efficient.

I actually count on the number itself, with imaginary dots on each one. When I was a kid, my school tried out a new system called Touch math, where you put one dot on one, two on two, etc. Nine has two eyes and a nose and then three rows of two dots on the side. I still see the dots in my head after all these years.

I have a problem with kids using their fingers to count, but I can't tell you why! Its the silliest thing! I guess it was something frowned upon when I was a kid so I frown upon it now.

Here's a link to touchmath....

http://www.touchmath.com/

I actually count on the number itself, with imaginary dots on each one. When I was a kid, my school tried out a new system called Touch math, where you put one dot on one, two on two, etc. Nine has two eyes and a nose and then three rows of two dots on the side. I still see the dots in my head after all these years.

I have a problem with kids using their fingers to count, but I can't tell you why! Its the silliest thing! I guess it was something frowned upon when I was a kid so I frown upon it now.

OMG. I was beginning to think I was the only one who learned this way. I STILL use it.

OMG. I was beginning to think I was the only one who learned this way. I STILL use it.

That is so cool!! I really did think I was the only one out there to use it.

Now I just need to decide if I want to teach my kids that way. If I ever see them using fingers I will!

I learned that Touchmath extends the learning dots beyond addition and subtraction, it even teaches multiplication, but I never learned that part that way, I just memorized my times tables. It might be worth looking into for the kiddos, I dunno.

I can't decide if I like them to figure stuff out, like by using manipulatives, or if Id rather them know it by rote memorization. I try giving them manipulatives first, then try to do this often enough until it is envisioned in their memory and then they know automatically. It takes awhile though!

I think Touch math just makes so much sense, but a few moms Ive described this to, looked at me like I was crazy. I guess since it worked for me, I like to tell everybody about it, but so far I never have run into anyone who has used it, till now:)

When DS was in PS (2007-2009), they used this method. He still taps his numbers with hispencil sometimes.

I counted on my fingers all the time when doing math...all the way through college calculus. I think I did it more to check my addition and subtraction but not sure...maybe it was habit. I was always good at math...taught my high school and college calculus roommates stuff they didn't get from the teacher and always got A's.

Now my dd counts on her fingers as well and I don't even worry about it. She's plenty fast and it just seems normal to me.

That's exactly how I do it! My kids actually called me on it last night and wanted to know how that was different than counting fingers.

I counted on my fingers all the time when doing math...all the way through college calculus. I think I did it more to check my addition and subtraction but not sure...maybe it was habit. I was always good at math...taught my high school and college calculus roommates stuff they didn't get from the teacher and always got A's.

Now my dd counts on her fingers as well and I don't even worry about it. She's plenty fast and it just seems normal to me.

I am getting ready to "undo" the no-finger-counting rule that we inherited from public school.

I just wanted some proof that this would cause some problem with computational skill level. Considering that both you and I have manged higher level math (including college trig and calculus) successfully, where is the draw back?

We use all types of manipulatives ... heck the ancients used counting sticks and beads! Please tell me that we can use our fingers. :lol: