Menu

WWYD? New house, no natural light, everyone sleeps late

I bought a couple more lamps, and we're getting used to the dimness in the house but...

Everyone sleeps in two hours later than our old normal. DS9, who used to be one of the earlier risers, is still sound asleep at 8:55. He has 5 minutes to wake up, get dressed, do his chores, and eat breakfast before school starts (old routine). Obviously, that isn't going to happen. And it isn't just him; no one else has gotten beyond waking up. Even DH who always wakes ridiculously early, sleeps in two hours later since moving here.

We're all having a hard time getting moving in the morning once we are awake too. It's weird.

Is there any hope of getting back to waking up naturally at an earlier time? Or are we stuck with the new reality of choosing between sleeping the day away or using alarms and forcing groggy bodies to move?

same here. when the sun shines the upstairs front bedrooms are too bright and we are up early. when it's cloudy like today we could all sleep until 10am.

I have been making the kids get up by 8am during the week if they need the help due to dark/cloudy days. hoping they will eventually wake up regardless of light coming in the window.

I still haven't put up curtains and with winter almost here I am thinking we won't. we need to light to get up!

Continuing to use DS as an example...He used to sleep about 9 hours a night. Now he's getting 10-11 hours a night. But it isn't just him. It's everyone. Dh, who used to wake up anywhere from 4-6am is now sleeping until 7-8am unless he sets an alarm.

oh my-I'd love it if my ds even slept in 1/2 that time LOL....what about one of those "natural wakening" sound machine things.....can't think of the name.....I'll google and see if I can find it....and one of those things that ALLEARIA is talking about a few posts up from me.....that's what I'm thinking about....

I wonder if there could be other factors contributing to it. Call me paranoid....but if everyone is more lethargic throughout the day, I'd worry about molds and such.

We recently had a time change, too. That always messes us up whether we're moving the clocks forward or backward.

I wonder if there could be other factors contributing to it. Call me paranoid....but if everyone is more lethargic throughout the day, I'd worry about molds and such.

We recently had a time change, too. That always messes us up whether we're moving the clocks forward or backward.

We just moved out of a house with mold issues. I could tell this house was better within the first couple of days.

Time change has never done this to us.

I think it is simply the fact that the house is dark. It's nearly pitch black at night, and it's dark all day. Even with lights on, it's darker than what we are used to without lights on.

:grouphug:

its going to be a continuing problem....

so

more lights, different lights, music, alarm clocks, going outside for a walk to start your day.....

a chain saw.....

a moving van....

lights and music and a walk to start the day will be cheaper and easier....

:grouphug: some people live at latitudes where this is the way it is, every winter.....

ann

DH just installed a CO monitor. It is not telling us to leave the house so I'm assuming we're ok there.

I always deal with significant changes in sleep needs and energy levels. I need significantly more sleep and have significantly less energy during the winter than during the summer. I haven't seen/notice that kind of difference in the other members of the family though. It's just been since moving here. This house is like living at night 24/7, which is why I assume it is the lack of light.

I guess the best option is to rely on alarms to get us up and use will power to get going in the morning. I just really hate alarms.

I have told the kids to leave their blinds open at night to see if that helps. It doesn't change the lighting very much but maybe it will help.

These will wake you up naturally and are the BEST 'alarm clock' that we have ever had. I never imagined it would work so well with my circadian rhythms but it does - I can become wide awake even with it technically dark outside thanks to this clock. Worth every penny - especially to not deal with an alarm buzzing ;).

http://www.amazon.com/BioBrite-Sunrise-Clock-Advanced-Model/dp/B00196LFGW/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1322526033&sr=1-2

When I lived in NYC, I lived in an apartment where I slept in a bedroom that had no windows (not pleasant, btw!). I had to install a timer on my uber-bright halogen lamp, set to turn it on about 20 minutes before my alarm went off. It was the only way I could get up in the morning! The timers are very cheap at most hardware stores.

ETA: It also wouldn't worry me (WRT to carbon monoxide, mold etc.). I've found that when I fall asleep on the couch, I wake bright and early with the birds because the sun lights up the front of the house. When I sleep in our bed, I can barely drag myself out any earlier than 8:00 because I'm sleeping so deeply in the dimness. If you have other reasons to suspect physical issues, though, of course you should investigate them!

Edited by melissel

I've always meant to get one of the sunrise clocks but they are so expensive that it seemed too extravagant, especially when I always have kids that have some sort of clothing needs.

I just left a moldy house. Sleepiness was not one of my symptoms there. I had pretty significant allergy-like symptoms and dizziness. Those have improved significantly since moving in. The windows are all newer and don't have any condensation or signs of mold. There is only one place where there might be some (water damage) but there's nothing there that looks like mold. It's on the list I've given the property management as a concern, but the orange-tagged furnace (energy company tagged it for inspection and cleaning right away) is probably going to be a priority.

...writing here from the Land of Darkness...

EVERYONE here at our house sleeps more in the winter. DH and I go to bed by 9pm and could easily sleep til 7 or 8 if the dogs would cooperate. The kids all seem to zone in around 10 hours of sleep. In the summer, we all get by with 7-8 hours, even DD10 and the teenagers. The daylight wakes everyone up.

So....what to do? A regular schedule is the best. DS15 and DD17 have to be at band class by 6:30am, so my alarm goes off (as do the dogs) at 5:30am. I get DD10 out of bed at 8am regardless. Vitamin D really helps as well, as does eating breakfast each morning. I turn on the lights and the radio and get everyone moving - showers first thing help too.

I think you just have to set the alarm clock and get everyone moving unless you want to start your day later.

You might all need more sleep than you were getting. I found when living in a darker climate and or house I needed to get outside more often no matter what the weather. I have a family member that had a guest room without windows. Wow, I do know how you feel, I left the door open and the hall light on to help orient me. It sounds like you are going to have to make alarm clocks your friend.

...writing here from the Land of Darkness...

I've always thought it would be great to visit Alaska during the summer. You can keep your winters, though. It's hard enough down here in Washington. The 8.5 to 9 hour days are so very short. I've lived here 19 years, and I still have difficulty adjusting to the seasonal differences. There difference between my energy and mood is really remarkable. I love manic summers, though I do need to be reminded to feed the kids because I don't get hungry until the sun goes down around 10pm, which is a bit late for dinner. If you've ever seen the Northern Exposure episode where the doctor goes to Alaska during the summer and stays up for days...that's almost what I'm like.

I think maybe it is just more pronounced because the dark house is making it even darker. I didn't even manage to get breakfast made until noon today. I find it so very hard to get outside during the summer. I mean who wants to go outside and get cold and wet when you are already cold and tired?

i just remembered something else we do that helps us a lot. we program the thermostat so that it is significantly colder in the house at night. then it is programmed to increase the heat by about 7 degrees F as we are getting up. the difference in temperature and the sound of the heater often is enough to get us going.

hth,

ann