Menu

What "little" thing has made you really happy lately?

Today I was able to find a beautiful tree skirt for our Christmas tree AND 5 candles of the correct color for our advent wreath.

Big deal, right?

Except that I live in a Muslim country and just two years ago there were no Christmas decorations to be had ANYWHERE. So the fact that one store in the mall had some was a little thing that really made my day!!

How about you?

Just had friends over for dinner last evening. We are generally so busy; weekends pack all the stuff we couldn't get to all week long, but with the four-day Thanksgiving weekend, we had a nice dinner and I didn't spend the entire day stressing about time.

Friday was a perfect day with nothing happening, just us. It was a moment in time I'm not likely to get very often from here on out. Dd was a relaxed college girl with all of her friend's away for break and it was like old times. I don't even know how to explain it, the kids think I'm crazy.

My husband makes paper plates. He gets a case of them for $5.00. One of our friends works in the office of a poultry processing plant. She gets bags of chicken at the end of the week. She called and asked about doing a trade. So for a case of plates, we got enough chicken to fill our freezer. She also gave us a few bags of frozen veggies from their garden.

It's under $20, and I thought for sure it would never work. :001_huh:

We have a very high ceiling, and a 10' tall pre-lit artificial Christmas tree. Over the past couple of years, almost all of the lights have quit working in big sections. I'd try to fix it, but couldn't tell where or how to even start. There is no money to replace the tree, so we'd resorted to trying to string lights on it every year. It was no fun, and it looked kind of stupid too.

The gun thing worked! We've got almost all of the sections working again! :party:

I don't know if this is considered little or not, but the other day I found out a friend set up a homeschool field trip to Legoland for December 16th and she needed more kids. DH and I had talked about taking the kids for our anniversary which is the 15th but we could not afford it. She emailed me and asked if we wanted to go on the field trip which will only be about $5 a person. Right date and right price.

OKay, this is going to sound really bad. I probably will get scorched for it, but it is making me happy though as a side affect of someone else's misery. Bad me...bad me.

Two of my three boys have colds. It's kind of settled into their throats and though I could cure it with hot toddy's for them, they've informed me that they hate the taste and will suffer along thank you very much. Well, it's ended with them losing their voices and since they spent much of yesterday bickering a bit, it is now blissfully peaceful in the house since all they can do is whisper. I am under no illusion that this will last for long. They'll eventually want their voices back and I'll do my mommy duty and cure them. But, for the moment, I'm reveling in the peace!

Faith

The hug my daughter gave me yesterday....it was so genuine.

The extra sleep I got this morning because my husband took over the kid's morning routine.

The way my son is learning this week to clean up his toys before moving on the the next activity. WooHoo!!!

The fact that my husband is soooo busy at work. It is good.

Edited by Once

fragrant, sweet, commonplace.

1. The luthier's bill for the restoration of my maternal grandfather's violin was a fraction of what I thought it would be. She confirmed what I already knew: that it is a wonderfully fine instrument with much character. Miss M-mv(i) has discovered its rich voice. This will be quite a year for musician and instrument, both, I think.

2. The Misses are playing Christmas carols for their piano teacher. After a year of difficult exercises and even more difficult study pieces, they have spent November 23 through December 23 of each of the last three years working on Christmas arrangements that appeal to them. And it sounds lovely.

3. When I noticed the leak under the kitchen sink on Friday morning, I called our plumber, thinking I would leave a message that would be received on Monday -- appointment, Tuesday. He answered on the first ring, though, offered to come the same day but hoped Saturday morning would be all right. Was it ever. Ninety minutes, two replacement parts, and a very modest bill later, the kitchen was restored to its usual order.

4. We visited the zoo on Thanksgiving. It's an offbeat way to spend the day, but a number of other families seemed to share our enthusiasm for it. No crowds. Pleasant-enough temps. Happy dolphins. A good time. And I now I am cooking another feast. Mmmmm. Can you smell that turkey? It has a different scent when it cooks drama-free. Heh, heh, heh.

5. Cinnamon brooms from Trader Joe's are back in stock. Need a good hostess gift? Wrap three or four brooms in festive tissue and tie with raffia.

There are more things like this. Little things that make me smile, appreciate.

Good thread.

Edited by Mental multivitamin

I really like this thread. My contribution?

Saw my little baby on the ultrasound on Tuesday. There really IS a baby in there!

Congratulations! :001_smile:

For me? I'm learning to sing again and for the first time I'm not feeling self-conscious. Just sing those old hymns and give praise to God. :D

DD13 and I were talking about Christmas presents. I told her I was thinking about giving ds17 a camera. She looked sad, and said "but then he won't ask to borrow mine!". She was truly sad, that she wouldn't get to share with him any more.

DD13 and DS17 are so kind to each other sometimes, it just makes me so happy to think about how strong their relationship is, and how much they respect each other.

5. Cinnamon brooms from Trader Joe's are back in stock. Need a good hostess gift? Wrap three or four brooms in festive tissue and tie with raffia.

:iagree: Those things bring more happiness into our house than anything!!! I love those things!

I'm thankful today that TWO friends brought cakes/sweets to my house, knowing it is my birthday. And, I don't usually get a cake because my son's birthday is the day before. Lovely!! And, very sweet!

DH passed away in 2008 and I have not really felt like doing Christmas since then. DD7 has been asking for a 'big' tree so yesterday we bought and decorated a much larger tree than we normally have. Anyway, DD wrote me a note to thank me for buying and putting up our tree. Her sweet gesture really warmed my heart.