Menu

BFSU question

AimeeM

How necessary is it to start with volume 1? My 10 year old daughter naturally inclined to science (her one real "niche") and from the reviews I am reading, it seems that volume 1 would bore her to tears - also seems like a lot of prep work for little result at her age.

Would it be a bad idea to skip straight to volume 2?

I feel it would be necessary for you to atleast own BFSU I. You could download the pdf for only $5 from this site. This is not a printable pdf, but you can refer to it for ideas for extra reinforcement in some areas or for certain lessons that your dd may need more basic knowledge in.

The reason I feel BFSU 1 is essential, atleast as a reference, is because BFSU follows a particular sequence in lessons and this flow is seamlessly continued into BFSU 2. Also, there are many important fundamental concepts that I feel the need to go back to as a parent, even though I may not implement those lessons with my ds.

ETA: Another reason to own BFSU1 - Each BFSU lesson lists down the required pre-requisite knowledge, and here you will find that BFSU 2 will often refer to previous lessons in BFSU 1.

Edited by Free

I'm using vol. 1 with an 8 year old and a 10 year old, so that they have a good understanding of all the background before we do BFSU 2 and 3. Many of the book suggestions do work for my dd8. I added in Bill Nye videos for both kids, and ds10 reads a section from the Kingfisher Science Encyclopedia, which happens to be one of his favorite books. It is an easy adjustment to make!