Menu

The most awesomely awkward wedding kiss ever.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That kiss was terrible! I had to rewind it to show dh. Then he was mad at me. "Why did I have to see that? It looks like they were trying to eat each other's faces!"

I think someone needed to tell them how to do a "church kiss".

If they were so bad at that, I wonder how the rest of the night went. UGH.

I saw the preview last night. ACK! There is one very good argument for not making your first intimate moment take place in front of a hundred people (or TV cameras! Good GRAVY!).

I attended a wedding where the bride and groom had not kissed. The pastor made a speech about it, the same way Jim Bob did at Josh's wedding. Personally, I think even that is really odd. Why does there need to be a public statement about what level of physical intimacy you've restrained yourselves to? :confused: I just think the whole spectacle is nobody's business. You don't get a Gold Star for being completely chaste until your wedding day; why does it need to be displayed for everybody?

Well, that's just nuts. I've heard something like it in fundamental-but-not-ATI churches before. DH was really disgusted at a preacher once who insisted that s*xual passion was the province of newlyweds only. Preacher said of course couples who have been married a few years love each other, but s*x is perfunctory duty for the rest of the marriage after the lust wears off.

:001_huh: <----- That's me being sorry for his wife.

I can testify after 16 years of marriage that sometimes those sparks are all you have to run on. During the really hard times that old romance and awesome chemistry keep us together more effectively than any other reason.

Isn't that what makes the world go 'round?

I agree. Dh and I Started dating 20 years ago. We still have that spark.

Frankly, the only male I have known who thought that way? Was in the closet. A mutual acquaintance caught him out at a certain nightclub with another man.

You've got to understand that in some QF/Chrisitian patriarchal circles, people teach that chemistry between future spouses doesn't matter. They seem to think that as long as two people are "godly," they will have a good marriage. Chemistry and personalities being compatible are seen as optional. Blech!

Ohh yuck. I mean, I know that my Dh may get sick, and old, and I'm no bright shiny thing myself anymore, but we still have the hots for each other and yes, it's glue. I cannot imagine having to be married to a person that I had no attraction to.

I saw the preview last night. ACK! There is one very good argument for not making your first intimate moment take place in front of a hundred people (or TV cameras! Good GRAVY!).

I attended a wedding where the bride and groom had not kissed. The pastor made a speech about it, the same way Jim Bob did at Josh's wedding. Personally, I think even that is really odd. Why does there need to be a public statement about what level of physical intimacy you've restrained yourselves to? :confused: I just think the whole spectacle is nobody's business. You don't get a Gold Star for being completely chaste until your wedding day; why does it need to be displayed for everybody?

I totally agree, I can't imagine how embarrassing that would be. And I really don't like that they're kind of making out anyone who waits until their wedding night to have sex as a freak. The no-kissing thing is such a teeny tiny minority of people who abstain. My DH and I waited until marriage and you know what, it was never ever ever mentioned to anyone at or before the wedding cause it's none of their business, sheesh! Only our close friends and my sisters know we waited, DH's parents probably assume we did, I dunno and I don't care to discuss that with my MIL, lol! How awkward to have something sweet and intimate like a first kiss be put on display like that!

I totally agree, I can't imagine how embarrassing that would be. And I really don't like that they're kind of making out anyone who waits until their wedding night to have sex as a freak. The no-kissing thing is such a teeny tiny minority of people who abstain. My DH and I waited until marriage and you know what, it was never ever ever mentioned to anyone at or before the wedding cause it's none of their business, sheesh! Only our close friends and my sisters know we waited, DH's parents probably assume we did, I dunno and I don't care to discuss that with my MIL, lol! How awkward to have something sweet and intimate like a first kiss be put on display like that!

:iagree: We waited for sex as well, but I would have been absolutely mortified if that had been announced publicly! :svengo: We were really good at kissing, though. :tongue_smilie:

No way would I marry someone I didn't have chemistry with. Nearly 13 years in things are better than ever. :D

Edited by Veritaserum

I think in some circles, you do "get a gold star". It's apparently important for them to let everyone know they waited. I'd be horrible embarrassed to stand in front of everyone and have my first kiss like that. (Dh and I were virgins, but did plenty of kissing before the wedding!)

I also think Jim Bob was probably proud to announce his son's purity and character to everyone.

Wendi

I actually thought the Duggar one was kind of sweet, although I could have done without the stupid speech beforehand--that was embarrassing. I had never seen this before, so I watched the whole clip. I was struck by the way that the preacher stood below the couple, who faced the congregation--that is wrong, wrong, wrong. The Office of Holy Ministry is instituted by Christ and important. I can't imagine making the focus of a church wedding the couple only. The focus in a church should be on them coming before God, and if that means less photo ops, so be it.

But I have to say that I'm beyond irritated at the concept for this show. People who choose to remain virgins until married are now 'freak-show' material, to be paraded around like the morbidly obese and the fetishists and children being exploited for entertainment and money? Nice, TLC

While I agree with you, I don't think the fault lies with TLC exclusively. These people agreed to parade their lives on national television. They have to know that TLC won't portray them in a good light. TLC = The Laughingstock Channel. They chose to be part of the sideshow. I'm sure these couples had visions of using their story to bring more people around to their way of thinking, but I'd bet the monetary gains were a factor as well.

First off, :ack2: ...that was disturbing.

I saw the commercial and was like :eek:

What I especially didn't like was that you can tell the show is going to make complete fools out of these virgins. I think it's wonderful to be a virgin when you marry, but to look like a complete buffoon on TV for the world to make fun of your convictions...Well, and I am assuming there are convictions. Not just two sad people who couldn't do better. Oy.

Remember Mad TVs "Lowered Expectations"?

Wow, awkward for sure!

But I have to say that I'm beyond irritated at the concept for this show. People who choose to remain virgins until married are now 'freak-show' material, to be paraded around like the morbidly obese and the fetishists and children being exploited for entertainment and money? Nice, TLC

Ditto. The kiss is grody but the whole concept is obnoxious. There are lots of very happily married... not to mention sexually healthy :D people who were virgins when they married!

TLC has become a freak show instead of "the learning channel". I hate the concept of the show and I think they are showing virginity in a bad light.

That kiss though was just awful.

:iagree: w all above. the whole concept...it bothered me a little. I don't consider those of us who made decisions for abstinence to be weird...not in the freak show way that they are displaying, anyway!

Well, that's just nuts. I've heard something like it in fundamental-but-not-ATI churches before. DH was really disgusted at a preacher once who insisted that s*xual passion was the province of newlyweds only. Preacher said of course couples who have been married a few years love each other, but s*x is perfunctory duty for the rest of the marriage after the lust wears off.

:001_huh: <----- That's me being sorry for his wife.

I can testify after 16 years of marriage that sometimes those sparks are all you have to run on. During the really hard times that old romance and awesome chemistry keep us together more effectively than any other reason.

Isn't that what makes the world go 'round?

:001_huh: Wow. All of our pastors would heartily disagree with that guy. :D As would we...

I actually thought the Duggar one was kind of sweet, although I could have done without the stupid speech beforehand--that was embarrassing. I had never seen this before, so I watched the whole clip. I was struck by the way that the preacher stood below the couple, who faced the congregation--that is wrong, wrong, wrong. The Office of Holy Ministry is instituted by Christ and important. I can't imagine making the focus of a church wedding the couple only. The focus in a church should be on them coming before God, and if that means less photo ops, so be it.

That's how we stood. :) It was our pastor's idea. He figured, why have a ceremony where everyone just sees our backs, when we are who they are there to see? He did all weddings like that.

That's how we stood. :) It was our pastor's idea. He figured, why have a ceremony where everyone just sees our backs, when we are who they are there to see? He did all weddings like that.

So, I get that, but it's a wedding, which is a church service. If it were at the justice of the peace, that would be another story. At least in my view.

Oh, wow. That first kiss....blechhhhh. Seriously, were they never allowed to watch movies with kissing?! DisGUSTing.

The Duggar kiss was sweet, I think. I would find it incredibly awkward to have that fact broadcast to the world however.

I know (of) normal couples who saved their first kiss for their wedding day, and I've seen pictures of those kisses - much much better than what we saw here today.

Guest submarines

Setting people up for ridicule. Great idea for entertainment. Nothing new, really. :glare:

Knowing how those reality shows operate, they probably were coached to kiss this way. A trailer with a timid peck on the lips wouldn't generate so much interested, would it?

Yeah. It's been years since anyone learned anything from The Learning Channel.

Not true! Even their commercials are highly instructive! They consistently teach me never to pimp myself or my family out on television. :tongue_smilie:

Setting people up for ridicule. Great idea for entertainment. Nothing new, really. :glare:

Knowing how those reality shows operate, they probably were coached to kiss this way. A trailer with a timid peck on the lips wouldn't generate so much interested, would it?

:iagree: Exactly, because something is just not right with that clip!

Ditto. The kiss is grody but the whole concept is obnoxious. There are lots of very happily married... not to mention sexually healthy :D people who were virgins when they married!

:iagree: My dh and I being in that group.

As to the kiss... I think I threw up a little bit in my mouth. Definitely wish I had some brain bleach after that!

I do hope my children choose to wait until they're married to have s*x (DH and I did and are glad we did). There's something sweet about figuring it out together and finding that it just gets better and better. :) If they choose to wait until they're married to kiss, that's up to them. However, methinks DH and I should make it a point to kiss in front of them, so that they know what a good kiss looks like. :)