Menu

I shouldn't worry at all about PSAT

I just realized that TX score for the PSAT cutoff went up 4 points this past year to 219. There is no way. I was thinking 215 would be hard... Maybe I'll be surprised. I have a couple of weeks until I get his score anyway. Last year I didn't get his scores until Dec 14th. Just curious. Still don't understand why they don't do it online like the ACT.

I can't get that either. And, God forbid they don't allow you to use the homeschool code. Then you have to wait for a school guidance counselor to figure out who the kid is and maybe get around to contacting him. (Happened to a friend of mine.)

I think it is to hype up the program and create more drama. Not that I am complaining as ds' semifinalist status has netted us some decent merit aid, so far.

You never know on the score. We were shocked when ds got a score good enough to make semifinalist on the PSAT. Then he went and bombed the SAT a few months later. Good thing he was able to get the score up the next time he took it.

I'm trying to remember from last year, but isn't there a code or something that they're supposed to have taken from the test booklet in order to access their scores online? I remember we didn't have this and had to wait to get them by mail. Some had luck with calling and getting scores via the phone, but others of us were out of luck. Dd looked for a code this year, but didn't find anything, so I'm assuming we'll be in the same position as last year. :tongue_smilie:

Sorry to hear your cutoff has been raised.

Have they already published the new state cutoffs for the Oct. 2011 PSAT?

If you are referring to the huge jump in the state cutoffs between Oct. 2009 and 2010, the cutoff for 2011 might actually be lower. I read a discussion about this on College Confidential, and apparently the Oct 2010 PSAT was unusually easy which threw off the curve resulting in them raising the cutoffs. The pre-2011 PSAT speculation was that they would error on the side of making the test extra difficult to avoid a repeat of their 2010 curve problem. I'm sure there are post-test updates on CC as to the relative difficulty of the test, but I haven't bothered to look at it since the results are completely out of our control at this point!

Nancy

I can't get that either. And, God forbid they don't allow you to use the homeschool code. Then you have to wait for a school guidance counselor to figure out who the kid is and maybe get around to contacting him. (Happened to a friend of mine.)

Bummer. The school we used allowed use of the homeschool code. So we get our scores directly.

I just realized that TX score for the PSAT cutoff went up 4 points this past year to 219. There is no way. I was thinking 215 would be hard... Maybe I'll be surprised. I have a couple of weeks until I get his score anyway. Last year I didn't get his scores until Dec 14th. Just curious. Still don't understand why they don't do it online like the ACT.

You can access the tests online BUT you have to have the access code which is on the mailed copy.

If you are referring to the huge jump in the state cutoffs between Oct. 2009 and 2010, the cutoff for 2011 might actually be lower. I read a discussion about this on College Confidential, and apparently the Oct 2010 PSAT was unusually easy which threw off the curve resulting in them raising the cutoffs. The pre-2011 PSAT speculation was that they would error on the side of making the test extra difficult to avoid a repeat of their 2010 curve problem. I'm sure there are post-test updates on CC as to the relative difficulty of the test, but I haven't bothered to look at it since the results are completely out of our control at this point!

Nancy

This is true regarding last year's test and scores. This year's was considerably more difficult and should provide more normal results. It's ok that it's more difficult - the competition (other students) didn't change and they'll still have the same number of semi-finalists and commended students even if the scores are lower (more normal).

Here's the 2011 score cut-offs by state (which is actually the scores needed for last year's PSAT)

Qualifying Scores for the Class of 2011 National Merit Semifinalists:

Alabama 210

Alaska 214

Arizona 209

Arkansas 203 *Correction from what was previously listed*

California 219

Colorado 212 *Correction from what was previously listed*

Connecticut 219

Delaware 215

District of Columbia 223

Florida 210

Georgia 215

Hawaii 215

Idaho 208

Illinois 214

Indiana 212

Iowa 209

Kansas 211

Kentucky 208

Louisiana 210

Maine 213

Maryland 220

Massachusetts 223

Michigan 209

Minnesota 213 *Correction from what was previously listed*

Mississippi 205

Missouri 210

Montana 208

Nebraska 210

Nevada 208

New Hampshire 214

New Jersey 221

New Mexico 206

New York 217 *Correction from what was previously listed*

North Carolina 214

North Dakota 202

Ohio 212

Oklahoma 206

Oregon 215

Pennsylvania 216

Rhode Island 211

South Carolina 208

South Dakota 205

Tennessee 212

Texas 215

Utah 203

Vermont 212

Virginia 218

Washington 218

West Virginia 202

Wisconsin 209

Wyoming 202

Commended 201

International 223

New England Boarding Schools 223

ETA: Don't know when the scores needed for this year's test will be available.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

Here's the 2011 score cut-offs by state:

Do you get the feeling that the high-scoring states are heavily weighted toward non-public schools? I'm just curious. I know in MN, we have a couple private schools with tuition over $15,000 per year, but surely not as many as the East Coast, and I don't know of any boarding schools in MN at all.

Julie

Do you get the feeling that the high-scoring states are heavily weighted toward non-public schools? I'm just curious. I know in MN, we have a couple private schools with tuition over $15,000 per year, but surely not as many as the East Coast, and I don't know of any boarding schools in MN at all.

Julie

Yes, I believe that you are correct. The high cut-off states tend to have lots of boarding/private high schools and also high-income/high-tech areas where there are a high concentration of very educated and very competitive parents.

For us regular folk, it stinks to live in a high cut-off state for the PSAT since it seems that to qualify, a student would need close to a perfect PSAT because missing even 1 question on certain sections can lower your score by 4 points. Several years ago, my older son got 3 writing questions wrong and got a 68 for that section.

Good luck to all who are awaiting scores!

Brenda

Here's the 2011 score cut-offs by state:

Would this have been for the 2010-2011 junior class?

Right -- only 11th graders can qualify for National Merit. Also' date=' the cut-offs listed above are for last year's test. This year's cut-offs won't be announced until next fall. I'm hoping my guy did well enough that I don't need to wonder![/quote']

Not sure how the lists work but when you get the PSAT results it will indicate if your child has met the minimum so the state limits must already be set long before next fall.

I've never heard of 4 points being taken off for one PSAT question no matter the section. Did he answer all the questions and got 3 wrong? He would miss points for questions not answered as well.

This is what I have always been told (in 2009 and 2010):

Yes, he answered all the questions, and got three wrong. From what I've read, the curve can be very steep at times. I read one other report recently that suggested missing one math question led to a 76 on last year's test.

Brenda

Yes, he answered all the questions, and got three wrong. From what I've read, the curve can be very steep at times. I read one other report recently that suggested missing one math question led to a 76 on last year's test.

Brenda

Page 4 of this doc explains how they converted the raw data to the 20-80 score in 2010.

http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/understanding-psat-nmsqt-scores.pdf

Edited by HiddenJewel

Right -- only 11th graders can qualify for National Merit. Also, the cut-offs listed above are for last year's test. This year's cut-offs won't be announced until next fall. I'm hoping my guy did well enough that I don't need to wonder!

I'm sorry - you're right. I saw the 2011 date and assumed, yeah we know what that means, lol that these applied to this test date, but they go by the graduating class date. Thanks for pointing that out!

Julie

Without a doubt! Unfortunately it makes it harder for all the students from those states to qualify whether they've had the "benefit" of a very pricey education and private SAT tutoring, or not.

Would this have been for the 2010-2011 junior class?

Not sure how the lists work but when you get the PSAT results it will indicate if your child has met the minimum so the state limits must already be set long before next fall.

Yes you're right. I thought it was the scores needed this year, but it's the scores needed for last year's test. I edited the post listing the scores. :tongue_smilie:

I'm sure they know the limits when they set the curve, however, there is no way to tell from the PSAT results that you get in the mail or online short of being well above the qualifying score.

There will be an * next to your name if you don't qualify and nothing if you're a junior and you qualify for the competition (some don't due to nationality, etc), but that's it. It doesn't mean you made it.

Edited by creekland
Mixed up the asterisk and qualifying, so fixed it.

From what I've read, the curve can be very steep at times. I read one other report recently that suggested missing one math question led to a 76 on last year's test.

Brenda

Yes, missing one question on last year's math section resulted in a score of 76. The curve must be a little better on this year's math section - one wrong is a 77.

I think these are wrong. These are the scores that I thought, but on the college confidential site, they said that the cut-off for texas was 219. Several people on there had 216 and didn't make it this year. That is what I was talking about. It went up a ton last year.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships/1199607-national-merit-semifinalist-qualify-scores-class-2012-a.html

Here's the 2011 score cut-offs by state (which is actually the scores needed for last year's PSAT)

Alabama 210

Alaska 214

Arizona 209

Arkansas 203 *Correction from what was previously listed*

California 219

Colorado 212 *Correction from what was previously listed*

Connecticut 219

Delaware 215

District of Columbia 223

Florida 210

Georgia 215

Hawaii 215

Idaho 208

Illinois 214

Indiana 212

Iowa 209

Kansas 211

Kentucky 208

Louisiana 210

Maine 213

Maryland 220

Massachusetts 223

Michigan 209

Minnesota 213 *Correction from what was previously listed*

Mississippi 205

Missouri 210

Montana 208

Nebraska 210

Nevada 208

New Hampshire 214

New Jersey 221

New Mexico 206

New York 217 *Correction from what was previously listed*

North Carolina 214

North Dakota 202

Ohio 212

Oklahoma 206

Oregon 215

Pennsylvania 216

Rhode Island 211

South Carolina 208

South Dakota 205

Tennessee 212

Texas 215

Utah 203

Vermont 212

Virginia 218

Washington 218

West Virginia 202

Wisconsin 209

Wyoming 202

Commended 201

International 223

New England Boarding Schools 223

ETA: Don't know when the scores needed for this year's test will be available.

I think these are wrong. These are the scores that I thought, but on the college confidential site, they said that the cut-off for texas was 219. Several people on there had 216 and didn't make it this year. That is what I was talking about. It went up a ton last year.

http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/national-merit-scholarships/1199607-national-merit-semifinalist-qualify-scores-class-2012-a.html

Yes - they're the scores needed for last year. I guess my editing wasn't clear. :tongue_smilie:

Any idea when we get the list for this year's scores?

You are correct - in order to get last year's info, you need to google "national merit 2012 cutoff scores." These scores correspond to the 2010 PSAT test date. The Texas cutoff for the graduating class of 2012 was 219.

I believe that they will publish the cut-off dates for this year's PSAT in September 2012.

Oh wow - I thought we get some indication way before that - though probably not official. I think most of these lists are compiled by students self-reporting.

Oh good grief - I'm off by two years on my list of state scores??? :tongue_smilie:

Oh wow - I thought we get some indication way before that - though probably not official. I think most of these lists are compiled by students self-reporting.

Oh good grief - I'm off by two years on my list of state scores??? :tongue_smilie:

No, I think you were off by just one year. For example, this year's test results (2011 PSAT) will be listed under 2013 National Merit because that is the year this year's juniors will graduate. (I am not sure I am explaining this clearly enough:confused:)

Even though the official results are not published until next September, is it possible to determine status based on state percentile rankings? For example, my son's test results list how he performed compared to other sophomore's based on both a national level and state level.

I wonder if it is possible to average the three percentiles to determine status?:confused:

No, I think you were off by just one year. For example, this year's test results (2011 PSAT) will be listed under 2013 National Merit because that is the year this year's juniors will graduate. (I am not sure I am explaining this clearly enough:confused:)

Even though the official results are not published until next September, is it possible to determine status based on state percentile rankings? For example, my son's test results list how he performed compared to other sophomore's based on both a national level and state level.

I wonder if it is possible to average the three percentiles to determine status?:confused:

You're perfectly clear - especially now that I've had my coffee! :lol:

I think that averaging them will give you some idea, but it really depends on how everyone else in your state did this year. Supposedly they look for a certain number of people from each state to qualify, and whatever number gets them closest to that number is what they go with for that state. Or at least that's what I got from the NMS site.