Skadi Posted November 28, 2011 Share Posted November 28, 2011 (edited) This is a hypothetical question regarding parenting and raising ones children to conform to societal norms. Assume that you are a parent living in a nation were a certain set of views are extremely dominant. You personally find these beliefs to be not only horribly wrong, but immoral and destructive as well. They may be religious beliefs, moral beliefs, philosophical or political beliefs - its going to vary from person to person. Assume that the dominant belief is something you find totally repugnant. Furthermore, in this nation in which you live, the great majority of people fervently adhere to these repugnant views. If you express your disbelief to 90% of the population, they will immediately dislike you, believe you to be either totally evil, idiotic, or both. Even the other 10% will be wary of you and likely express vocal disagreement. Only 1% will be willing to have a conversation with you or consider your opinions. Some people will even assault you if they discover that you are a non-believer, and there is a good chance that if police learn the reason for this assault that they'll look the other way or prosecute you as the aggressor, as they share the same hatred for those who don't conform as the rest of society. If your employers learn of your beliefs they will likely fire you and face no repercussions. If you own a business and your beliefs become public knowledge, the great majority of people will stop patronizing your business. All schools teach these dominant views and universally teach that people who do not adhere are reprehensible monsters. Technically speaking, there are no laws against your own beliefs or expressing them, just the extreme social pressure described above. You have children and want to raise them in the best way you can; this includes teaching them right from wrong along with teaching them what you believe to be the truth. Unfortunately, if you teach them what you believe, they may well face hatred and discrimination for the rest of their lives or may face a life of being in the closet about what they believe and staying silent while others demean them unknowingly. It may well mean that as your children grow into adults, they may have a very hard time finding spouses, because they must either keep their beliefs secret even from their girlfriends/boyfriends or they must try to find that 1% of people who would grudgingly withhold judgment. Alternatively, you can stay silent about what you believe and allow society to raise your children in that they are taught not only to hold beliefs that you find repugnant but also to despise anyone who disagrees. Assume that you cannot leave you nation nor can you significantly change it through activism. You cannot otherwise avoid the decision. Do you raise your children to agree with you or to conform to society? Edited November 28, 2011 by Skadi Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.