Menu

Living without all the techy gadgets... anybody???

I'm talking Ipads, ipods, e readers, smart phones, gaming systems etc...

I want to simplify our life a lot but it's hard when the world throws all these neat gadgets at you..... and everyone around you convinces you how wonderful they are :confused:

Granted, I know some have a LOT of great stuff to offer..... but in my house they seem to create chaos.... We don't have smart phones or ipads....we have laptop, nook color and a Wii and PS.

We had bought the kids an Ipod touch but I have serious hesitation. I wanted them to have something to access the apple apps and this was in our budget....but honestly those apple apps are NOT necessary..... I know we can learn just fine without them. I also know there is other great stuff on there but honestly I am a pen and paper kinda girl.

I know a lot of you have all this great, wonderful stuff and I hope I'm not offending you :001_smile: I'm just curious if there is anybody out there like me??

Debbie

We have two computers (one laptop and one desktop) and two cell phones (no texting or internet) that the family share.

The boys have MP3 players (songs only).

We have no game systems nor anything else techie nor do I want anything else even in my wildest dreams. If the boys want to join the techie world when they leave for college, that's up to them.

I want to simplify our life a lot but it's hard when the world throws all these neat gadgets at you..... and everyone around you convinces you how wonderful they are :confused:

Granted, I know some have a LOT of great stuff to offer..... but in my house they seem to create chaos.... We don't have smart phones or ipads....we have laptop, nook color and a Wii and PS.

We had bought the kids an Ipod touch but I have serious hesitation. I wanted them to have something to access the apple apps and this was in our budget....but honestly those apple apps are NOT necessary..... I know we can learn just fine without them. I also know there is other great stuff on there but honestly I am a pen and paper kinda girl.

I know a lot of you have all this great, wonderful stuff and I hope I'm not offending you :001_smile: I'm just curious if there is anybody out there like me??

Debbie

I am and actually you have more than we do! :D We have one desk top that has internet one that is older and they use for games, a playstation 2 and each kid has a DS. No players or ipods or anything like that and sometimes I feel the things we do have are just a thing to aggravate.

We have my old computer here in the basement that I use. My dh has a laptop that he takes when he travels, that he got as a discount item because it was an old model.

He also has a blackberry that belongs to his employer. Somewhere, I have an MP3 player that I used for listening to when I was in labour. I don't really know how to work it though.

Sometimes I think about learning to use the MP3 player, but that is about it. I really like not being attached to wires all day, and I have absolutely no desire to have a phone, or for my kids to have a phone. I have a message thingy for my land-line, if people want me to call them they can leave a message.

We have a tv but it gets no stations, the kids use it to watch movies.

We're there too. A lot of it has to do with finances. I think the techy gadgets are a slippery slope. Once you start down that path, the financial burden just gets bigger and bigger. A smart phone needs a data plan. A gaming system needs games. Once one kid has xxx, the next ones need it too. Once we have the equipment, then the kids want to use it...a lot. None of it is necessary, but I am sure it is all fun.

:seeya: Pick me!

DH and I laugh on the few occasions when we have to walk into Best Buy that we are the un-techiest people we know!

He has a blackberry and a laptop - his laptop goes to the office with him everyday and he brings it home at night.

I have a laptop. And a pay as you go cell phone - people can text me (I actually prefer it to calls and it happens infrequently) but I tell them do not expect a text back.

We have no tv service - gorgeous tv, we watch dvds on it - we have been without tv service for almost two years.

No Playstation or anything like that -- my twins are unable to put those things down and do anything else - screen addiction I guess you would call it. No Wii -- thought about it, decided they can play it at other people's homes.

Unfortunately, the answer is pretty much a resounding NO when dh and I are asked for any new gadget -- dd12 was given a color nook last year for Christmas -- she used it mostly for emailing (which she only began doing when she was given the nook) and then she left the nook at the nail salon and it was gone when she remembered it 30 minutes later -- go figure -- she is not getting another one.

I have thought about an iPad -- and I may get one for myself in the near future - but that will be a HUGE thing for me, so then again I may not.

Truthfully, we have so much on our plate right now, more of anything would only make the delicate balance act we do every day more of a challenge.

No tv either. lol.

You got me there. We have one TV that we share. It's in our living room. Hubby had a guy tell him he thought it was modern day child abuse that kids didn't have their own TVs in their bedroom. We laughed about it. Apparently, our kids are abused... Of course, I think it was this same guy who was amazed that our kids could amuse themselves in the Dry Tortugas for 3 days with absolutely no electricity. (We were camping at the National Park there and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves snorkeling and exploring the fort.)

Two of my kids have borrowed laptops from their school. We have 1 desktop. We have 1 land-line phone (dh had a free cell phone but lost it :glare: ). We have 1 tv with 3 channels...we have a dvd/vcr with that tv. Oldest dd and ds have a tv in their rooms with an old dvd player (no tv reception). Ds has a PS2.

My oldest dd, who still lives at home, has a cell phone, ipod, and her own laptop she bought herself.

We're like this too. We have no tv, an old mobile phone (like a brick!) and a dying laptop. I have told the children absolutely no computer games, ever!

People make iPods and the like sound like you can't live without them, but I just don't see that I have a need for anything more at all.

Well, you’re not really “living without all of the techy gadgets†if you have a laptop, Nook, and two gaming systems, right? So, sure, there are plenty of people like you (i.e., folks who have purchased some of the “techy gadgets†and not others, folks who question the value of some of those “techy gadgets†over others).

I think that, like nearly everything else, technology purchases are a matter of deciding what works for your budget, your home, your lifestyle, your family.

We have way too much, but I can't get rid of anything!

We have a too-big TV in the living room (I think it's 32"), a wii, netflix, DirecTV (just lowered to cheapest package), laptop, desktop, my cell, dd's cell, dd's school laptop, and each kid has a nintendo ds.

Every single one of these things were gifts, and I don't know what my father would do or say if he visited and the "wonderfully thoughtful" gift of a new TV was gone, or the wii that I specifically said I did not want, or if I didn't replace a ds when it broke (extended warranty).

Maybe I could not pay the electric bill for a while...that would solve the problem! LOL. (just kidding)

we have laptop, nook color and a Wii and PS.

That actually sounds like a pretty typical list to me?

We have computers (almost one per person, except that my daughter keeps killing hers), cell phones including iPhones for my husband and me, iPods for the kids and a Wii. No e-readers or handheld gaming devices.

I think my son plugged in the Wii last month when he had friends over. Before that, I can't remember the last time anyone played with it.

My husband does own an iPad, but it hasn't come out of the box in several months.

The kids have cell phones because they are out and about in the world without us quite a bit, and we need to be able to touch base.

I had a simple cell phone until a few months ago, when my son almost missed out on a role because we were on the road and away from my e-mail. So, my husband bought me the iPhone because he found a good deal. It replaced my previous cell phone and the iPod, actually simplifying my life.

My son uses his phone quite a bit for texting with friends, a new development about which I have very mixed feelings. Other than that, they are just tools to make our lives easier.

I guess to some it looks like we have a lot, but it doesn't rule our lives. They mostly just help to keep us connected.

Debbie

Well honestly you have a lot more techie stuff than we have.

We don't have any of the things you mentioned you don't have nor do we have any of the things you mention having (we don't even own a TV or watch any movies online). My cell phone is a prepaid and I use maybe 2-3 times a month. I have no idea how to text nor to I have any desire to learn.

Our "techie" gadgets are limited to 3 desktop computers (one for me, one for my husband and one for the 5 kids to share). We have a few veggie tales on DVD and a few computer games but the kids only get to do that stuff maybe once a month. Any time we let the kids watch movies/play games it turns into a big fight fest over who is doing what, so and so got more time than me and then a begging fest for days afterward for more time doing movie/games. Hence they get next to nothing in time for these things and their behavior so much better and they can actually play nicely with each other. They turn into grumpy beligerant kids when we allow much electronic media around.

That said I am getting a ipad in a couple of days. Because I can use it without turning into a grumpy beligerant parent. Time will tell whether or not kids will be allowed to use it. But I have no desire to own any of the rest of the stuff that are "hot" electronic items.

You have more than we have we have here.

hubby and I each have laptop. The girls have 1 to share for teaching textbooks. it does not get internet.

Hubby and I each have a cell phone, no texting plan. it only makes calls. We share the plan with my mom and dad and there is still one more phone we can add to the plan.

The girl do have a v-tech game thingy. ONLY because it was $0.25 at a church rummage sale and came with 10 games.

They do not have tv's in their room nor any hand-held game things. We do audio books in the car or they read books.

I, and they, want an I pad. we were at the store and they are soooo fascinating.... :drool: you can turn the pages of a book by sliding your finger.

Robin in NJ

I don't think that tech toys are necessary to learning. In fact one of the techie-est people I know did math with a slide rule in school and learned to program on room sized computers. Because of his excellent non-tech background he was able to master the technology.

That said, by the time kids leave then nest there are some technical skills they need: knowing how to send an email, utilize digital photography at a basic save and insert level, use a word processor, a spread sheet and a presentation program (including printing and saving these documents), research on the internet, make a phone call and send a text message on a cell phone, and perhaps set up and use a streaming service and a message board or chat room.

I don't say this because I think they need it because a technical education is better than a tech free education. Or because I am trying to justify computers and smart phones. I have made as brief a list as possible to reflect the skills that it seems folks need to participate in a college/university setting or on the job. Needless to say there is a healthy dose of discernment and judgment about the use of these tools that needs to be taught as well. Also, not every 5yo needs these skills but they probably need to be gained somewhere between the ages of 14 and 18 if they aren't learned earlier.

We're somewhere in the middle.

The adults in our house have a fair amount to techie stuff: my DH and I each have an older iPod Touch, iPads, and an iPhone. I also have a 1st edition Nook.

We don't have a TV, gaming systems, or any other electronic toy for the boys.

I think you can strike a balance with technology if you make sure you have the tech that does a useful job that you actually need done.

We have a 15 yr old tv, no reason to replace it as it works and a couple of old computers which probably could do with replacing as they are forever getting repaired. We also have a couple of mp3 players that save me space on storing cds plus the mp3 version of things are usually cheaper. I have an android phone and dh has a simple older phone.

I think some of the newer technology is actually less invasive than the old stuff simply because it works better. I love my android phone because its so quick to do multiple jobs that previously would have required me to wait for the computer to start up. Especially since its generally not possible to use the phone book as a quick reference now its like a 1/3 of the size and really incomplete. Things like looking up maps/addresses or checking prices of things takes only a few seconds so feels less invasive and distracting than using the older computer for the same job.

I am not sure about games consoles, I've never really been into them but I can see how they could be a problem thing to own. People get addicted.

My BIL replaces all his technology items about once a year and owns every games console. I can't help thinking that for all the money he has spent on technology, dvds and games over the years he could have had a deposit for a house.

thanks everyone....YES we do have more "technology" than some..... wish we didn't have it though.... and I hate feeling the "pull" to get MORE :001_huh:

I seriously want to take the Ipod touch back, it's unopened. I know we don't NEED it....

I am seriously considering getting rid of the PS2.... the Wii we do use for netflix viewing though..

The TV will stay....even though it's an old tube type..LOL... and is barely working...

The NOOK color.... I now realize we could have done fine without it :tongue_smilie:

We have a laptop, and a simple cell phone. DH doesn't even know how to check the cellphone VM, and neither of us has a clue how to text.

I have an iPod for listening to MP3s (mostly lectures on education and sermons). I got it because I was tired of always lugging my laptop around to listen to stuff, or burning everything to CD.

We have a tv stashed in a closet somewhere around here, but no reception. We pulled it out to watch the Olympics a few years back - it about killed us to subscribe to cable for a month! :lol:

We have a television without cable but with Netflix streaming service. Computers, including tablets, but no games. I ditched my smartphone but my husband has a smartphone he needs for work. We do not own and never will own a gaming system. (We both grew up playing lots of computer and gaming system games, and we're very anti-video game as a consequence.)

We aren't very techie...I have an old cell phone (no texting), and old iMac (the kids use) and a newer Mac (for me). DD11 has a Sansa mp3 player and ds9 has a CD player. DH has an iPhone, an older iPod Touch and a laptop--but he owns his own biz and needs them. Really, my kids don't have time for gaming systems. Any free time (beyond school, extra curriculars and chores) they spend playing creatively, and I like it that way. Besides which, all those things are expensive. They would love them though!