Menu

Need Road Trip Geography Ideas

TXMary2

We are going on a road trip in June and I need some creative ideas for geography lesssons, for my 2nd grader, along the way. I have map outline books and Wonder Maps. I thought I could make copies of maps for each state we are going to/through and make a copy of the U.S. map.

I thought on the U.S. map we could mark our route. I am thinking of doing notebook pages. After we return home we will do a scrapbook.

I need some creative ideas that will be easy to do on the road.

One of our favorite road trip activities is to buy postcards along the way (available everywhere even gas stations). The kids write on the back of the postcard about the area we're in or an activity we did or something they saw. We hole punch the card and put it on a binder clip. And there is our journal of the road trip. As the years progress, so does the writing and what they choose to write about.

One of our favorite road trip activities is to buy postcards along the way (available everywhere even gas stations). The kids write on the back of the postcard about the area we're in or an activity we did or something they saw. We hole punch the card and put it on a binder clip. And there is our journal of the road trip. As the years progress, so does the writing and what they choose to write about.

That's a great idea! I could see getting extras to go in the scrapbook too - thanks!

We took this on a trip with us in September, and the kids loved it.

We drove from Texas to Florida, and I found some great history and science (local wildlife) resources on each of the states' webpages. I got several free educational workbooks to print off. A google search for "state name printables" will get you some good things as well.

Edited by mandymom

* US Outline Map w/ state postal codes - makr off the license plates you see, mark odd the states as you drive through them and other states you've previously been to

* AAA maps - highlight the route ahead of time. Discuss tons of things from the map

* Early reader books (I found these better b/c they weren't totally overloaded w/ more info than I'd even want to read - Allan Fowler might have some) on each state that you read as you cross the state line

* emails and letters sent ahead of time to the visitors/ Convention bureaus

* Postcards from each state

* Photos (do this VERY carefully) of each "welcome" state sign as you drive past and then scrapbook these

* State and capital songs/ geography songs

* HAVE FUN!!!

* Let her drive - it'll be memorable:auto:

My DD always watches the license plates on road trips. She brings a blackline map of the US and colors in each state she sees. It becomes a whole family thing with all of us watching plates. DH has been known to speed up or slow down just to see a plate for DD. LOL

For older kids, writing down colleges represented by stickers, flags, etc on cars can be fun.