Menu

If he liked the Eragon series (Paolini)

do you have any recommendations for other similar series or books? He has read LOTR already. This is for my newly turned 17 year old boy who is just getting back into reading for pleasure. He was a voracious reader until about age 14...hormones struck and reading for pleasure didn't happen. I bought him Inheritance for his birthday and he has rediscovered the enjoyment.

Has he read The Hunger Games? My almost-sixteen year old is reading those.

How about T. H. White?

Some of my favorite sci-fi/fantasy authors:

Neil Gaiman

Orson Scott Card

Marion Zimmer Bradley

Robert A. Heinlein

Ursula Le Guin

Douglas Adams

Anne McCaffrey

Patricia McKillip

Madeline L'Engle

Piers Anthony

Brian Jacques

Ray Bradbury

H. P. Lovecraft

Robin McKinley

Terry Pratchett

If he likes Robert Jordan, then the Wheel of Time books would keep him busy for quite a while. ;)

I'm almost finished with the fifth book in George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. I have two big complaints: 1. misogyny and 2. his desire to not follow convention is crushing the life out of the story. The *story* is the important thing. I feel like he's losing sight of that.

Edited by Mrs Mungo

Well, he's 17... Maybe start with David Eddings? Or Robert Jordan?

:iagree: Two of my favorite authors! I would begin with Eddings' The Belgariad. Fun, full of humor, great characters! Robert Jordan's series is a great read, too.

If he likes Robert Jordan, then the Wheel of Time books would keep him busy for quite a while. ;)

I'm almost finished with the fifth book in George R. R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series. I have two big complaints: 1. misogyny and 2. his desire to not follow convention is crushing the life out of the story. The *story* is the important thing. I feel like he's losing sight of that.

I've said it a couple times, but I am NOT a Martin fan and I think they are too adult for a new 17yo. As always, that's just my humble opinion ;) Eddings and Jordan both tackle fantasy with humor (even when Jordan's books get heavier there are still characters that provide a smile). Martin is almost always heavy (and IMO depressing) with few light-hearted moments.

My dh's favorite series is Dragonlance by Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman. It begins with Dragons of Autumn Twilight. Dd17 read these over a year ago and really enjoyed them. Another series where you find yourself laughing out loud.

do you have any recommendations for other similar series or books? He has read LOTR already. This is for my newly turned 17 year old boy who is just getting back into reading for pleasure. He was a voracious reader until about age 14...hormones struck and reading for pleasure didn't happen. I bought him Inheritance for his birthday and he has rediscovered the enjoyment.

Pretty much the same thing happened with ER! He loved, loved, loved the LOTR books and also the Inheritance Cycle. He's requested the Inheritance books for Christmas. He also enjoys reading books by Ted Dekker, Frank Peretti, and Michael Crichton.

Some of the Dekker books that he liked were the CIRCLE series, and some of the Peretti books that he enjoyed include This Present Darkness (one of my favorite books as well) & Piercing the Darkness, The Oath, The Visitation, and House (co-authored with Dekker). Although Crichton's works tend to be "R-rated", ER enjoyed the Jurassic Park books, Sphere, and Timeline.

Edited by ereks mom

He could try "The Adventures of Dod." The first book is free to download. I think it is written for upper elem. to jr high level. But he could still give it a try.;) I know about it because some of my nieces and nephews have read it and they liked it. Best of Luck!

Here is the link in case you are interested!

http://www.theadventuresofdod.com/

ETA: I forgot to say what type of book it is. Apparently it is a Fantasy book, kind of like Harry Potter. That is what they told me anyways. Good Luck!

Edited by ForeverFamily