Menu

You know how when you get older, older is not older?

I was just thinking about my mom and grandma. My mom always mentioned that her mother was much older when she was born. My mom was the youngest of 9 and kept mentioning that her mother was just tired due to her age. So, I recently asked her how old grandma was when she gave birth to my mom. 40! Yes, 40!!! I was thinking this woman was in her 50s from all that my mom was saying. Now, at 41 years old myself, 40 is not all that old! Funny how perspective changes. I've also realized all those college students at our church? I could be their mother and it wouldn't even have had to be a teenage pregnancy. So when my husband says I could pass for a college student, I don't believe him anymore.

Any stories you have?

Beth

:lol::lol::lol:

My ongoing problem is that I keep seeing teens and young adults and thinking, "Hey, didn't I go to high school/college with that person?!" Then comes the moment where I realize that, had I actually gone to school with that person, they'd be old like me now too :glare: DD6 takes a singing class on campus at the university I graduated from, so it happens often. More often than I'd care to admit, actually *sigh*

My grandmother said that sometimes when she was out shopping, she'd catch a glimpse of herself in a store window and think, "Who is that old woman? OMG!! It's me!!" :lol:

I remember how shocked I was the first time Mr. Ellie and I joined a church where we were older than the pastor...and he was 40yo. :001_huh:

I remember being weirded out when I realized I had been out of school as long as I'd been in, and then when I was married to Mr. Ellie as long as I'd been in school. :001_huh:

My grandmother just passed away at the age of 87 and she never thought she was old. She use to say all the time"I hope they don't think I am old." She usually said that when someone treated her like she was old and would try to help her. It was funny and cute! She was losing her sight, so yes she was old and needed the help.

I didn't realize I was "old" until I caught myself talking to a teenager (family or those from church) and they gave me a look that said "why are you talking to us?" I gave them a look back that said "it wasn't THAT long ago I was your age and I still remember!" :lol:

I always thought my mom was old when I was a kid, until I saw a video of her at the same age I was at the time I was viewing it and I was embarrassed that she looked way better than me at that age (30). :001_huh:

As a kid, I thought 30 and over was "old" . . . . . I still agree! My view has changed that it is ok to be "old". :D If you are over that age and don't think you are "old", then you are kidding yourself. But, remember that is it ok to be "old". When you were 15 or 21 it wasn't ok to be "old". That is what has changed in my mind. :tongue_smilie:

I'm in my mid 30s and it always shocks me how OLD people I went to high school with look now.

:iagree: I don't recognize people because they look so old and I couldn't look that old. :lol: I had my kids in my 20s. I have notice classmates that waited and had kids in their 30s sure look a lot younger than me! How can that be fair? Perhaps they will catch up after my kids go off to college and they don't stress me out as much (aging slows down)and their kids will be preteens at that point and their aging will speed up. :lol:

About six years ago, one Wednesday night at church activities, I saw a little boy that looked EXACTLY like a little boy I had gone to elementary school with, and rode the bus with, I had played with him and his brothers a few times.

I said to my dd, "That little boy looks just like a kid I went to school with!!!!" I was truly flabbergasted.

A woman I had never seen said to me, "Maybe you knew his dad, because his dad used to live around here, and now he's back."

Turns out it was his kid, and yeah, the little boy looked just like his dad did when he was the same age.

A few weeks later I was at their home and a photo on the wall of the dad and his brothers left no doubt. Well, by that time we were friends again anyway.

Some time ago my DH took our (then) 3yo for a haircut and the hair dresser (a guy in his 20's) said to my DS - "Oh isn't it nice that your Grandpa bought you for a haircut " :lol::lol::lol:

DH was mortified (he was 39 at the time).

When my 2yo was born my mother came to help me with the kids. Whenever we went out my mum wanted to hold the baby and so many people kept coming up and Congratulating her on HER new baby. My mum would laugh and then say "Oh no, I'm the Grandma this is my daughters baby" and then point to me and they would look at me and sort of go "Oh" :001_huh:

Ok so I know my mum is only 19 years older then me but really - it's not possible that she looks younger then I do :glare:

My mum's confidence got a big kick out of it though - she loved that everyone thought she looked young enough to have this newborn baby.

As for me - I'm still hoping that everyone was thinking I was the baby's older sister -not the Grandma :lol:

I remember as a school kid running next door during recess to Mrs. VanderZwaag's house to buy eggs for the school teachers (small country 3 room school so lots of freedoms that are gone now) and she was OLD.........well, 35 years later, she is still living in that house. Likely at that time she was only 45-50 or so.

What seems weird to me is that our new pastor at our church is my age. Pastors are just supposed to be older and wiser, etc. and not my age. Soon the pastors will all be younger than me.

I am a mix here though as my son was adopted at age 7 1/2 when I was only 24 so I have a child much older than most people my age but yet I am not old. My youngest though will be 15 next month and the gray hairs are popping all over.

My 25 year class reunion: I had kept in touch with my 3 high school best friends. Since we had seen each other over the years, we watched one another gradually, gracefully age. Everyone else, I hadn't seen since we took the graduation walk. At my reunion I remember looking around and wondering, "Who are all these old people at my class reunion?" :lol:

A talented football player who was on my alma mater's team when I was in school has a son who plays on the team now. That realization made me feel ancient, as it feels like college wasn't that long ago.

College seems like yesterday! I really can't believe that I've ben out for 22 years. That's as long as it took me to go all the way through school and graduate from college. It just seems wrong.

My dad is 80. He says that he still feels 21 on the inside. :)

My dad reports the really annoying thing is his personality is the same as when he was 17 but his body won't cooperate.

:iagree:

I tried to show my nieces that I could do a cartwheel a few years ago...seemed possible in my mind...halfway over my body was sending the message to my brain "Hellllllloooo... what do you think you are doing????" I hurt for days after that!

Jodie

My grandmother said that sometimes when she was out shopping, she'd catch a glimpse of herself in a store window and think, "Who is that old woman? OMG!! It's me!!" :lol:

I remember how shocked I was the first time Mr. Ellie and I joined a church where we were older than the pastor...and he was 40yo. :001_huh:

I remember being weirded out when I realized I had been out of school as long as I'd been in, and then when I was married to Mr. Ellie as long as I'd been in school. :001_huh:

Our preacher is younger than us. Just by a couple of years. He's in his mid-thirties, and so are we. It still seems weird, though.

We have been transferring all of our old VHS home movies to DVD, so they are running on the TV constantly. I didn't realize how much dh and I had aged until I watched us taking care of our babies a couple of decades ago. I'm older than my mom was on those tapes. It has given me a very strange feeling.

:iagree:

I tried to show my nieces that I could do a cartwheel a few years ago...seemed possible in my mind...halfway over my body was sending the message to my brain "Hellllllloooo... what do you think you are doing????" I hurt for days after that!

Jodie

:lol:

A few years ago, my friend who is my age, was going to show some other kids what a somersault was. As she was starting to explain it, I realized that she herself was planning on doing one. Before I could get "wait, stop!" out of my mouth, she did one and it took her a good 5 minutes to recover. I knew what would happen because a few years before that, I did one and got SOOOOO dizzy. Never again.

Beth