Menu

Anyone ever make a homemade slice and bake cookie with a design in it?

Ds2 always begs me to get those Pillsbury cookies with the holiday themed designs in them. We're not eating pre-processed foods like that anymore, and I had those once and thought they tasted pretty gross, anyway.

I was trying to think of how I could make a homemade log of dough and slice and bake it. It might be kind of easy to make a green Christmas tree in the middle, I think.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I have done patterns, spirals, concentric circles, and even one with a green square in the middle. You could do a green tree, I think, in the same way - form the green dough into a log that was tree shaped (tricky) and freeze it solid. Then, wrap the regular dough around the frozen tree-log. Keep the dough cold when you go to slice and it should work.

Hmmm.... this sounds interesting. Maybe I will try this out myself!

Make two batches, one green and one white. With each batch, form a fat disc (not a log). Using a large-ish tree cookie cutter, cut a tree from the center of each. Swap the trees, so you have a green disc with a white tree, and a white disc with a green tree.

Now, making sure the dough is cold, roll it (like how you roll a snake from clay in kindergarten), pushing the flat end parts in now and again to keep them flat. The idea is to change the short fat disc shape into a longer thinner log shape more like the slice-and-bake.

The process is the same one used to make cane designs in Fimo or Sculpy.

Make two batches, one green and one white. With each batch, form a fat disc (not a log). Using a large-ish tree cookie cutter, cut a tree from the center of each. Swap the trees, so you have a green disc with a white tree, and a white disc with a green tree.

Now, making sure the dough is cold, roll it (like how you roll a snake from clay in kindergarten), pushing the flat end parts in now and again to keep them flat. The idea is to change the short fat disc shape into a longer thinner log shape more like the slice-and-bake.

The process is the same one used to make cane designs in Fimo or Sculpy.

I wish you could YouTube this for me! :lol: Maybe if I read it several more times I'll get it. I get the first part, but are you saying to push them together and slice them, or just make them flatter after changing out the middles?

I wish you could YouTube this for me! :lol: Maybe if I read it several more times I'll get it. I get the first part, but are you saying to push them together and slice them, or just make them flatter after changing out the middles?

No. You will end up with two separate batches, one green with a white tree, once vice-versa.

Start with the circles with the swapped trees. They will be the shape of a circular biscuit. Fat, and short. You have to change them into the log shape like the ones you buy. Start with the biscuit with the trees facing you. Think of squishing/squeezing in the rounded sides of the biscuit - it will get taller, right? And thinner? As the biscuit circle gets smaller, the biscuit gets taller (and the trees get a bit smaller). Eventually, you can turn the biscuit onto its rounded edge (with the trees now on each side facing left and right) and start rolling it like you'd roll a kindergarten snake. NOT like you roll pie dough, and NOT with a rolling pin. Roll it back and forth. It will continue to change shape, with the circle getting smaller around, and the now-looking-like-a-log length becoming longer/taller. Eventually you will end up with a log like the purchased ones, which you can slice and bake. I'll try to find a picture.