Menu

Impulsive older child - what diagnosis am I looking for?

KathyBC

Let's say that there is a teenager, who both parents often thought of as some level of ADD or ADHD... distractible, but who can focus and has no issues in highly structured settings such as sports or public school; but when given free time in a home setting seems to have as much understanding of cause and effect as a 2-year-old. What specifics or questions need to be directed towards a pediatrician?

Thanks for any thoughts or insight.

ETA: Cross-posting to General Board

Edited by KathyBC

Diagnosis: teenager? If they do well in a structured setting, it may just be that they need help with figuring out how to make their own structure. The book 'Smart But Scattered' has lots of suggestions about how you can help them with that. I've only skimmed it so far but it looks like it could be really helpful. I started the proper reading this morning.

Well our neuropsych had Smart but Scattered on his bookshelf, hehe... I don't think it precludes a diagnosis of ADHD. Since it's clearly affecting his life, I'd go ahead and get him evaluated. You're not reading into things, and if he does have issues, it's better to know now than later.