Menu

Natural antibiotics? Chronic sinusitis

Okay, I had an antibiotic resistant sinus infection in the spring. I went through several rounds of antibiotics, one of them hospital grade. I was sick for 3 months. I didn't have any problems until last month. Now I've been sick for over a month. I'm on my second round of antibiotics. It is chronic sinusitis. I'm supposed to take allergy shots, but haven't had one in over a month b/c of being sick. I've have a head CT and the ENT has confirmed that there is no physical reason for the chronic sinusitis.

MIL says that antibiotics weaken the immune system and that it takes 3-4 months for the body to recover being on them. If they weaken the immune system why do we take them to get over being sick?

Should I be worried about an auto-immune disease? I don't really have any other symptoms of the AI diseases that I've researched. I always use the same doctor's office so they have my 6" thick file every time I go in. They just keep prescribing AB and don't seemed concerned with why I'm not getting better.

I know there is a wealth of info on this board, but I won't take anything anyone says at face value. I'll research it so links will help me figure this out. Thanks so much! Oh, I have pretty good insurance.

Take a good probiotic. This is the one I keep recommending. (And no, I don't work for them.;))

Take vitamin D - at least 1000 IU a day but I would take 5000 IU in the winter. If you've been tested and have low levels (like I have ) then take 10,000 IU a day in the winter.

Research Oregano capsules. They are a natural antibiotic. As with all antibiotics, they can kill off gut flora (which is why I recommended the probiotics). Take probiotics about 3 hours after taking the antibiotics so that you are not killing off the probiotics that you are trying to put into your system.

Nasal Rinse - research the NeilMed sinus rinses. It really makes a difference. The saline rinses out crud but also shrinks the nasal tissues so that your sinuses can drain.

:grouphug:

The issue is very likely the same one with resistant ear infections--biofilms that protect the bacteria from antibiotics. I like P73 oregano oil (only that form) as a natural antibiotic but it's going to have issues with biofilms too and I'd put money on biofilms being your issue. For ears the solution is you have to get the fluid with biofilms out physically. I would assume the same is true of the sinuses. I would add a nasal rinse and consult a cranial sacral therapist if possible to see if there are massages to help drain. I'll do some research on biofilm with sinuses to see if there is more you might do.

To boost the immune system I agree with Jean that you want vitamin D3 and probiotics.

Florastor (s. bouldari) is a probiotic that is proven to boost the immune system and, importantly, antibiotics can't kill it. I highly recommend that one for you. I should mention oregano oil will kill the Florastor (because it has anti-fungal and antibiotic properties) but typical antibiotics won't.

The average adult uses 1000 IU of vitamin D per 25 pounds each day. So you'd need more than that to raise a low level and that at least to maintain current levels. A healthy adult can take up to 10,000 IU of D3 (again, only D3 form) per day regardless of level. Healthy vitamin D levels (50 and up on 25(OH)D blood tests) are the single best thing you can do for your immune system. So I'd recommend you go ahead and take a very high dose but within safety limits. Specifically, I'd take 10,000 IU 6 days a week.

Ok. It does look like biofilms likely play a role in chrnic sinusitis.

I found this and it does talk about biofilms and physical removal (rinsing) http://www.boogordoctor.com/2011/02/5-step-program-to-eliminate-chronic-sinusitis/

Here is a report on a study (published, presented) about honey and topical use for sinusitis. I didn't look it up the actual study on pubmed. http://www.medindia.net/news/Chronic-Sinusitis-Causing-Biofilm-Killed-Using-Honey-42230-1.htm

Are you being treated for the allergies otherwise? My MIL has sinus issues that are helped my treating her allergies but I assume that's being handled/been explored for you.

Take a good probiotic. This is the one I keep recommending. (And no, I don't work for them.;))

Take vitamin D - at least 1000 IU a day but I would take 5000 IU in the winter. If you've been tested and have low levels (like I have ) then take 10,000 IU a day in the winter.

Research Oregano capsules. They are a natural antibiotic. As with all antibiotics, they can kill off gut flora (which is why I recommended the probiotics). Take probiotics about 3 hours after taking the antibiotics so that you are not killing off the probiotics that you are trying to put into your system.

Nasal Rinse - research the NeilMed sinus rinses. It really makes a difference. The saline rinses out crud but also shrinks the nasal tissues so that your sinuses can drain.

I have a probiotic but it's only 20 billion with 9 strains so I'll try yours when I run out of mine. Does a probiotic make the AB stop working?

I was on prescription strength Vit D last year and i still tested slightly low so I'll start taking that again.

I use a neti pot with saline and grapefruit extract. I have some oregon grape root extract that I could switch to if that would be better.

I'll research the oregano. thanks!

Ok. It does look like biofilms likely play a role in chrnic sinusitis.

I found this and it does talk about biofilms and physical removal (rinsing) http://www.boogordoctor.com/2011/02/5-step-program-to-eliminate-chronic-sinusitis/

Here is a report on a study (published, presented) about honey and topical use for sinusitis. I didn't look it up the actual study on pubmed. http://www.medindia.net/news/Chronic-Sinusitis-Causing-Biofilm-Killed-Using-Honey-42230-1.htm

Are you being treated for the allergies otherwise? My MIL has sinus issues that are helped my treating her allergies but I assume that's being handled/been explored for you.

This is interesting. Thank you, I'll be doing more research!

The dr. told me to quit taking my antihistamine because it can cause the sinuses to swell, making it hard for them to drain. Normally I take an antihistamine and get allergy shots. I haven't had a shot in over a month because I've felt so bad and the shots really take alot out of me.

I used to get sinus infections like that. I had surgery to correct a deviated septum and reduce my turbinates. It got a little better after that; I could breathe through my nose and I stopped getting ear infections constantly. After surgery, though, I could still count on every cold turning into an infection. Every infection required 2-3 rounds of antibiotics to treat. Some great advice I got here has made it so I haven't needed antibiotics for two years now.

When I get a cold:

I stop taking my antihistamine for as long as I can stand it...usually three days. If necessary, I'll take it for a day or two to calm my allergies and then stop for another two or three days. Antihistamines dry you up, keeping all of the germs up in your sinuses where they fester.

I start taking Sudafed (the one you have to sign for) and Mucinex around the clock per the box instructions until I'm past the point of risk of infection. I don't have to be 100% well before I stop, but my nose needs to be no longer super congested. There is a combo Sudafed/Mucinex that is cheaper than buying it separately. I think it is called Mucinex PM. This gets your mucus thinned and running, making it blowing your nose more productive. This moves the germs out of your sinuses.

I drink extra water.

I usually drink one 16 oz glass with two packets of Emergen-C per day.

If I have it on hand, I'll use Airborne at the first signs of a cold. Sometimes I won't get a full blown cold when I do this.

Try to rest more.

I haven't been to the doctor for a sinus infection in two years. This works every time.

Edited by joannqn

I second or third the probiotic recommendation. It will help your immunity, fight yeast, and protect you against CDiff.

I wound up with CDiff after taking three courses of AB last spring. I would not wish this on anyone. The last time I took AB, there was a warning on the label that I noticed being there for the first time. I think CDiff is now more common than MRSA.

I have a friend who discovered that yeast was causing her sinus problems. She had been on long term AB therapy for E.Coli, and now has chronic yeast problems.

Also, a friend's son was chronically ill with sinus related problems. Finally, they insisted he be swabbed and the bacteria cultured. They finally determined what it was that was causing the repeated problems. It was a bacteria that's usually in soil, one you wouldn't expect to find in a nose. With this information they were able to treat with an AB they knew would kill the bug. When that was done, they removed his adenoids so things can drain well and now he's a different kid.

Just some things to think about. First, I'd call the dr. and ask them to swab your nose for a culture. Then I'd go get some vitamin D3 and a probiotic, florastor or Jean's. Florastor you can take at the same time; Jean's you will want to take two or three hours after the AB.

Joannqn - Thanks! I forgot to mention that I've had 2 nasal surgeries to fix a deviated septum, widen my sinus opening and reduce the terbinates. I also don't have tonsils or adenoids.

I tried the round the clock sudafed/mucinex, but wasn't consistent with the medication ie I changed brands and medications. I'll try being consistent with the mucinex/sudafed; it is cheaper to buy them together and I believe you can get it at Sam's. MIL says that too much sudafed can give you a brain anuerism. I guess I'll just have to take my chances because non-stop sinus infections can't be good for the brain either.

NJKelli - Thanks for the info. If this doesn't go away soon I'll be back asking for a swab. My MIL got a swab and found out it was a strep infection.