Menu

Do I need the teachers manual ~Saxon

Saxon 3 is different than 5/4. It isn't just lesson and problems. Their are activities designed for the student to complete with the aid of the teacher. While the TM for 5/4 and up is basically an answer key, the teacher's manual for 3 and below basically scripts the lesson. How to handle the various worksheets etc. It also gives the answers to the problems.

What I can't remember is if it gives you the basic info for filling in the meeting book and how exactly the pattern begins that you will be completing that day. And similar information.

If you would like me to get the TM and look this info up to be sure feel free to drop a pm and I'll raid the basement shelves for a more exact answer.

ETA: Many of the US distributors (such as Rainbow Resource) sell Saxon as a homeschool package. Sometimes that is more affordable than buying individual pieces. (I haven't looked at Saxon for lower grades in a while though so...)

Yes, Saxon changes dramatically between 3 and 5/4 and you will need the teachers manual. It contains all the lessons, which are scripted.

5/4 and up was prepared by a different author and looks completely different.

When we switched we found TM for levels 1-3 at a used book sale for about $4 each and bought the other books through Rainbow.

Saxon Intermediate 3 is in the same format as 5/4 and up. There is just a student book written to the student (which contains the lessons AND problems) and no teacher's manual.

It is fairly new, having just come out back in June or July. I used Saxon from K-2 in the older, teacher led format and switched him into Intermediate 3 this year. The manipulatives and such from the younger series were driving him crazy.

As a warning though, Intermediate 3 seems to me to be a big jump into abstract from the earlier grades of Saxon and there is a lot more writing involved. Not really an issue for my son, because that is what he wanted, but could be for others just coming from Saxon 2.

Hi guys,

I am going to switch ds8 from Rod and Staff to Saxon. He will be going into Saxon 3. Do I need the teachers manual? I never used one in Rod and Staff. All my other children have done Saxon from 54 onwards, and the complete lesson is right in the student book.

Thank you

Melissa

I do not know of your reasons for switching from R&S to Saxon, but the sentence up above that I bolded may have been part of the reason to blame if you did not feel that R&S was working. You did not say what level you were using, but from 1st-3rd grade in R&S math the main part of the lesson is in the TM...the student workbook is mainly for extra practice (and can actually be skipped if the entire oral lesson from the TM is done, along with a few choice problems on the whiteboard). The TM provides a scripted lesson that covers way, way more in each lesson than the workbook does. If the student simply does the workbook lesson, they will only encounter about 1/3 of the teaching that is meant to be covered each day.

Just a word of caution, in case anyone else was planning on teaching R&S math without the TM. :D

Hi guys,

I am going to switch ds8 from Rod and Staff to Saxon. He will be going into Saxon 3. Do I need the teachers manual? I never used one in Rod and Staff. All my other children have done Saxon from 54 onwards, and the complete lesson is right in the student book.

Thank you

Melissa

You don't NEED it, but you will probably find it very useful. For one thing, it has the worksheet answers at the end of each lesson in the TM.

Saxon Intermediate 3 is in the same format as 5/4 and up. There is just a student book written to the student (which contains the lessons AND problems) and no teacher's manual.

It is fairly new, having just come out back in June or July. I used Saxon from K-2 in the older, teacher led format and switched him into Intermediate 3 this year. The manipulatives and such from the younger series were driving him crazy.

As a warning though, Intermediate 3 seems to me to be a big jump into abstract from the earlier grades of Saxon and there is a lot more writing involved. Not really an issue for my son, because that is what he wanted, but could be for others just coming from Saxon 2.

This appears to be a very new version. Cathy Duffy reviews it here: http://cathyduffyreviews.com/math/saxon-math-intermediate-3.htm

Saxon 3 is different than 5/4. It isn't just lesson and problems. Their are activities designed for the student to complete with the aid of the teacher. While the TM for 5/4 and up is basically an answer key, the teacher's manual for 3 and below basically scripts the lesson. How to handle the various worksheets etc. It also gives the answers to the problems.

...)

Thank you so much, just the advice I was after.

I do not know of your reasons for switching from R&S to Saxon, but the sentence up above that I bolded may have been part of the reason to blame if you did not feel that R&S was working. You did not say what level you were using, but from 1st-3rd grade in R&S math the main part of the lesson is in the TM...the student workbook is mainly for extra practice (and can actually be skipped if the entire oral lesson from the TM is done, along with a few choice problems on the whiteboard). The TM provides a scripted lesson that covers way, way more in each lesson than the workbook does. If the student simply does the workbook lesson, they will only encounter about 1/3 of the teaching that is meant to be covered each day.

Just a word of caution, in case anyone else was planning on teaching R&S math without the TM. :D

HI,

we were using grade 2. Basically my son is bored to tears with Rod and Staff, pages and pages of the same problems over and over again. He now completely HATES math, to the extent that he goes and hides when it is time to do his math and I have to physically fetch him. ds17 advised me that the math ds8 is doing would be enough to bore anyone and to quickly change to something else.

Hi guys,

Thank you

Melissa

I used Saxon 3 without the TM. There were a handful of pages that we had to skip because the directions were in the TM and a couple of things that I had to teach *my* way because I didn't know how to do it the "Saxon" way and didn't have the TM to figure it out. I hated Saxon 3 and won't do it again even though I really enjoy 5/4 and up. Maybe we would have had a different experience if we'd gone the TM route. Now we do BJU worktext. No TM til we hit 5/4. It's happy and colorful.

When we switched we found TM for levels 1-3 at a used book sale for about $4 each and bought the other books through Rainbow.

I so wish we had used book sales in Australia for homeschool books! There are some forums that sell secondhand curriculum, but they tend to have a waiting list for some books like early years Saxon!

I am looking at the whole sex of Saxon 3 costing me around $170-$200 Au

[quote name= The TM provides a scripted lesson that covers way, way more in each lesson than the workbook does. If the student simply does the workbook lesson, they will only encounter about 1/3 of the teaching that is meant to be covered each day.

:iagree: