Menu

I need audio book recommendations - again!

blondeviolin

In the month of December we'll be on vacation...and in the car at least 40 hours. I'd like to fill an MP3 player with audio books for my 5yo.

Most recently she's enjoyed:

Winnie The Pooh

The House at Pooh Corner

How to Eat Fried Worms

Pippi Longstocking

Roald Dahl books (she hasn't done Matilda or the Twits, but completed all the rest)

Magic Tree House 1-12 (but these have very boring audio and I'd rather her read them on her own)

We did Little House and she liked that okay, but it wasn't her favorite.

She loves the audio books because she enjoys the stories and the imagination they require...and she isn't reading them. LOL

I was thinking maybe the Ramona books?

It's not literature, but my 6yo son likes Hank the Cowdog audios. The voices are pretty funny.

Padington Bear

James Herriott's treasury on audio

I second Jim Weiss - pretty much any of his were hits here.

We use the Magic Treehouse audios as reading practice - they follow along in the book.

Is your local library part of the Overdrive eBook & audio book program? We've gotten quite a few audio books downloaded to iPods free through this program.

Yes, we've just started doing this, too.

We are currently enjoying The Moffats by Eleanor Estes. I have downloaded Where the Red Fern Grows, but I don't know what ages that would be most suitable for.

We have also enjoyed The Little Prince and The Incredible Journey of Edward Tulane on past car trips.

Have a great trip!

Heather

I like audio books that have a little special something.

A cricket in times square, it has music in the background,a dn foreground when appropriate.

The little house series, some people complain about the voice of Cherry Jones. But it has excellent fiddle playing when Pa plays the fiddle you actually hear someone playing the fiddle... Much better then my attempts at singing.

Dealing with dragons series, it has voices for all the characters. A big plus for me.

You can also get the first two "five little peppers" books for free from someplace online. (I lost on my links recently). These were well done for free books. Once voice for all characters but it is free. I also would have found these books difficult to read out loud due to the languge used.

Some that we have enjoyed that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

The Tale of Despereaux

Because of Winn-Dixie

Betsy-Tacy

Narnia

I second the votes for Jim Weiss and James Herriot's Treasury for Children.

Find readers/narrators you like and see what else they've done.