Menu

What's a good short story for a character analysis?

A Worn Path by Eudora Welty- a negro woman walks to get medicine for her grandson

The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber by Ernest Hemmingway- This story takes place on a safari. My middle boy wrote a short paper on whether or not Francis Macomber was a coward or not.

How I Met My Husband by Alice Munro, A woman falls in love with a flier. There is a very short sex scene. It isn't too graphic.

Everyday Use by Alice Walker A mom and her daughter endure a visit from the oldest grown-up daughter.

Miss Brill by Katherine Mansfield- story of Miss Brill and her fur ( very short)

The Jilting of Granny Weatherall by Katherine Anne Porter- an old woman is dying

All of these are in my Perrine's literature book and are relatively short. There is also Young Goodman Brown by Hawthorne and Bartleby the Scrivner by Melville if you want a longer selection.

HOpe that helps!

What short story do you recommend for a character analysis. Dd has already read The Necklace and Gift of the Magi. I was trying to find a short story that she has not read.

Thanks,

Karen

The short stories of Edith Wharton are very good. Xingu is one of my favorites. Roman Fever is another one I like.

Young Goldman Brown is a good one.

The Lottery by Shirley Jackson would be a bot more challenging. How old is your student. You could analyze the "town" as character, or pick more specifically.

There will come soft rains, by Ray Bradbury. We jad to analyze the character of the house. It was a very interesting assignment.